Skid Steers

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I teach my guys when learning to drive a skid steer is to drive it like a vehicle. Just because you can spin it on one spot doesn’t mean you should. When possible turn with sweeping curves rather than tight turns. Tires/wheels last much longer. Should be called a drive steer not a skid steer.

Tires it's not too bad on, but seeing guys doing donuts with tracks on gravel makes me cringe. So hard on the undercarriage. But a smooth surface with tires? If it's for production and done smoothly it's doesn't bother me, I do it all the time. Tires are cheap and it makes things a lot quicker.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big thing with tracks is cleaning them out, not as big of deal in the summer but still a good idea. Dirt packs in and if it's expands it can push sprocket out and leak drive oil and they don't hold much and it damages the seal, or freeze a roller in place and create a flat spot.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked those up for about $1600 and installed myself both sides in about 1 1/2 hours.. got pretty good at installing tracks over the years..LOL

That is cheap, where did you get them from? I got new tracks for my mini hoe from Force Heavy in Calgary few months ago for $2700 I believe but they are a fair bit bigger. Doing tracks on a CTL is a pain, excavator is so much easier as the machine can do all the work.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get a pattern changer on the D series Cat's that with the flip of a switch changes from ISO to H Pattern.

You can on the Bobcats as well, mine just didn’t have that option.

Dads Cat has that setup but I don’t drive it enough to switch it around when I am using it. I typically jump in the track hoe instead and let him take the skid steer work.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice unit. My new work has a wheeled Deer, I can’t believe how much tech they put in then compared to the old units I’ve run before.

It's not a good thing. I spent a full day tracking down 1 broken wire on mine that prevented the aux hydraulics from working. Nothing wrong with them actually working, but the computer shuts them down. Sure the radio and AC is nice, but other then that give me back the machines from 20 years ago, they are a million times better.

One thing I will say about the Deere's is it's nice how easy the cab goes up to service everything.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep the floor flat and smooth and life is good and dont spin the effing tires

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and check the track tension at least every 50 hours. Reminded me as I threw a track on mine today. Working on a bit of a side hill with them too loose and they come off really easy. I don't check mine nearly as much as I should as it's a pain because the lift cylinders leak down too fast to keep the machine in the air. At least i'm getting quicker putting them back on....

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The prices on the skid steers was nuts at Ritchie Bros in Nisku. There was a 1998 Bobcat that the hydraulics were not working it was 22K plus fees, tire units. The best pricing on a older Bobcat was 15500 that had 6000+ hours and was a 1997. This deer unit was 42500 plus fees. I was looking at a few bobcats, some Caterpillars and a few Case units, even with the higher hours they were still bringing in a good dollar.

I like hearing that, 'cuz I'm thinking of selling mine. :D

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is it?

1990 Bobcat 743.

kristenw.jpg

Top Bottom