Hauling a skid steer in a dump trailer

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I buggered up the hitch on my 18' deck over trailer that I haul my skid steer on and I think its going to be a total loss. When hauling snow, I have a single axle dump truck with a 7'x14' box I use to pull the trailer and when just piling snow I pull the trailer with my F350. I am concidering selling the dump truck and replacing the trailer with a 7'x14' or 16' dump trailer. I am afraid it may be a pain in the a$$ to work with as I usually unload, load and chain down 3-4 times in an evening. Any one running a set up like this?

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
I like to haul mine in my 16' triaxle goose, just can't get all the attachments in so most times I use the tag 20'. Tie down is quick compared to the dump wagon. As you know it's just one of them things when doing multi locations.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've hauled a skid steer in 14' dump pull behind and now a 16' goose triaxle. I have a 80" bucket that fits perfectly inside. Any bigger and its a huge pain in the ass if the bucket doesn't fit. You will need to extend your ramps 2' and weld on some small pieces for traction going up and downin the winter.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the ramp length. My deck over has a 2' beaver as well as the ramp and it can get a little hairy if your low on fuel, carrying a tooth bucket inside the snow bucket and backing onto the trailer, cost me a pair of underwear the first time it happened!

Last edited:

blar

Reaction score
I haul mine in a 7 x 16 dump trailer, I think 14' would be tight with a bucket and my 78" snow bucket fits nice. Just a word of advice if you are buying a dump trailer look at a low boy. I couldn't drive mine on forward because the ramp angle was to steep. When I had it on backwards the weight of the skid steer wasn't over the axles and made it hitch heavy. I made some extensions to cut down the angle but now I can drive it on forward. I also bolted on some expanded metal to the ramps for traction.

dump trailer 1.jpg dump trailer 2.jpg

Last edited:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haul mine in a dump trailer it is kinda a pain to strap it down, and as mentioned loading forward is kinda out of the question but then with my trailer i am way to hitch light with it in forwards anyway. The dump trailer is nice cause its multi purpose but some days i wish i just had a big flat deck cause it would make it easier to haul the auger and such with you.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it would be considered safe, but couldn't you install some sort of wheel chocks that you could pin to the trailer deck?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the ramp length. My deck over has a 2' beaver as well as the ramp and it can get a little hairy if your low on fuel, carrying a tooth bucket inside the snow bucket and backing onto the trailer, cost me a pair of underwear the first time it happened!

Off topic but when I first started driving a bobcat for work I was told to load it and a bunch of accessories on a trailer. Went up and unhooked the snow bucket and forks, then tried to back down. I have never been more scared lol it tipped onto the back , but I thought for sure I was going to roll a full circle. That was a mistake I only made once lol

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight guys. Now I am reconsidering. My main business for my skid steer is snow piling and hauling in the winter and don't do much work with it in the summer so making it easiest for that type of work would be the priority. I just hate seeing my dump truck sitting 8 months of the year costing me insurance and such but not getting used. A dump trailer I figure may be handier to have but now I'm not sure what to think.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight guys. Now I am reconsidering. My main business for my skid steer is snow piling and hauling in the winter and don't do much work with it in the summer so making it easiest for that type of work would be the priority. I just hate seeing my dump truck sitting 8 months of the year costing me insurance and such but not getting used. A dump trailer I figure may be handier to have but now I'm not sure what to think.

Definitely tough to see it sit like that. We used the same setup for firewood with a single axle dump and a flatdeck. The nice thing is you can haul snow and the loader at the same time, but only you would know how often you would actually do that.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't ever have to haul snow in the box and pull the loader on the trailer so that part should be ok. Just looking at some manufactures sites and they have what they are calling a low pro series. 24" deck height with 78" rams for loading on a 16' trailer. I may go have a look at one of these and see what they are about. To bad the manufactures doesn't some type of system built into the trailer deck for securing equipment other than the D rings.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know if would be considered safe enough, but if a guy could load forward and have some sort of system in the front the bucket would slid under and hold the front then tieing down the rear with the trailer doors open would be easy. the only other problem i see with loading forward is we all know what rocks do to pricey front doors.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I dont know if would be considered safe enough, but if a guy could load forward and have some sort of system in the front the bucket would slid under and hold the front then tieing down the rear with the trailer doors open would be easy. the only other problem i see with loading forward is we all know what rocks do to pricey front doors.

CAT offer's poly doors instead of Glass........ so instead of being shattered, they can just be scratched to absolute ****!

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was thinking along the same lines. Rocks are an issue. I wonder how bad it would get pelted with the front of the dump trailer being higher?

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think alot of it would be the rocks that go over your truck and hit it. I doubt with the dump trailer being higher in the front something from your wheels would hit. All else fails hang cardboard over the door. Just a pain in the a$$ every time you load up. They should make something that just clips on the the door to protect it. Some kinda plastic cover that snaps into rubbers like quad side panels.

Sent from my S5 while I am slacking at work.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have hauled bobcats for over 20 years and never took out a window from a rock maybe lucky another question who blocks the exhaust with a rag when they haul it backwards so the turbo dosnt spin I never have and never taking a turbo out

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing something here? Blocking the exhaust doesnt make sense to me cause you would need airflow through the engine to spin the turbo, right! So at any given time in a 4 stroke engine there is only the intake or the exhaust valve open in any given cylinder at any given time! So once the cylinder fills with air through the exhaust valve it has no where to go. Both intake and exhaust valves in the same cylinder would have to be open in order to get airflow. So where is this airflow that would turn the turbo? Is it possible for the air to flow through the EGR valve? Yes I have seen the odd truck being hauled on a lowboy that had the stacks duct taped shut. Another one of them things that make you go Hmmmm. Sorry, way off topic here.

I have hauled bobcats for over 20 years and never took out a window from a rock maybe lucky another question who blocks the exhaust with a rag when they haul it backwards so the turbo dosnt spin I never have and never taking a turbo out

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You have a dump truck and skid steer soley for hauling and pushing snow? That is insane. Not enough snow work around Alberta for that.

why do you want a dump trailer if you have a dump truck? If you want to get rid of the dump truck, look at load trails triaxle gooseneck 16ft, you could have some good loads and the skid steer easy with an 80" bucket.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in Sk and I look after some busy fast food restaurants that like to have their drive thru and parking lots down down to the pavement at all times. They also only like it to sit in a pile for a day or so and then I have to haul it.

I was thinking if I had a dump trailer with more capacity, my truck is only a single axle, the option could be there to get into a little more dirt work and material delivery in the summer months. I already have an F350 to pull a trailer.

Top Bottom