Half broke in XM heading to McBride, what to bring...

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
Hey guys I have 2.7 hours and about 60kms on my XM of just screwing around a bit close to home and heading to Mcbride tomorrow for weekend riding. What if anything should I prepare for and make sure I have with me? Sled wise. Tool wise.

And ya I'm mostly just bored and bragging a bit about going to the mountains again finally! And with a whole load of Polaris guys, some turboed so should be interesting...

Don't say tow rope. I have one. LOL

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bring the following

- gas
- oil
- sh*t eating grin

I have just under 1000k on my XM, and have yet to need any thing other than what I mentioned above

(on a serious note, check your track tension and belt height adjustment .. those were the only 2 things I looked at and adjusted as they both stretch a bit, both doable with the tools provided)

I bet all the poo folks will see the words "half broke XM" in the title and flock in here to gloat while they wait for their glue to dry

Last edited:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have 2.7 hours and about 60kms on my XM of just screwing around a bit close to home and heading to Mcbride tomorrow for weekend riding. What if anything should I prepare for and make sure I have with me? Sled wise. Tool wise.

And ya I'm mostly just bored and bragging a bit about going to the mountains again finally! And with a whole load of Polaris guys, some turboed so should be interesting...

Don't say tow rope. I have one. LOL

Not close to half broke in, its 120 litres to break in and took me almost 500km, good luck

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with check the tension in the new track and belt adjustment. Extra belt, fuel, oil, shovel and rope would be all I would think, unless your going high in the hills and then beacons, probes, training and that changes things abit. Have a blast! The XM is wild!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the chain tension as well. They will stretch quite a bit when new.

After breakin or 500km change the chaincase fluid to your favorite flavour. Clean off the magnets on the Speedo sensor and fill plug.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of the above and if you can find one get a screen kit. It will keep about 5lbs of ice from forming under the pipe.
Have fun!!

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Bring the two wrenches necessary to tension your track with you... mine started ratcheting part way though the day and I had to take it easy for the rest of the day. But yeah, other than that, you should be good. I've got 600+ km on mine now and the track stretching was the only problem for me so far.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bring the two wrenches necessary to tension your track with you... mine started ratcheting part way though the day and I had to take it easy for the rest of the day. But yeah, other than that, you should be good. I've got 600+ km on mine now and the track stretching was the only problem for me so far.

you only really need a 10 mm wrench to tighten the track .. I didn't bother to loosen the axle

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you only really need a 10 mm wrench to tighten the track .. I didn't bother to loosen the axle
Then your axle isn't tight enough.
The axle bolts are designed to hold it in place, the adjuster is just that-to move the axle. You risk stripping the threads on it forcing it against the axle without loosening it.
Always loosen the axle before adjusting.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duck tape, electrical tape, Zippo, zip ties and bailing wire. thats a master tool kit. Oh yeah and a leather man,

Now your set to go.

Have fun.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to mcbride? Better bring some snow cause there is f&ck all there

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
Rode 100 km today renfrew area the sled performed like a champ no new snow and mostly tracked up but there is plenty of snow to ride in up here was cutting fresh powder in spots still.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then your axle isn't tight enough.
The axle bolts are designed to hold it in place, the adjuster is just that-to move the axle. You risk stripping the threads on it forcing it against the axle without loosening it.
Always loosen the axle before adjusting.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the 13's don't need the axle loosened to tighten the track. All the old ones did but I think this is a new setup.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I never really looked at it-just did it the same as always by habit.
Should probably look in the manual before I go sprackin off!:doh:
Can someone confirm this?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still a solid axle with two pinch bolts. Yes you should loosen them off then tighten after track adjusted.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom