Haulin rzr 800s

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'll measure next time I've got it up there. I came back from vernon with it up there, went right by the golden scale and never had any issues so I might be just under.

Edit: I know he also consulted with DOT when building these so probably made sure they would be ok.
I guess if your over height just let some air out of the front tires.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
You do realize that the max height allowed by DOT is 13' 6"?

Dont try running that rig by Valemont or Golden scales, they will nail you. Golden and most scales in BC now have auto height lasers on the road and know your height long before you reach the scales. When your in the shack a real nice loud alarm goes off to notify the boys that an over height is coming. Its not so much the ticket, its the fact that they will make sure your running legal height before you can leave. Parked on the spot.

My fifth wheel is over 13' 6" with the a/c and vent covers, and I've never had an issue. Been thru that area more than a few times. Pretty sure that chipper trucks and a lot of van bodies are sitting right around 14' too now. DOT is US. Canada is Transport Canada.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My fifth wheel is over 13' 6" with the a/c and vent covers, and I've never had an issue. Been thru that area more than a few times. Pretty sure that chipper trucks and a lot of van bodies are sitting right around 14' too now. DOT is US. Canada is Transport Canada.
Transport Canada makes the rules, CVSE (Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement) enforces the rules, DOT is the slang that the vast majority uses when referring to them. I guess slang is now banned from this site?

As for chip trucks they do have a tolerance level they can achieve over 13 foot 6 inches, I believe it is an allowance to go to 4.25 meters because of the fluidity of the cargo. Vans are maxed out at 13'6" and they enforce that to a letter. There are circumstances where you can get a permit in the province of BC to exceed 4.15 meters (13 foot 6 inches) but each is based on pre approved exemptions. This is all province of BC information, I have no idea how they handle heights in Alberta. I work with overheight situations almost daily and know the rules very well.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and here is another link which states the maximum height in Alberta is only 4.00 meters, that surprises me. 4 meters translates to 13' 1 1/4 ".

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
and here is another link which states the maximum height in Alberta is only 4.00 meters, that surprises me. 4 meters translates to 13' 1 1/4 ".

And this link has a box at the very beginning that states "this information IS (not "may be") out dated".

Can CVSE enforce rules over anything NOT commercial?

Like I said..... I'm over, haven't had an issue anywhere in Alberta or BC yet, and will continue to travel both provinces. Perhaps RV builders should be made aware of this, as I'm "over height" before I even add accessories.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This link states that the maximum height for ANY vehicle is 13' 8". Not the 13' 6" that you previously stated.
Canada is a metric country, the max allowed in that situation is 4.15 meters which if you use any metric conversion or stretch out a combo tape it translates to 13' 6.155". The stated 13' 8" by that site is an obvious conversion error, but it makes no difference, you are measured in meters.

If you wish to check out the conversion yourself here is a good site:

????????????????????????????????????????????

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And this link has a box at the very beginning that states "this information IS (not "may be") out dated".

Can CVSE enforce rules over anything NOT commercial?

Like I said..... I'm over, haven't had an issue anywhere in Alberta or BC yet, and will continue to travel both provinces. Perhaps RV builders should be made aware of this, as I'm "over height" before I even add accessories.
CVSE has the power to enforce transport rules on any vehicle traveling the road. It is a name, Commercial vehicle Safety Enforcement, much like Royal Canadian Mounted Police are not actually mounted. It is CVSE's job to enforce Transport Canada's rules which apply to all vehicles traveling the road. They specialize in commercial traffic, but are the people that the RCMP call when they have a Transport Canada situation. Many CVSE vehicles now carry radar guns as well, but they seldom use them for public vehicles, but they do have the right to pull over what they may consider a dangerous offender.

It is now pretty common to come across a road check in BC with both the RCMP and CVSE checking all vehicles, looking at things like proper rated tires, driving lights, condition of vehicle, window tint, size confirmation, the list goes on and on.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the box says" this information is a bit outdated" then provides a link to the most updated information. Seems like a simple task to me. The infomation provided was by an RV website which has to caution the reader to get the most updated information.

Here is where it leads you to:

Last edited:

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
IMG_1098.jpg This is the ramp that I built for my Marathon deck. XP1K on a 8'.

toclcl

Reaction score
Here's a question. Does anyone haul an 800s on a sled deck and pull a holiday trailer as well? I'm not looking to do two trips this summer so it's either get a rocket launcher or get a sled deck. But a deck would work better for my work, needing a pack rat in my box. Have contemplated a 7' deck that extends out to 8'3" and load rzr sideways due to my truck being a 6.5' bed and I don't think an 8' deck would work for turning radius haha. Anyone done this before?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you would notice the turning or lack of it with any deck. Most trailers have very short hitches. A riser would be the best bet.
Need one built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new truck (6 foot box) and put a 8 foot deck on so I can haul the RV (don't want to make two trips either). My RZR will fit, I've done the measurements, only thing I'm not sure of is the RV. I've had the tailgate down and had room turning and the deck isn't much longer. Thing is I have to jackknife my trailer to get it into the driveway so I haven't been able to check that yet (RV is put away). Find out in the spring I guess.

toclcl

Reaction score
I think you would notice the turning or lack of it with any deck. Most trailers have very short hitches. A riser would be the best bet.
Need one built?

Yes I think you're right. It's kind of a ****ty situation with these things! But you do build risers? Where are you located

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the ramps for the deck by maroon that attach beside your ramp easy and safe loading should work on all decks, made to take the Sxs weight always back on most Sxs have rear engine otherwise 90 percent of the weight is on ur bumper

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I think you're right. It's kind of a ****ty situation with these things! But you do build risers? Where are you located

Yah I will build pretty much anything. I am slow at work so just looking for some extra side jobs. I am in Leduc. A few guys on here can vouch for my quality of work.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I will build pretty much anything. I am slow at work so just looking for some extra side jobs. I am in Leduc. A few guys on here can vouch for my quality of work.

You bet.

Excellent work and Arff tested.

Beer next week??

Top Bottom