Hail Claim/Enclosed Trailer

Jason

Reaction score
I have a RC 23' with 4'vnose that got lightly hail damaged. Called insurance and they said it's got $15750 damage so they want to write it off. Problem is I like the trailer and it's like brand new, I don't want to fork out the extra cash to buy a replacement and they won't allow me to buy it back. They say they just take it to the auction and I can buy it back there. I told them I just want it repaired then and they won't do it. Anyone have any ideas what I should do? They just emailed me back saying there is a bit of wiggle room on the payout and asked my opinion but I know it won't be enough to buy a replacement. Everyone says take payout and buy it back from insurance but that don't seem to be an option here.

mlchuk

Reaction score
Morning, Jason! I would ask for another quote, or at least a breakdown of the quote to see where the major expense is on the unit. If it has laminated walls then that is where the biggest expense is...the whole walls would need replacing. How old is your trailer?

Jason

Reaction score
They won't let me buy it back. They say I have to go to auction like everybody else.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
They won't let me buy it back. They say I have to go to auction like everybody else.

I've never heard of that, with any vehicle or anything I know anyone having written off they always get the option to buy it back before it goes to auction.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance companies try to pull lots of crap when it comes to hail, I have been through it a couple times. Who is the insurer? You will have a 2 year statute of limitations on the claim and the following strategy worked for me on a horse trailer. State your expectations of the claim be it cash payout and rendered uninsurable for hail, your option to buy back or have a quote to fix the sides but not the roof (no one cares about light hailed roof) and take the side payout or fix. If they won't play ball I'd ask specifically for the provision in the policy which says the option to buy back is not a option, then wait them out. You could do some homework find out hailed value and make them an offer to buy back as well they might bite. They do not like having open claims for 2 years thats likely your best tool. Get your own quotes too from trailer dealers, adjuster might be on the take with buddy at auction house and or your broker.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly some insurance companys dont offer the buy back option, all write offs go to auction.. If your other vehicles are with them it will be the same if they are written off also. Look for a new company.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just don't take their offer, piss and moan and they will deal with you to get rid of you

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a RC 23' with 4'vnose that got lightly hail damaged. Called insurance and they said it's got $15750 damage so they want to write it off. Problem is I like the trailer and it's like brand new, I don't want to fork out the extra cash to buy a replacement and they won't allow me to buy it back. They say they just take it to the auction and I can buy it back there. I told them I just want it repaired then and they won't do it. Anyone have any ideas what I should do? They just emailed me back saying there is a bit of wiggle room on the payout and asked my opinion but I know it won't be enough to buy a replacement. Everyone says take payout and buy it back from insurance but that don't seem to be an option here.

Hello Jason,

I work for quite a few insurance companies and work on all makes and models, $15,750 seems high for just panel and roof replacement on a 27'. Send me some photos and I will give you a quote paradismotor@telus.net

I'm pretty sure I can keep it under the 75% to 80% allowed repair before write off for you and have your trailer back to factory spec.

Thanks,

Ron Paradis

Top Bottom