Groomer.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Earlier in the season some people were asking about some pics of the new groomer and here are some recent ones. We are up helping and riding with Hotrod for the week. Well actually we're riding and Hotrods driving! Higgins.

Attachments

• Rod & Mark. 001.jpg
    Rod & Mark. 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Rod & Mark. 002.jpg
    Rod & Mark. 002.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Rod & Mark. 003.jpg
    Rod & Mark. 003.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P1010177.jpg
    P1010177.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 60

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice groomer, but, can he get those trails cut a little deeper, and maybe 12 feet wide, instead of 10 feet?;)

I heard guys at the Sun Valley Restaurant saying that they saw him high blading on the way up. :nono: I found the ride down our last day a little rough for freshly groomed trails. That being said I know what it take to groom a trail. I have from time to time groomed the trails in the Bonnyville area and know that if sleds get on too soon it just blows out the snow and leaves the trail rough.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Pipes glad to meet you on our quick introduction!! Setup time is a big thing when grooming. The more time it has to setup the better, and thats why you see him sometime a 4:00pm because he wants the finishing run to setup for 10-12 hrs. When i seen you guys you were heading down after a first pass up and we, Hotrod and i both commented how rough it got from very few sledders after the snow was disturbed. But he was also doing Lucielle after that so sometimes theres a compromise especially when it's busy. As far as widening the trail Ric, i don't believe that will happen. And theres a couple of reasons for that. First is on the lower part of the trail, the snow coverage isn't very great and especially as the season gets longer you need the snow to blade in to keep the trail built. The wider the less opportunity to do that, plus you'd be zig zagging back and forth as things disipated. And when you get up top, lets say the wind is gusting 20-40km, you can't see a thing you need something as a reference and thats what is used, the banks. Actually i talked to him recently about that and thats some of the feedback i got. Higgins

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Pipes glad to meet you on our quick introduction!! Setup time is a big thing when grooming. The more time it has to setup the better, and thats why you see him sometime a 4:00pm because he wants the finishing run to setup for 10-12 hrs. When i seen you guys you were heading down after a first pass up and we, Hotrod and i both commented how rough it got from very few sledders after the snow was disturbed. But he was also doing Lucielle after that so sometimes theres a compromise especially when it's busy. As far as widening the trail Ric, i don't believe that will happen. And theres a couple of reasons for that. First is on the lower part of the trail, the snow coverage isn't very great and especially as the season gets longer you need the snow to blade in to keep the trail built. The wider the less opportunity to do that, plus you'd be zig zagging back and forth as things disipated. And when you get up top, lets say the wind is gusting 20-40km, you can't see a thing you need something as a reference and thats what is used, the banks. Actually i talked to him recently about that and thats some of the feedback i got. Higgins

thanks higgins didn't mean to sound like I was slammin' you or the groomer. It's just that I know what groomin' is all about and have heard a lot of the same complaints. I do have to agree with Ric though a litttle deeper cut would tend to smooth out the trail even it sleds are on too early. I would love the opportunity to run an awesome groomer like you have. check out the one I get to run

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem, i'll pass you comments on pipes! Thats quite the machine, what make is that one?

Higgs tell Hotrod that the trail was awesome today even when we came down. What happened to you today we had a great ride missed the entertainment thou.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a bit rough on the way out after passing the groomer both days at around 26 km. I think the biggest thing is the 60-70 sled sno-cross race that starts as soon as the groomer goes by.:eek: Guys in our group were talking about getting passed at 4 km on the way out, and we move along a pretty good pace.:rolleyes: 2.25" tracks, spinning more often than they are hooked up most of the time; at WFO down the trail right after the groomer has filled in the holes isn't a real good way to keep up a trail.:nono: I did notice the blade up too, but I have no idea how to run a groomer. I always thought the blade was for moving deep snow and the drag was for smoothing the trail. I dunno, do your best boys,:beer: and if everyone just came down at 65-70kms/h, and tried to limit the amount of track spin I bet it would help out alot too.:)

Trevor Repka

Reaction score
Just would like to thank everybody involed in grooming the trail, was there dec 20ish and it was a highway, loved every bit of it, I know it's tough but if we can avoid spinning the tracks once in awhile i'm sure it would help everyone, that's all, thanks again! Safe riding!!!!!

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice groomer cab, makes a guy want to apply for the job....on second thought, I'll stick to riding the sled. :cool:

Top Bottom