have you ever saved a life??

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you ever saved a life of a human or an animal.lets hear your story:cool:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope,but there are about six ravens with babies hanging around my house.Its like having japanese dive bombers all around my house.With that being said Im thinking I may take a few!
catmando!

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that will be my next thread..what have you killed latley..lol..i killed a couples beers no so long ago:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last night our Guinea pigs had kids ...3 to be exact ....any ways the smallest one was still with the amniotic sack ..I peeled it off and hold do a little mouth to mouth ....anyways after about 5 minutes ..the little unit was breathing ..stayed up till 4 with them then I was feeding it warm milk and sugar with a dropper.........

won't go into detail about my ambulance life or trucking up and down the road coming upon all kinds of wrecks .....not enough paper ;)

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope,but there are about six ravens with babies hanging around my house.Its like having japanese dive bombers all around my house.With that being said Im thinking I may take a few!
catmando!

Same here but mine are sparrows!!! wanted to use the 4-10 but figured i'd be reported so i settled for the .177 rifle pellet gun. First shot, hit & killed dada. It was to the point my young kids wouldn't play on the playset or trampoline cause those little ba$tards were always charging them. I showed them both the dead bird i shot and now i can't keep them out of the back yard. They love it back there.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am no EMT like others…..couldnt do that job but sure have respect for those that do…..….but I have numerous times come across accidents both on the hiway and in the back country and helped to save both people and animals, even had my horse I was riding on a road just outside of Grande Cache, break through the road and into a rotten culvert, cut his leg to the bone….did you know there’s no vet in Grande Cache, we do now….. bandaged him up and gave him some bute and wound up taking him to Hinton….to get stitches…took 4 months and 4 more trips to the vet but hes back to normal.

But the one that I think about how fraile we are and how quick things can happen….

Was out with the family at a camp ground that offered horseback riding, as we were waiting our turn (predates going back to the farm) spotted the owner riding at a gallop chasing a runaway horse. Blocking our line of site was a small shed, first you see a horse then horse and rider but coming out the other side was two horses no rider.....waited for just a few seconds then went to look and found him face down in the only mud puddle around.
I knelt down and carefully but pressure on his neck pulling away from his shoulders, and then lifted his head from the water……..he gasped for air and started breathing, but remained unconscious. I called out to others and they brought some blankets and covered him has he stated to go into shock. Some wanted to move him, but I would not allow it. A Edm fire fighter showed up and agreed he and I should remain there until the Paramedics arrived. Stars Air Ambulance showed up and the RCMP about the same time.

It had been 25 mins sitting there and my legs and arms were completely numb it took only a few minutes for the Stars guys to take over….I thought it funny when the guy goes to take control of the poor guys head from me he just grabbed his head and pushed me over…..it took a couple of minutes for some blood to move back into my arms and legs…..a lady watching said something to the EMT, but it really was the only way….but it must have looked odd.
He did wind up breaking his neck, he lost only some minor ability in his upper body and he slurs is words abit…but he is still alive. He was an accomplished horseman, no one saw why or how he came off and he doesn’t even remember the day….but in a split second he came off a galloping horse and found his way into a puddle only 2’ in dia and just deep enough to drown in….

Wow just putting down some of the details brings back the feelings....feels good to be alive....great thread.....

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
playing street hockey in at hotel in canmore when i was around 10-11ish! we were there for a real tournament and were just messing around in the parking lot of the hotel we were staying at. all the parents were inside, we were out playing street hockey of course!!!! my little sister, about 4 at the time, was out and i was supposed to keep an eye on her i think. anyways, didn't happen. she wandered down to the pond cause there were ducks in it. still had lots of ice but open in the middle. she stepped out a little too far and went in. we heard the scream and the other kids ran into get some parents and i b-lined it for the pond. ran down and grabbed her by the hood of her snow suite. she was fully under the water. drug her up to the parking lot by the time the parents got there. she never drowned or anything, luckily i got there fast enough i guess!!!!! pretty scary though!!!!!!!!

another one i was working on a gravel crusher north of yellowknife. we had a large jaw set up to break down the giant boulders into something our crusher could handle. every once in a while the boulders would jam in the mouth of the jaw. we would go up and try and pry a boulder loose, or have to shut it down and chain hoist one or 2 out to get things going. sometimes all you had to do was push on 1 rock just right and everything would fall in again. so one time things were gummed at in the jaw, and me and buddy were up there prying on the rocks. he decides to push on a rock on the far side of the mouth, with his FOOT, while the machine is running!!!!!!!!!!!!! they all let go and he started to fall in with them. i caught him by the back of his pants and hauled him up and out!!!! another 2 feet and the jaw would have caught him, then there would have been nothing left but paste!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say, i didn't have to buy anymore beer that summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
S

sldgy

We were stuck in a drift during a white-out blizzard, saw something out of the corner of my and jumped several feet to push my snowmobile buddy out of the way of an out-of-control 4X4 that was trying to break through the drift we were stuck in. I could never duplicate that jump if I tried 100 times.

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Working in the ER , we pretty well perform life saving tasks daily......
Although ,last month I delivered a baby on the on ramp of the ER ....Had no idea what I was doing but went outside only to see a head poking out , luckily I had grabbed some blankets on the way out , so just helped by comforting ,and told her to breathe and take it easy and the babe just popped right out into the blanket , just massaged the baby and she started to cry!!It was exciting...

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great job on the baby..

Last summer quad riding at ram falls we stopped for a rest. We hear this help help calls. We road up the trail to see and found a rolled quad down a cliff. Two people the guy was shaken up and the girl had a leg missing a lot of skin and flesh. I used my first aid kit to patch her up. We sent a guy to drive to humming bird stagging area to their camp to get a truck to drive her to Rocky hospital.She returned the next day to say thanks and told us about all the stiches. Still don"t know who she is.

I don't count all the people saved at work since thats my job.

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
out at bruderhiem in the spring, it was nice out, but still cold and snow and ice on the river. we were at our campsite when we hear people screaming help from down in the river. We jumped on our quads and whent to find the people screaming. turns out it was two young guys that had borrowed their dads quad and were out playing on the river when the ice broke and their dads quad slipped down under the layers of ice. They knew their dad would be pissed so they thought it would be a good idea to strip down to their boxers and dive in, feel around and try to hook a winch line on to it. We made a nice big fire and kept them from getting hypothermia. We did save the quad, dont know if that counts as saving a life though:)

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
out at bruderhiem in the spring, it was nice out, but still cold and snow and ice on the river. we were at our campsite when we hear people screaming help from down in the river. We jumped on our quads and whent to find the people screaming. turns out it was two young guys that had borrowed their dads quad and were out playing on the river when the ice broke and their dads quad slipped down under the layers of ice. They knew their dad would be pissed so they thought it would be a good idea to strip down to their boxers and dive in, feel around and try to hook a winch line on to it. We made a nice big fire and kept them from getting hypothermia. We did save the quad, dont know if that counts as saving a life though:)

thats almost better than saving a life:beer:

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it was my quad..you would have saved two lives..just sayin;)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Helped save a fellow sledders life last year....he was badly lost and we found the ravine/creek is was in and 12 hours later, able to get him and his sled out.... It was posted in another story previously..........

Also helped save a fellow fort saskatchewan snow angel's life, as he had a aneurism up on the first saddle in mcbride during a severe whiteout snowstorm.... It was also posted in previous stories........

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last night our Guinea pigs had kids ...3 to be exact ....any ways the smallest one was still with the amniotic sack ..I peeled it off and hold do a little mouth to mouth ....anyways after about 5 minutes ..the little unit was breathing ..stayed up till 4 with them then I was feeding it warm milk and sugar with a dropper.........

won't go into detail about my ambulance life or trucking up and down the road coming upon all kinds of wrecks .....not enough paper ;)

Awwww....H2 your just a big softy!!!!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
ummmm I never killed booger when I met him....so that is like saving a life isn't it? :p

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out for lunch one day and a guy that was sitting beside me started chocking pretty bad..turned blue..etc. He turned his back to me and I gave him the Heimlich maneuver which released the piece of steak that was lodged in his throat..then he began to vomit which was gross but it happens. I have never had to do it before but it was quite the experience.

Top Bottom