half ton legal to install a sled deck on???

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i just looked at a 11 f150 ecoboost i just had in .....

how the fawk does it have close to the same gvw as a 03 f350 dsl ??????????

come on there is no way it has the weight , springs , axle tubes , tires [ factory ] brakes , that a one ton single wheel has .....

a guy would still want to check the unloaded rear axle weight at a scale ....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with plio, the 1/2 3/4 thing is a guide line, check the weights, no argument Chris, the numbers are all over the place, a link or a way of reading the Numbers would be invaluable on the site, way to many interpretations, billy said this joe said that, i been driving for xxx years.

i weigh the truck at the scale, front,rear axle, total weight, subtract this number from what the door sticker says, that give me the capacity of the front,rear axles, and total gvwr. that number tells me what i can legally carry period.

Last edited:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny how everyone sh^&s on the guy for having a deck on half ton but how many bar star heros with the big diesels with hockey puck mudd tires and huge trailer with the ass draggin with no weight in the box and driving like d bags down the highway. I feel safer with the half ton passing me

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Funny how everyone sh^&s on the guy for having a deck on half ton but how many bar star heros with the big diesels with hockey puck mudd tires and huge trailer with the ass draggin with no weight in the box and driving like d bags down the highway. I feel safer with the half ton passing me

Don't worry we'll chit on them too when someone starts a thread about it

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
I looked in to this extensively a few years back and short answer is yes you can do it, but not legally with a half ton, and it's not smart $$wise either cause ch!t breaks (aside from accident liability and lack of control on icy roads).

2005 F150 Supercab 6.5ft box, 4x4 payload is 1670lbs.
Two Skidoos, including gas ~1100lbs
Aluminum Sled deck ~250lbs
Two fat bastards sitting up front: ~450lbs
Gear: ~100lbs
Flat of Beer: 20lbs.
Total: 1920lbs = 250 lbs over the payload.

At one point a few summers ago, I had a small 1200lb camper in the box, with 2 weeks of gear/food, a shitload of beer, 3 people and 2 dogs in the truck. Probably wound up over 2200lbs. Soon after, I had a rear diff bearing let go and it shredded the diff... $1800 to fix. So now I have a trailer camper and know what the payload is on the truck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom