half ton legal to install a sled deck on???

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like plio says if you get a lighter deck and 2 stroke sleds you could do it legally. I know with 2 ppl and a full takn a fuel in my half ton i am still legally left over with 1500lbs of capacity. most sleds weight wet is around 550lbs and decks are 375lbs give or take, that would make a total of 1450lbs. Just take a crap in the morning to stay under and all is good :beer:

given your a local BC guy, i am sure your riding spots are within 30min unlike some of us who are 2-4hrs for riding. i wouldnt break a sweat about it to much if your riding is close to you.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read this from albertains all the time ?I think what happens in Valemount ,revy and Mcbride, maybe a little diffrent then what happens in my area .I have hauled 2 sleds with a half ton, well sense I was 16. I haul a 28 foot 4 place trailer with my half ton van?My buddy hauls his 2010 T1200 4 stroker 174 AND a 07 xrs 174 WITH NO ISSUSE and he has gone threw a ton of road blocks, and its a ford half ton crew cab.Just saying .Not bad mouthing anybody just saying sounds like certain area have a hate on sledders.?

now someone is making sense. beer for u.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would something along those lines cost

One-offs are always a bit tricky, and a little more costly. I would say you'd be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3g for a basic deck. Things start to add up fairly quickly once you start adding different options...led's, skirts and aprons, retractable sides, etc.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i myself use a half ton but its a heavy half with air bags (yes i am aware these dont add to the gvw just make it ride better) i do wish i had a 3/4 as it is alot of weight for these trucks, harder on brakes, had to get them turned this year as they warped over the winter.
if ya can get a 3/4 the bigger brakes, frame,axles will make it all worth while if not get air bags makes the trucks handle 100x better.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really think the answer to this question should be as follows:

"You live in Alberta, buy an old Rig truck(3/4 ton or more) at an auction and Drive safely within the law and regulations"

Then close the thread...........

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new ford half tons or old 7700's have enough GVWR to carry a couple of sleds and sled deck. Not sure what GVWR is on the chevys and I know the dodge 1500's are rated to low to be legal in BC so if you want to go half ton at the moment look for a ford with a GVWR of 7700 and that should give you enough room to haul a couple of sleds with gear. To be sure just weigh the truck and subtract 7700 for whatever the weight is and that figure is the amount you can legally carry on the truck.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
another problem with being over wieght you may not get pulled over buy a cop, but if you get in a accident and they find out your overwieght your 100% at fualt even if the guy runs right in the back of you sitting at a red light, and I believe its pointless having a deck for one sled I would way rather my sled sit in the back of my truck where no rocks can hit it and doesnt sit 8 feet in the air sled deck are built for two sleds, if your worried about being over wieght spend the money on a well bult two place sled trailer if your driving a real truck you wont even no its there idunno about a titan though might be a tough pull ahahahah

mikewayne

Reaction score
Website
www.usasuperbikes.com
Hey thanks for asking this question as it really seems to be not so important but might be a make or break for a novice, as one might face legal trouble for just being ignorant about a small but very necessary fact, and its always better to be on the good side of law and to have proper information about it.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
another problem with being over wieght you may not get pulled over buy a cop, but if you get in a accident and they find out your overwieght your 100% at fualt even if the guy runs right in the back of you sitting at a red light, and I believe its pointless having a deck for one sled I would way rather my sled sit in the back of my truck where no rocks can hit it and doesnt sit 8 feet in the air sled deck are built for two sleds, if your worried about being over wieght spend the money on a well bult two place sled trailer if your driving a real truck you wont even no its there idunno about a titan though might be a tough pull ahahahah

I run a single sled deck for a few reasons. It gives me weather proof storage in my box, it works as great winter weight for the back, allows for easy storage of the ramp and I find it easier putting it on the deck than screwing around with a ramp on the tail gate. I hauled mine around in the box for a few years bought this deck because i got it for a steal. And don't think I could do with out now

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
The new ford half tons or old 7700's have enough GVWR to carry a couple of sleds and sled deck. Not sure what GVWR is on the chevys and I know the dodge 1500's are rated to low to be legal in BC so if you want to go half ton at the moment look for a ford with a GVWR of 7700 and that should give you enough room to haul a couple of sleds with gear. To be sure just weigh the truck and subtract 7700 for whatever the weight is and that figure is the amount you can legally carry on the truck.

This issue has been beat to death on the site. But I weighed my 08 3/4 ton chevy with two sleds and two guys on the scale at balzac and gear coming home from Corbin and it tipped the scales at 8,500 lbs Gvw is 9,200lbs. Wasn't overweight.
So I dont see how a heavy half or what ever can legally do it. Just my 2 cents

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But what was the axle weights ???

They also look at that

sent from my htc

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
But what was the axle weights ???

They also look at that

sent from my htc

I didn't check that our that close. Probably did but didn't pay much attention ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343446971.060309.jpg

Pretty sure it's not over that
But a valid point Tex

Top Bottom