Handlebar height...

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was brought up in another thread and I thought it might make for some interesting non-covid discussion.

Do you think a lower bar height is an advantage in technical riding?

It has helped me up my game in the last few years and I'm an old guy. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how low you are going.

Some of these sleds with 1 inch risers are not my thing.

Im 6'3 i like a 4 inch riser, and the bars give a couple inches also.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lower is generally better. I'm 6'3" and usually like them 1-2" lower than factory. Sucks when you're bent over riding a whooped up trail though.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride with what ever makes you feel comfortable, at the end of the day if it feel right for you then its good.
In this sport there are a lot of BS on making unnecessary changes driven by the so called superstars and eaten up by the masses.
Personally, with my current sled i use a 1" taller riser then what was OEM with OEM bars and it works for me but that might not be right for someone else.
My last sled had OEM riser but different bars with a 2" rise and all was good.
For me my comfort is having my forearms 90deg to my torso while standing with a slight knee bend, for someone else that could be different. Short or tall, its what works for YOU is the best.
enjoy your season

PS, i actually meant sitting not standing, when standing my arms are essentially straight down and have a very little bend at the elbow. Distractions, distractions LOL.

Last edited:

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Lund. I consider myself a fairly technical rider but do not prefer super short bars. I like standing on my sled with a solid knee bend and my arms in a bent position as well, ready to ride if you will. Make it comfortable for the most type of riding you do an lower by maybe an inch. I have a matryx and like the mid bars, although I probably would prefer the low being 5'9" but made a mistake on my snocheck.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A40C7933-0091-4946-82A8-029514446DC4.jpeg
Ok so in this position. If the bars are right short and I as a tall person want to be in this same position I have no choice but to bend forward to reach the shorter bars putting me in a awkward position. I don’t see an advantage short riser.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F9CDD2F4-E47F-4EEF-AC11-A859CAAB6B7A.jpeg
Or here. Same deal. If you imagine the rider in the same position but lower the bars he would have no choice but to either straighten his arms or squat lower or bend forward to reach them. Or vice versa extend the bars, they go closer up to his chest putting more bend in his arms. If for example you had to hold a rotweiler down for some reason, or hold him still while be was struggling to get away, would you hold him at arms length or pull your hands in tight closer to your chest where you have more power with your arms bent. Weird example hopefully you catch my drift.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3599D33C-A2A9-4398-A6E3-2B1248AB82C8.jpeg
In this position to have short riser same. Have to hunch forward to reach the bars. This picture is chris Burandt. He is very short. I met him in person and had to squat way down for a picture. So if you can imagine if i were to stand on his sled in a comfortable position As if to head down the trail, the bars would likely be Along way down for me to be able to reach without being way hunched over.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
E4E749F4-7022-4775-A689-088CEA0150E0.jpeg
Or this one. What difference if the bars are a 5” riser or a 10” riser ? In this picture you can imagine if the riser shrinks down his arms need to extend to follow the bars. I don’t know why you would want your arms extended more.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just how I see it.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2F742728-B8D3-4505-8CA6-9C5F68EF754D.jpeg
Now in this position, I can certainly see it maybe mattering if it short riser. You can move your upper body closer forward by bring your hands and bars closer to your chest. Makes sense

Rn4

Reaction score
For me a shorter riser works better for me. First sled was a ‘15 summit sp 154. Came with like a 5-6” riser from factory. Thought that was the cats ass, all the leverage in the world to pull the sled over and throw it around. After a couple years and talking with other riders some mentioned a shorter riser. So changed it up. With a 2.5” riser and felt way for comfortable with a lot more aggressive rider position. Fast forward to my ‘20 summit. Went with a 2 or 2.5” right out the box and never looked back. It just works for me and it’s what I feel comfortable with and gives me an aggressive rider position where I can control and react to the sled quickly.

Everyone’s got their preferences and rides accordingly. What works for one person may not work for another. and as long as you got a smile from ear to ear on the hill that’s what matters

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as summit tree has implied it really depends on the type of riding you do as well the sled you ride.

what ever happened to adjustable riser height handlebars!?
A sturdy adjustable would be the way to go. I had one on an older M8 but it broke and I replaced it with the solid steering post. I didnt use the adjustability a lot, but it was nice to have.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riser height also should reflect arm length. a buddy ours is relatively tall 6-2 ish but short arms for his size and with a short riser he looks like a monkey humping a football .borrow or buy a set of adjustable risers figure out what works. Nothing worse than fighting ergos.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm finding going shorter has helped me substantially. However I'm now riding more trees than ever! Odd that I'm getting older and sticking to tree riding?

Top Bottom