Grooming

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread will be for the updated grooming dates as I get them. Will post tomorrow if I can track Rod down on what to expect this weekend.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you pass along a suggestion that as part of his schedule he groom Renshaw Sunday night for the weekday riders. Les catered to the weekend crowd and us weekday riders paid fees for unkept trails. This was a sore spot for me last year and I'm sure I'm not the only one. A good schedule to follow is what VARDA is using in Valemount.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year the trail was groomed Saturday night and they would collect a pail full of money Sunday morning. The groomer was non-existent weekdays yet we continued to pay for a rough trail left behind after Sunday's riders. If a groom were to take place Sunday night it would last till the next weekend and keep us weekday riders happy.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how many riders pay the trail fee on the weekend. This dictates how often the trails are groomed. Keith.

Same system as last year, never found trail whooped out to bad. Can't groom if loosing money or soon you have no groomer.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rod groomed Renshaw Sun. and plans to groom Thurs. Possibly Wed. will let me know in the am. Renshaw on Fri. Lucille and Bell Sat. so far.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D I still have'nt seen anybody packing thier sled out in a pail...so the odd bump or two is no big deal,,slow down take a pit stop,have a sip..lol:)

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw groomed tonite and thurs. nite as well. Cabin will be closed to the public Fri. am as that is the day for the new floor. Anybody wants to help I wouldn't turn them down.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucille last nite and Renshaw tonite.

animal jim

Reaction score
the grommer cannot make it to every hill every night so you should be thankfull that you get it groomed. There is only one groomer to do 6 different hills in a weekend so you can see how he cannot do every hill every day of the week!!@@@!! It takes 8-10 Hours to do the renshaw trail alone so it is a little out of reach to accomedate all the riders!!

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the grommer cannot make it to every hill every night so you should be thankfull that you get it groomed. There is only one groomer to do 6 different hills in a weekend so you can see how he cannot do every hill every day of the week!!@@@!! It takes 8-10 Hours to do the renshaw trail alone so it is a little out of reach to accomedate all the riders!!

Did a simple question warrant a venting rant????
And then to get a thank-you from Sledderglen. Thank-you for what??
Come on Glenn, you have more class than that or do you simply click thank-you on everything?

Now I'll educate the less informed......
There are 3 trails that get groomed at McBride, not six Mr. Peters. Unless you are referencing grooming all 3 twice, but that's not expected. Besides, we all know Bell gets groomed infrequently as it doesn't get the traffic.
People including myself do not expect every trail to be groomed every night and that's not what I asked. It's simply not possible or feasible so don't assume becasue when you do you usually end up looking like the first three letters of ASSume. And my question had nothing to do with weekend grooming.
I have posted before about weekday riding and the priority that weekend riders get when it comes to the grooming of Renshaw. And I presented a solution to appease and would appeal to weekday riders. Groom it Sunday night and it's good until Thursday or Friday night. I was on Renshaw trail Monday morning Jan. 14 and as usual the trail was crap. That will be the last time I will pay fees weekdays without a groom after the weekend. Enough was enough. I pointed Rod to the VARDA schedule for the Valemount trails as an example. We rode Clemina/Allen Tuesday and Wednesday Jan. 15/16. They groom Sunday night after the weekend crowd. Trail was great and very happy to pay for services rendered.

Time to get with the times Rod, aka - El-Jay grooming. The status quo is unacceptable.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did a simple question warrant a venting rant????
And then to get a thank-you from Sledderglen. Thank-you for what??
Come on Glenn, you have more class than that or do you simply click thank-you on everything?

Now I'll educate the less informed......
There are 3 trails that get groomed at McBride, not six Mr. Peters. Unless you are referencing grooming all 3 twice, but that's not expected. Besides, we all know Bell gets groomed infrequently as it doesn't get the traffic.
People including myself do not expect every trail to be groomed every night and that's not what I asked. It's simply not possible or feasible so don't assume becasue when you do you usually end up looking like the first three letters of ASSume. And my question had nothing to do with weekend grooming.
I have posted before about weekday riding and the priority that weekend riders get when it comes to the grooming of Renshaw. And I presented a solution to appease and would appeal to weekday riders. Groom it Sunday night and it's good until Thursday or Friday night. I was on Renshaw trail Monday morning Jan. 14 and as usual the trail was crap. That will be the last time I will pay fees weekdays without a groom after the weekend. Enough was enough. I pointed Rod to the VARDA schedule for the Valemount trails as an example. We rode Clemina/Allen Tuesday and Wednesday Jan. 15/16. They groom Sunday night after the weekend crowd. Trail was great and very happy to pay for services rendered.

Time to get with the times Rod, aka - El-Jay grooming. The status quo is unacceptable.

I get tired of hearing about guys crying about bumpy trails,What do some poeple expect for that huge some of money they pay every time they ride those darn ungroomed trails.As the old story goes,150000 on a sled.400 or 500 dollars for a two day weekend ect..ect.ect.And then to say,I'm not paying if they dont groom when I ride.Give your head a shake,This is backcountry riding,You are lucky there groomed at all.I sometimes wish they were'nt ever groomed so expectations are where they should be.Suggestions are fine but to say I'm not paying if is not the way I like it is childish!Pay your 15 bucks and be happy you have a place to Backcountry Ride!
catmando!

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with poleman, shouldn't have to pay on a wednesday, for a trail that was groomed on fri or sat and beat by 500 sleds over the weekend, not a problem if I was riding fri or sat

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with poleman, shouldn't have to pay on a wednesday, for a trail that was groomed on fri or sat and beat by 500 sleds over the weekend, not a problem if I was riding fri or sat
Posts like this are incrediblely single minded, and bug the hell out of me, take you blinders off and look at the big picture, I pay my 15 dollars per day and might not even see a groomed trail, but i did my part to help out with the funds so a fellow sledder will enjoy a groomed trail, and I'm hoping in return that i'll enjoy a groomed trail on a trip, and I usually do!! You think it cost's alot of money to drive your truck to your favorite riding spot, try putting fuel in that machine!!!
And in my own opinion you, or any bodyelse who thinks 15 per day is too much to spend, has nothing to bitch about until you spend hours grooming a trail yourself and see the hard work that goes in to maintaining a trail, I don't know if the guy who groomes in mcbride gets a salary or not, but when I did it I volunteered to do it, and I don't regret a second of it.
It was my way of supporting my local snowmobile club.
Sorry for the rant but I believe in supporting local clubs.

Powder hound

Reaction score
I'm also a weekday rider, I've been up there twice during the week this year and the last trip started out on Monday Jan 7. The trail had been groomed sunday night and was in excellent condition. Thanks Rod and keep up the good work.:)

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posts like this are incrediblely single minded, and bug the hell out of me, take you blinders off and look at the big picture, I pay my 15 dollars per day and might not even see a groomed trail, but i did my part to help out with the funds so a fellow sledder will enjoy a groomed trail, and I'm hoping in return that i'll enjoy a groomed trail on a trip, and I usually do!! You think it cost's alot of money to drive your truck to your favorite riding spot, try putting fuel in that machine!!!
And in my own opinion you, or any bodyelse who thinks 15 per day is too much to spend, has nothing to bitch about until you spend hours grooming a trail yourself and see the hard work that goes in to maintaining a trail, I don't know if the guy who groomes in mcbride gets a salary or not, but when I did it I volunteered to do it, and I don't regret a second of it.
It was my way of supporting my local snowmobile club.
Sorry for the rant but I believe in supporting local clubs.

Again the uninformed. Rod has the contract to groom McBride trails and if there was no money to be made he wouldn't be there. 300 sleds on Dec. 29 alone = $4500. Not exactly chump change even considering fixed and variable costs. Fee for service is what grooming is supposed to be. And I do fully support clubs and volunteering. Don't confuse the two here.

And thanks for your $.02 CATMANDO. I'd happily go back 25 years when we used the Blackwater and Chalco creeks to reach the alpine. Always virgin unmarked powder worth the 30 KM of 3 foot moguls. You are so out to lunch telling people who's background you don't know as "guys crying about bumpy trails". And yes CAPER11, for your information the trails(logging roads) were in place way back then.

My post was meant as a positive suggestion to address a concern.....only to digress to this.
Why did I bother??????

Flygirl21

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mcbridebc.org
Hey BBToys, Mell here, Rod Groomed Renshaw on Wed Day time and no one has been up the renshaw yet, Lucille was done Wed night and 4 people have been on it and Bell was done today(Thurs). Approx 3 feet of snow now on all the hills!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I know, had a chat with him today. Nobody up the Renshaw, amazed to here that so up the hill tomorrow to clear the ice off the porch floor. I would wade into this grooming debate put I seem to get into trouble when I do. Remember when the $$$ used to be for the previlege of riding the trails not for the grooming, like it is in Alberta. You have to have a TRAIL PASS to ride, andmostof the time the trails where not groomed. Yes 300 riders = 4500$ but if you were to look at the numbers since the Christmas break you would understand the reason for not grooming sometimes. For you guys who want to complain about the trails not groomed on Mon and Tues I don't think there is anything we can say or show you that will make you happy. I gather you went to Val. to ride because you were not happy, well I hope you enjoyed your ride. Just to rub it in a bit, Tues. 3 feet of fresh on the hill, vis. was not to good as it snowed all day, oh and the trail had not been groomed but 2-3 feet of snow on it, no hoops, oh did I mention it had not been groomed.
Groomed Wed. and nobody here to ride on Thurs. so should be nice up there tomorrow.;):):D:D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again the uninformed. Rod has the contract to groom McBride trails and if there was no money to be made he wouldn't be there. 300 sleds on Dec. 29 alone = $4500. Not exactly chump change even considering fixed and variable costs. Fee for service is what grooming is supposed to be. And I do fully support clubs and volunteering. Don't confuse the two here.

And thanks for your $.02 CATMANDO. I'd happily go back 25 years when we used the Blackwater and Chalco creeks to reach the alpine. Always virgin unmarked powder worth the 30 KM of 3 foot moguls. You are so out to lunch telling people who's background you don't know as "guys crying about bumpy trails". And yes CAPER11, for your information the trails(logging roads) were in place way back then.

My post was meant as a positive suggestion to address a concern.....only to digress to this.
Why did I bother??????

Thanks for being gentle poleman,It would be great if they grommed everyday but that is not in the budget and likely never will be.On the weekend it is profitable,on the weekedays its not,I run a business and its not hard to do the math,These guys are trying to run without a deficit,also not overly concerned about getting rich they just need to pay the bills.If they were making enough to groom everyday they would and we would not be wasting our time on this thread,but that is not feasable.Your background has no bearing on my opinion,I jump on this topic everytime someone brings it up because It pisses me off to hear how much people expect for 15 dollars or say you go to the mountains 9 times which is average per year for me.That says I ride mostly groomed trails to the alpine for 135 dollars for a whole year=One cavlar belt,One winshield,Four hours in the bar or supper at the Caribou in Vale.Who,s out too lunch????
Mayby we should concentrate on how to ride those groomed trail.
catmando!

Top Bottom