Hand held GPS

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi I carry a garmin 60csx It gives very good detail for anywhere u go from elivation to distance this was the best on the market when I bought it so good luck.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not wanting to just say, "this has been beaten to death or maybe look into the GPS section" I will give you my preference.

Rino 530. I wanted something with a radio, a great memory for lots of maps, and all the other features of the top GPS's. I loaded topo maps around Kelowna, Revy, Golden, and the whole
se corner of BC with part of Alberta thrown in. Kelowna, Revy and Golden all have 4 topo maps loaded and there are probably 8 for the se corner of BC. That's all the creeks, rivers, mountains, contours, and major roads.
It has tracking, routes (which I never use), and a myriad of other features. I have the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery and have never used more than 75% for a full day of way-points and tracking with all the talking I wanted.

There are RAM mounts for it and they are skookum.

Radio works best with other Rino's and you can use the screen to see where they are located. You can also talk to other hand-helds as long as they are on the same channel but you can't locate them on the screen.

The American ones have 5 watts of radio power compared to the Canadian version with only 2 watts. So the range is longer with the American ones. Don't know the logistics of bringing one across the border.

Lots of opinions on here and I'm sure they will chime in...........

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rino 530Hcx bought mine on ebay 5w model no issues getting them in fro the States paid about $420.00 delivered.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rino 530hcx. love the feature where you can track a friend. actually used it to find a fella last year who got in a pickle on boulder who was lucky to have a 530 as well.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not wanting to just say, "this has been beaten to death or maybe look into the GPS section" I will give you my preference.

Rino 530. I wanted something with a radio, a great memory for lots of maps, and all the other features of the top GPS's. I loaded topo maps around Kelowna, Revy, Golden, and the whole
se corner of BC with part of Alberta thrown in. Kelowna, Revy and Golden all have 4 topo maps loaded and there are probably 8 for the se corner of BC. That's all the creeks, rivers, mountains, contours, and major roads.
It has tracking, routes (which I never use), and a myriad of other features. I have the rechargeable Lithium-ion battery and have never used more than 75% for a full day of way-points and tracking with all the talking I wanted.

There are RAM mounts for it and they are skookum.

Radio works best with other Rino's and you can use the screen to see where they are located. You can also talk to other hand-helds as long as they are on the same channel but you can't locate them on the screen.

The American ones have 5 watts of radio power compared to the Canadian version with only 2 watts. So the range is longer with the American ones. Don't know the logistics of bringing one across the border.

Lots of opinions on here and I'm sure they will chime in...........

x2 530Hcx great units

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody have the new Garmin Rino 655T? Im real curious about that one.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x4 on the 530Hcx great radios. I got the 5 watt radio out of the states as well. 2 trouble free years with it so far :) :beer:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody have the new Garmin Rino 655T? Im real curious about that one.
Off the garmin 655T page today NOTE: This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off the garmin 655T page today NOTE: This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

thats cool. I wonder if they expect to get it in Canada or will be be SOL?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was told by sales at communicaton group that ya should be able to order this week .

you guys that bought your radio 530hcx for the 5 watt us power, do not connect to garmin site to register or for updates as you will have a 2 watt radio instantly. radios with the 2 watt power need to be hooked up to a internet address in the usa to get the 5 watt power.

there is not alot of difference between the 2 and 5 watt, as they are still line of site mostly.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is not alot of difference between the 2 and 5 watt, as they are still line of site mostly.

I'm not too sure about that. There's been quite a few times when I've been talking or listening to a conversation that my buddy with his 2 Watt couldn't even hear. But it may be this metal plate I have in my head acting as an antenna.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
The difference between 2-5 watts has nothing to do with reception.
And,yes,there have been a few threads on this topic already.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like the radios at future shop that claim 50 miles, still line of site and i never get that kind of reception. but think what you will, a 5 watt will have further reception, but the distances are a little optimistic.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well after a few gimped 530 I had a trouble free year last year. The kid has the 110 (I think) so we can see each other. Since he is 10 this is a great feature......I call it "the find my kid" button lol.....I bought them at the GPS store in Windfield and they told me it was the 5w US model.....I guess I'm not going to plug it in and regy at the Garmin site....lol.......but since Im computer dumb, is there anyone that can fill both my GPS with maps.....it would be a lot nicer! it takes a chip in the back......do I just buy this or what? Sorry this is off topic.....lol......530 HCx is the best

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
well after a few gimped 530 I had a trouble free year last year. The kid has the 110 (I think) so we can see each other. Since he is 10 this is a great feature......I call it "the find my kid" button lol.....I bought them at the GPS store in Windfield and they told me it was the 5w US model.....I guess I'm not going to plug it in and regy at the Garmin site....lol.......but since Im computer dumb, is there anyone that can fill both my GPS with maps.....it would be a lot nicer! it takes a chip in the back......do I just buy this or what? Sorry this is off topic.....lol......530 HCx is the best

I don't know about the HCx but with the plain 530 I just put the disk(Garmin Topo Canada) in the drive and followed the directions. It was pretty simple. The maps are indispensable IMHO.

Top Bottom