H1N1 Flu Vaccination....

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with teeroy on the "Old school Vaccination". I think the verbiage my mom uses is "put the baby to bed with a dirty sock, it'll build up their immune system".

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im goin through h1n1 now and let me tell ya I wouldnt wish this crap on my worst enemy I dont get immunizations due to bein diabetic but do have a very strong immune system I get sick maybe once or twice every other year, its been 4 days now of hell but I just keep eatin chicken soup and drownin myself in nyquil hopin it gets better soon

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
started out with a tickle in my chest, like I inhaled a fur ball and couldn't cough it out. then after going out and plowing snow I came back in and couldn't get warm, I was dressed very well and didn't feel cold while out there. started shivering uncontrollably and only stopped once I hopped in a warm bath. then started getting dizzy, very tight in the chest, major fatigue and couldn't catch my breath without panting like a dog. fever went up to 102, lots of shivering then sweating, no appetite and horrible watery diarrhea. coughed until my ribs hurt. 29th is when I first felt the tickle, by the 31st it was full on. skin around my eyes went dark and my lips were a dark purple at the worst of it. nasty headache, and my neck was sore so that I could not get comfortable to sleep. I never threw up at all tho

That's totally different than my experience, sounds worse. Mine was mostly stomach pain, some abdomen muscle shaking, nausea and exhaustion.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on the bright side, I will never get this strain again. old school vaccination....I'd rather do it that way than take my chances with some loosely engineered concotion that no one knows what effects it may have down the road. if your immune system is compromised or you have family members that are susceptible, then go for it. we're all healthy with strong immune systems in my house.

I agree. I am a health care worker and truly believe in building a strong immune system and letting it take care of the common cold/flu. People now a days take medication for a sniffle or cough. Healthy eating and regular physical activity will do a body wonders. Cheers

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. I am a health care worker and truly believe in building a strong immune system and letting it take care of the common cold/flu. People now a days take medication for a sniffle or cough. Healthy eating and regular physical activity will do a body wonders. Cheers
thanks for your thoughts, especially being in the health care field. I had a go round with a friend's wife on facebook last night, she works the desk admitting patients in emergency at the local hospital.....no training of any kind in health care or nursing, and she was on another friend's status calling people that refuse to be immunized stupid and ignorant. so I went around and around with her as to my thoughts on why not to get it. I brought up the point that the other night on the news, AHS chief medical officer Gerald Preddy stated that only 40% of AHS employees had been immunized, I believe many AHS workers have the same line of thinking as you. she had the balls to claim (as a receptionist) that Preddy did not know what he was talking about and that his numbers were way off. I suspect his numbers are inflated, as they want everyone to jump on board with this immunization thing. you are the second worker in the field that I heard from that did not get immunized and will not in the future. I find it very interesting.

Last edited:

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for your thoughts, especially being in the health care field. I had a go round with a friend's wife on facebook last night, she works the desk admitting patients in emergency at the local hospital.....no training of any kind in health care or nursing, and she was on another friend's status calling people that refuse to be immunized stupid and ignorant. so I went around and around with her as to my thoughts on why not to get it. I brought up the point that the other night on the news, AHS chief medical officer Gerald Preddy stated that only 40% of AHS employees had been immunized, I believe many AHS workers have the same line of thinking as you. she had the balls to claim (as a receptionist) that Preddy did not know what he was talking about and that his numbers were way off. I suspect his numbers are inflated, as they want everyone to jump on board with this immunization thing. you are the second worker in the field that I heard from personally that did not get immunized and will not in the future. I find it very interesting.

I have been a health care worker (fire fighter) for 6 years now and have never received a flu vaccination. In my experience the weak, old or very young with compromised immune systems should be receiving this shot. If you are healthy I would not receive this immunization. I know a few of my co workers that have received the h1 n1 vaccination and were very ill for a week. Why? If our bodies have strong immune systems when the time comes it will take the same amount of time to get over the actual full strain of the virus then it will your body adjusting to the vaccine and antibodies built up by it to lessen the effects. This is my opinion. I'm not saying all vaccinations are bad. Measles, mumps, rebella are very important shots to receive at a young age and should not be stopped but a lot of parents now a days should let there children "tough it out" in order to benefit them them in the future.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last time I got the flu shot I was down and out for almost a week. Felt like death and was coughing and puking so hard I had severe nose bleeds. I haven't gotten a flu shot since and guess what? No flu since. I try to eat healthy and I exercise on a regular basis. In fact just over this past christmas, my gf and most of her family were down with a flu bug. I was around them enough and I ended up with a case of the sniffles, thats it. I don't believe in giving a pill or meds for every little ailment but thats just me.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last time I got the flu shot I was down and out for almost a week. Felt like death and was coughing and puking so hard I had severe nose bleeds. I haven't gotten a flu shot since and guess what? No flu since. I try to eat healthy and I exercise on a regular basis. In fact just over this past christmas, my gf and most of her family were down with a flu bug. I was around them enough and I ended up with a case of the sniffles, thats it. I don't believe in giving a pill or meds for every little ailment but thats just me.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for sharing.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a front line health care worker and deal directly with ICU and ER cases, with my specialty being respiratory. Our employer has made flu shots mandatory OR for those who fundamentally refuse, we have the option to wear a mask from December 2nd until March 30th in every area of the hospital except the cafeteria or be sent home without pay.

Both of my parents have life threatening and rare auto-immune diseases and I firmly believe that the rise in immune mediated diseases is due to the overtaxing of our bodies that we do with over-vaccinating. In my opinion, we are teaching our immune system to over react and creating a monster... Remember when doctors figured out that antibiotic over use was biting us in the ass? Same idea!!

I do believe in routine childhood vaccinations for diseases that are life threatening and debilitating. I also believe in vaccinations for at risk and immuno-compromised populations for whom the flu could mean death. But what I do not understand is when we reached the point that being sick occasionally and developing immunity the natural way became taboo?? I can't grasp that...

On a side note: I am exposed constantly to the nastiest of bugs and neither I nor my children have ever had the flu. Also, I am wearing a mask until March 30th- please forgive me if you can't see my smile or sincere expressions of empathy while I treat you :)

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a front line health care worker and deal directly with ICU and ER cases, with my specialty being respiratory. Our employer has made flu shots mandatory OR for those who fundamentally refuse, we have the option to wear a mask from December 2nd until March 30th in every area of the hospital except the cafeteria or be sent home without pay.

Both of my parents have life threatening and rare auto-immune diseases and I firmly believe that the rise in immune mediated diseases is due to the overtaxing of our bodies that we do with over-vaccinating. In my opinion, we are teaching our immune system to over react and creating a monster... Remember when doctors figured out that antibiotic over use was biting us in the ass? Same idea!!

I do believe in routine childhood vaccinations for diseases that are life threatening and debilitating. I also believe in vaccinations for at risk and immuno-compromised populations for whom the flu could mean death. But what I do not understand is when we reached the point that being sick occasionally and developing immunity the natural way became taboo?? I can't grasp that...

On a side note: I am exposed constantly to the nastiest of bugs and neither I nor my children have ever had the flu. Also, I am wearing a mask until March 30th- please forgive me if you can't see my smile or sincere expressions of empathy while I treat you :)

My feelings exactly! Additionally, I suspect the flu vaccine to be relatively ineffective since 6 months go by while an up-to-date vaccine is being developed and manufactured. Then, by the time you are exposed, there's a good chance that the bug has mutated to a point where the vaccine is no longer able to protect you.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would put my family to that risk, auto ammun is great, if it works, but if not is It worth that risk

we have been faithfully taking the flu shot past five years, prior to that kids would bring all sorts of crap home, temps of 101 to 103 were often seen, and that's not that great for you as well

I will stick with heath Canada reports

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this was just snet to us on facebook , somewhat fitting for this thread A patient gets a shot during a flu vaccine program in Calgary. Jeff McIntosh / The Canadian Press files
CALGARY — Health officials are confirming five people have died from an outbreak of H1N1 influenza in Alberta.
Three of the deaths were in Edmonton, two in Calgary.
There are now 965 confirmed cases of the flu in Alberta and 270 of those people are in hospital.
Dr. Gerry Predy, senior medical officer of health, says the largest numbers have been seen in the last three weeks, which is typical in the development of a flu outbreak.
[h=4]Related[/h]

Alberta Health is opening mass immunization clinics again in many communities on Friday.
In addition, free flu shots are available at most drug stores and doctors’ offices.
Predy says they’ll watch what happens when children go back to school, however he stresses that’s not always the best predictor of H1N1 because a B.C. study has shown younger immune systems seem to respond differently.
AHS is also predicting the likelihood of elective surgeries being cancelled, as was the case last week.
It’s not unusual to have influenza outbreaks, and what that does is sometimes results in a facility or a unit being closed, but not always
More than 200 people lined up for flu shots at one of two Calgary clinics on Thursday.
Many waiting on line said the clinics were their only option, as doctors and pharmacies weren’t able to keep up with the demand.
Also, pharmacies cannot give influenza shots to children under the age of nine.
Dr. Judy MacDonald, Calgary’s medical officer of health, says the numbers are only the tip of the iceberg, as not everyone who gets the flu goes to the doctor or hospital, adding there’s at least another three months left in the flu season.
She says it’s hard to say what’s behind a spike in cases of the illness this year, adding its unclear if there’s an increase or if this is just media attention.
“It’s not unusual to have influenza outbreaks, and what that does is sometimes results in a facility or a unit being closed, but not always,” she said.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our local hospital as the same policy (I think all in BC do). I have gotten the shot twice and was violently ill for the week after, so I don't get them anymore. I will usually get some symptoms but thy clear up within a day o two.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would put my family to that risk, auto ammun is great, if it works, but if not is It worth that risk

we have been faithfully taking the flu shot past five years, prior to that kids would bring all sorts of crap home, temps of 101 to 103 were often seen, and that's not that great for you as well

I will stick with heath Canada reports

Contrary to popular belief, fevers are not bad for you. They are natural, and an integral part of our defense system. A fever greater than 104'F for sustained periods of time is dangerous and entirely another story. Once again, I question where we got the mentality that getting sick and the associated symptoms are totally unacceptable? Since when is a chemical alternative smarter than mother nature: its an arrogant assumption on the part of humans that we have, and will continue to, pay dearly for. A really great parallel example is the use of anti-inflammatories in soft tissue swelling and minor sports injuries. For many years the popular medical wisdom was to administer anti-inflammatories and ice immedately to any type of running or sports injury. Research now shows us that by circumventing the bodies natural inflammatory systems, healing time is actually delayed and increased, and the incidence of micro bleeding in the area of the tissue injury is also increased. Inflammation is actually quite a marvelous natural process; it is an extended and convoluted pathway to healing that we don't fully understand. We just know that it hurts and looks bad so we freak out and take the ibuprofen and make it go away, but in the long run end up hurting ourselves more. Of course, there are always the very severe cases (breaks/surgical cases) where an anti-inflammatory is necessary to remove enough swelling to restore proper blood flow to the area so it can heal. BUT that is exactly my point: as in much of our lives and in so many cases (including vaccinations) it is a matter of balance- knowing when to let nature take its course and knowing when to HELP nature take its course in a less damaging fashion. I believe we have come to a point in our civilization that we want instant gratification, no pain, and no down time and we will pay for such arrogance. "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Its what we don't know that worries me... Time to stop being sheeple and doing what is easiest and most convenient.

I also think that just because you were "really sick" doesn't mean you have H1N1... unless you have a case confirmed by testing/swabbing it would be really helpful to dispense with labelling your illness as H1N1 and keep the pandemic paranoia to a dull roar.

Last edited:

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said sledmamma ... I never have and never will get a flu shot and very rare will I take pills to make myself feel better ... the body is an amazing thing and will take care of it self !!!! To many ppl are just a drain on the hospitals and doctors time and run in there for ever bump bruise and cough ... give you body a chance to repair it self !!!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that would still be dying from polio if everyone had the same attitude. Vaccination IS exposing a person to a weakened form of the disease and letting the body build immunity naturally. Some get sick, some don't but the illness from the vaccine is almost never as severe as if you contract the actual disease. That being said I have never taken the Flu vaccine before either.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well I was down and out since new years eve congested chest coughing till I would almost throw up went to dr said it was viral was best to just tough it out next day couldn't swallow was like trying to swallow hot razor blades severe pain never had anything like had a tough time drinking water had some chicken noodle soup and the noodles were to painful to eat. Try to find a medicenter open nothing wasn't going to emerge for a sore throat. Suffer all day nothing would help come 6 pm start shivering was really cold wife check for fever 37.3C (98.5F ish) take to advil wife goes to get tylenol pharmacist says I have to wait 6 hours to take tylenol. 1.5 hours later 38.1C (100.5F)temp going up. She pours me into the cars takes me to the emerge get there tell them I was trying to hold out to the next day didn't want to come but my throat was so sore and tongue hurt so bad didn't come out right. They take temp 39.4 (103F) and my heart was 122 BPS so they get a little panicy and get me right in 2 tylenol and bit of oxygen start to turn around. Had a look at my throat said it looked fine but I had a bit of a stawberry tongue (looked swelled up). Fever came down heart rate was good said I had brochitas was going to have to tough it out but did a throat swab. 48 hours not real change different dr phones me to come in go he says I have strep throat he looks and my throat says it looks good i said it not the back of my mouth its way lower he takes some kind of curved instrument and looks down my throat and he said was wow it's pretty raw looking put me on antibiotics....so been a few days and I have being feeling a million times better

As for the flu shot i always get it and usually get the flu with the incubation period but I haven't got it this year because I had the H1N1 shot couple years ago I thought once you got it you are immune to that strain didn't know it had an expiry date with the flu shot

Top Bottom