has AOHVA ever considered a alberta wide bill they might want to pass (read)

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure its a fair given if you own a helmet your going to wear it unless of course its forgotten or something if your the type that could go either way.

I know afew of our members are aohva members aswell so im just thinking a really easy way to insure what would be basically a no excuses clause.

enforcing OHV retailers to include a helmet with every sale even if it was to be included with the purchase price or something a decent not highly expensive but a helmet people will actually wear helmet inclusion with every sale.

If its enforced by a law to sell it, its win win for everyone. and if its a 2 up they include 2 helmets.

I'm sure there will still be some who rebel but eventually those people will fade out.

I know if i didnt have a helmet and i wanted to go riding tomorrow hell knowing me id probably hop on go. but knowing i have one i just wear it i bought the damn thing i payed for it i might as well wear it . and i feel a lot of people make the other choice.. oh its 150$ out of there pocket oh they dont need it ect ect. but if they had one they would most likely wear the damn thing.

just something for you aohva members to consider seeing so many people have near deaths and ongoing injurys and even yes deaths over this 1 item not being used enough is getting old.

im not saying force it down peoples throats but if they have it then they dont have excuses anymore.

and to add
PS. cars come with airbags included seat belts included roll bars built into the frames so you don't get crushed in a rollover.. yet atv's go faster than the speed limit and aren't being sold along with helmets .. it almost seems like the manufacturing companies are partially to blame with lack of helmet use.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
working on a few dealers to include AOHVA memberships with sale. most like to say that they care about thier customers etc... so this may be vaible as well. good post.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your idea was awesome, everytime I buy I new quad I get them to throw a helmet in.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think its a great Idea for those who already wear them but you are relying on the fact that the reason people are not wearing helmits is beacause they dont own one.I disagree with that,They are either just lazy or think as the old saying goes.....This Wont Happen To Me!
I think if you want to Include something make it a crash Video with stats.
catmando!

Zipp

Reaction score
Do car dealers want to see a driver’s license before buying a car? A passport for ID would be enough. Just show em the money.
Should dirt bikes come with training wheels?

Should snowmobiles come with seat belts? (This has surprisingly been debated)

Should we elect a NDP government so they can protect us from ourselves and tax the rich?

I will NEVER support an organization that would do any of these things.

I wish the call for more laws would stop.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do car dealers want to see a driver’s license before buying a car? A passport for ID would be enough. Just show em the money.

Should we elect a NDP government so they can protect us from ourselves and tax the rich?

I agree in the fact that we don't need a govt body or law to tell us that you must do this or you'll get a fine.. That's dumb.. How do you legislate out stupidity.. Because as far as i'm concerned anyone that rides any recreation toy without a helmet is stupid.. You don't value your life and don't seem to care how your injury or death would affect the other people around you.. Like i just dont get it!!!It isnt hard to put on a helmet, i offered one to a buddy before he went on a quadding trip.. He didn't take it and when he got back i heard that he rolled the quad, didn't get hurt bad luckily.. But he hsan't talked to me since as he knows that i'll give him $%#$ for NOT wearing a helmet and he realizes how dumb it was not to.. Because he could've been hurt bad..

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally why wouldn't a ohv retailer do this.

if i was running a shop id rather the person walked away from the crash well enough to ride again all that means for me is .

a. either i get to sell him a new bike to replace the crashed bike.
or b. i sell him parts to fix the bike.

well maybe they would if people would get a clue . this is not the early 90s late 80's anymore. bikes are fast and heavy now a days they will kill you.

the person that dies from head trama is not the one that has to live with it. its their families And the people that have to come drive them away in a body bag . the people who have to go tell someones family that there kid or husband / wife is dead cuz he / she wasn't wearing a helmet and thats why the rider should have no say in the helmet matter because they are not the ones who will have to deal with it later. If everyone was responsible you would see everyone using a helmet. no one would speed no one would drink and drive ect but obviously most people are not capable of making good decisions because they sure haven't been doing it.

Police say charges may be laid after a two-year-old boy was killed in an all-terrain vehicle crash that injured three other children. no helmets
kids dead pal.. to late to retract that bad decision he was obviously fully qualified to make right(the parent)? my point exactly.

back when i was young helmets wernt common place. but i rode a 90cc trike. the thing weighed like 50lbs and did like 40kmph toped out. it would have still been bad had i smashed my head off a rock or something but speed wasnt really adding to that factor. people need to quit living in the past on this issue

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Aren't most manufacturers already doing this??? Most times its called "Yammy Bucks" or "kawi cash" or BRP also has incentives for cash back in accessories. It boils down to people CHOOSING not to spend the money on helmets instead they buy the new fancy wheels that look the same when there muddy as the rest of them or the tricked out quad box etc. etc. Safety gear comes way down the list in priority to the inexperienced riders. " Ah heck I don't need a helmet, I don't drive like an idiot" :cool:. Catmandoo has a point about the video and stats. EDUCATION and BY EXAMPLE is the way to go.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com

ya know, it is your choice to support or not. but basing your support for the AOHVA based on a helmet law that they dont make the decisions on but may support because it makes sense and may help get the public and politicians off our backs, doesnt make sense. have you looked over thier site yet? have you talked to the exec yet. or are you still basing your opinion off what people post on the internet. as well have you thought of what the alternative could be. there is alot more calls for the outright ban of off highway vehicles than the call for helmets. most say they would settle for a helmet law but would rather outright ban them. before you continue going off on the call for more laws why dont you read up on the current laws and potential laws that are in the owrks. they may not pass but without the support of ohv users they may pass without our say. i am sure you have heard the saying "the lesser of two evils". anyway, what type of riding do you like to do? like mud or sporties are more your style. imagine the great trail system that could be put into place inthe near future. 12 feet wide, smooth as smooth can be. graded for proper drainage. bridges and signs everywhere. huge fines for venturing off the trail. speed limits that are strictly enforced. government regulations regarding engine size and machine size weight etc... again check into the AOHVA before decidin your support or not.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Was at Ruby Falls headwaters this weekend, just got back, and the dumest thing I just saw was a man, wearing helmet, taking 3 kids for a ride WITHOUT helmets. Just totally insane. There are way too many people out there without helmets on riding in the mountains, I sure hope I never run into one of them injured because I don't think I would be able to bite my tongue hard enough not to give them a verbal bashing while I did first aid on them. Oh ya another thing we saw, was people in Rhinos, no helmets and no seatbelts. :rant:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya know, it is your choice to support or not. but basing your support for the AOHVA based on a helmet law that they dont make the decisions on but may support because it makes sense and may help get the public and politicians off our backs, doesnt make sense. have you looked over thier site yet? have you talked to the exec yet. or are you still basing your opinion off what people post on the internet. as well have you thought of what the alternative could be. there is alot more calls for the outright ban of off highway vehicles than the call for helmets. most say they would settle for a helmet law but would rather outright ban them. before you continue going off on the call for more laws why dont you read up on the current laws and potential laws that are in the owrks. they may not pass but without the support of ohv users they may pass without our say. i am sure you have heard the saying "the lesser of two evils". anyway, what type of riding do you like to do? like mud or sporties are more your style. imagine the great trail system that could be put into place inthe near future. 12 feet wide, smooth as smooth can be. graded for proper drainage. bridges and signs everywhere. huge fines for venturing off the trail. speed limits that are strictly enforced. government regulations regarding engine size and machine size weight etc... again check into the AOHVA before decidin your support or not.

Do people really think that a helmet law will get people to stop trying to ban ohvs? It is my belief that those who want to ban them are not concerned about our safety, but just don't like ohvs. I hear the argument about quads and sleds not being able to use the road allowances because of traffic safety issues, but it is perfectly legal for someone to ride a horse down the middle of the travelled surface of a road WITHOUT WEARING A HELMET. A horse is much more dangerous on a road than a quad or sled because a quad or sled doesn't have a mind of it's own. So much for laws that make sense. The reason people want sleds and quads banned are because they don't do it, so no one else should either. That's why I don't think more laws are the answer. You can have a law that requires helmets, but that's not going to prevent an 11 year old kid from rolling his quad on his parent's private property, and if his parents don't require him to wear a helmet, how's a law going to fix that? I don't trust the government to make laws that are sensible, well thought out and not unnecessarily restrictive, because I don't think the government is that smart. I'll fight more government intervention in my life for as long as I can. Education is the answer I believe.

Zipp

Reaction score
Do people really think that a helmet law will get people to stop trying to ban ohvs? It is my belief that those who want to ban them are not concerned about our safety, but just don't like ohvs. I hear the argument about quads and sleds not being able to use the road allowances because of traffic safety issues, but it is perfectly legal for someone to ride a horse down the middle of the travelled surface of a road WITHOUT WEARING A HELMET. A horse is much more dangerous on a road than a quad or sled because a quad or sled doesn't have a mind of it's own. So much for laws that make sense. The reason people want sleds and quads banned are because they don't do it, so no one else should either. That's why I don't think more laws are the answer. You can have a law that requires helmets, but that's not going to prevent an 11 year old kid from rolling his quad on his parent's private property, and if his parents don't require him to wear a helmet, how's a law going to fix that? I don't trust the government to make laws that are sensible, well thought out and not unnecessarily restrictive, because I don't think the government is that smart. I'll fight more government intervention in my life for as long as I can. Education is the answer I believe.

THANK YOU!! For sending some sanity into this thread!! I couldnt find the words with all the steam coming from my ears. LOL

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't trust the government to make laws that are sensible, well thought out and not unnecessarily restrictive, because I don't think the government is that smart
You make a good point with that . this thread was never said to be a helmet enforcement thread more so a make sure everyone has a helmet choice thread.

I was thinking more along the lines of making helmets mainstream and how to do it.

because if you think about it .. if there was a helmet out there for every single ATV/OHV sold there would be so many helmets old / new, no one would ever have an excuse to not have one. and i honestly feel if everyone had a helmet sitting around more not all but More people would start to use them.

the law wasn't even really directed at the consumer level really just basically im saying these manufacture's / retailers need to start taking a responsibility to make sure everyone leaves that shop with there new slead/ATV/Dirtbike/utility. with at minimum safety helmet that goes along with purchase.

i hate how it always takes a personal crash to get people to see the light and im no better. thank god the one time i actually flipped a slead and had it ride on my head for 100yards down a icy road i had a helmet on that day forward i never go without. ''I could actually hear the rocks scraping off the helmet as it used me for a toboggan''.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Laws are not neccesarily the answer as then you have enforcement issues (who's going to do it?) But not supporting AOHVA is not the answer either. Education is definately the answer and if we support associations like them the funds could be used to create videos, advertisements, and pamphlets and making them available to selling dealers so they can hand them to the buyer of a new machine with their owners manual and paperwork etc. Just a thought to start the education process anyway.

Bantering back and forth on the forums does nothing to get to the new enthusiast's as most of us have developed our own beliefs and practise them. I really believe getting the dealers on board is a good start and then supporting a pre-existing arganization that is recognized by government (grants available to assist possible) to help get the word is out is the way I and my family choose to go.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
i think that we should petition the papers and such so that they accurately portray what happened. then i could care less who kills themselves becuase they were drunk or without helmet or decided to stuff 25 people on a quad....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Y'all have good points..... And i agree.

Have you all seen the commercial on tv about the quad being pulled out of the lake and in the foreground the kid is passing the keys to the father and the father passes them on to momma, because the quad was too big for the kid?? 'nuf said!

Education is the way!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed on the kids / smaller /lighter people riding too large of ATV's for them but that's a whole different subject. kids usually don't get to chose that one the parent is the one who says go or no on that issue, I remember if I was a kid and if my dad had giving me the key to his 440 racer I'd have took it in a heart beat and prob crashed it a mile up the road doing 80mph.

that one is parents decision. sadly i think the way society is right now everyone wants to have the biggest fastest anything. and every one thinks they are pro enough to ride the biggest fastest anything. until they find out the hard way they truly cant handle the biggest fastest anything and end up in some disaster crash.. but that's just people needing to use there head better and i don't think its enforceable really.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed on the kids / smaller /lighter people riding too large of ATV's for them but that's a whole different subject. kids usually don't get to chose that one the parent is the one who says go or no on that issue, I remember if I was a kid and if my dad had giving me the key to his 440 racer I'd have took it in a heart beat and prob crashed it a mile up the road doing 80mph.

that one is parents decision. sadly i think the way society is right now everyone wants to have the biggest fastest anything. and every one thinks they are pro enough to ride the biggest fastest anything. until they find out the hard way they truly cant handle the biggest fastest anything and end up in some disaster crash.. but that's just people needing to use there head better and i don't think its enforceable really.

I agree. My quadding friends were telling me the other day I should get a bigger quad but I like my 2 stroke Explorer. It's only a 400, but it blows away a lot of 500s and and I can lift the ass end up and over and have gotten out of many a mud hole without needing to winch. Because my riding includes as much or more mud than dryland riding, I'd prefer a light quad with some jam (maybe not as much as a 700) than a big heavy thing that I always need to winch to get out. Personal preference I guess, as there are some real nice 6 and 700 cc's out there, but I can't go 70 miles an hour down a trail anyway. The point is, I don't think it's very sensible to have an inexperienced rider, adult or not, on a very powerful quad, it's a recipe for disaster.

Top Bottom