GREAT Klim Warranty

CLVTCH

Reaction score
How times have changed. Got a pair of powercross gloves that tore halfway through my second day riding. Klim would not warranty them on the grounds that they were torn from use and not as a result of manufacturer defect. Spent lots on Klim this year, going to try another brand next time.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems polaris has screwed around with Klim as they have with timbersled. Have pair of there pants that Im getting wet in. They don't deal with the place in Calgary anymore. Sent Klim pictures as they requested, they said wash the pants & they will be good enough. If I get wet again, pay shipping to them.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try Spirit West/Outdoor Approach in Calgary - (403) 263-1381 As a dealer, we've used them for both cleaning and repairs and Steve and the gang there do a awesome job at fixing stuff for us. I know Cylex also does it, but no experience with them.
Klim repair bill was $200 with shipping - Klim USA insists that the jacket Warranty would be void if fixed by anyone in Canada, even by an authorized Goretex repair company. This will be the last dollar Klim USA (Polaris) gets from me.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not good news at all. I bought klim stuff a few years ago solely for their quality products and warranty service. My tether loop on my jacket is holding on by a few threads and the last couple rides I have noticed that I feel damp in my jacket and pants so I was planning on making a warranty claim here as the season wraps up for me. My luck of having my gear repaired or replaced doesn't look good, but I am still going to give it a shot.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us informed on how you make out with your warranty claim. Lots of folks wearing klim gear. I also have a pair of gloves and possibly a set of boots to send back for warranty. No sense if they don't honour the warranty and shipping and repair costs more than the clothing.
Thanks

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep us informed on how you make out with your warranty claim. Lots of folks wearing klim gear. I also have a pair of gloves and possibly a set of boots to send back for warranty. No sense if they don't honour the warranty and shipping and repair costs more than the clothing.
Thanks

I was told by a couple of guys that they no longer warranty boots that are over a year old or something like that. I could be wrong but just something that I remember hearing. But yeah I will try and remember to update in here once I have made my claim and let everyone know how it goes.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, boots have only a 1 year warranty. I just received a warranty claim on a pair of bibs. The process has been changed and that process takes longer. Spirit West in Calgary is no longer doing warranty repair (you can still get zippers/patches, etc.. done at your expense).

My Togwotee bibs are just a year old and were leaking in the butt. I went to the warranty page on Klim's web-site and filled out the form with my personal information, sent in pictures, and a copy of the invoice. I got a Case Number within 5 minutes. I had to send the bibs in for further evaluation (in other words a "water test" that used to be done at Spirit West and/or at the old DCI facilities in McGrath, AB.). They use UPS and I had a few concerns with that process and ended up sending them in at my expense. It took a week from when I sent them into Klim in Idaho until I received confirmation that "yes, the butt is leaking".

They have no stock in my size and I had an option of going to a Canadian dealer and getting them to send a pair to me (not a lot of dealers have stock in small sizes this time of year) or waiting for new stock in September and then Klim will send a new pair out. I decide to eliminate the middle man and I will wait to have the new stock sent in the fall.

Once again, I was pleased with Klim's warranty. Not real happy with the process. They are guaranteed to keep you dry and that was the bottom line. Great people too deal with as are those at Spirit West. I have a broken zipper on a jacket and don't expect that to be fixed on warranty. Spirit West will probably repair for well under $50.00 with a waterproof/windproof zipper.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have zero faith in Klim's products and warranty after last summers warranty run around I had with Klim and their warranty department.

A little background. I purchased new for the winter of 2013/14 Klim's new Stealth gear. As you can imagine the price for that gear was very high but given my previous experience with the majority of Klim's gear and how it performed over the previous several years I felt I was making an investment which would last me another several seasons. Over that winter season, which I will estimate 50 or so days riding I noticed the bibs were fading in various locations and I would sometimes not be dry at the end of the day. That can sometimes be attributed to other factors though so I washed the gear as suggested by Klim twice over that season. For 2014/2015 as many people are more than aware the season sucked and I likely had half has many days riding. At the end of the season I was wet on more than one occasion and the material had faded severely and the seams were wearing through. I started a warranty claim in the early summer figuring sending items back and forth would require some time and I didn't want to go into fall without resolving my concerns.

First I sent an email with my claim and was given a claim number. I was then instructed to send photos of my bibs with the batch number and particularity the area which I felt was failing. Within a week I was sent an email back saying the claim would be denied as it was normal wear and tear. What? No this was not normal wear and tear. My previous bibs were the Klim Extreme bibs and were perfectly fine as far as "wear and tear" over 5-6 seasons but I bought into the Stealth gears description and expected it to perform as described. From their website-

The ultimate in lightweight, durable, highly mobile GORE-TEX® snowmobiling bibs. Nothing like this has ever been on the market. The all-new Stealth Bib is set to redefine aggressive riding performance. Built with massive flex thanks to the high mobility of GORE-TEX® flex 3-layer laminate technology, the Stealth Bib is the most mobile, easy-to-wear premium snow bib on the market. It incorporates many never-before-seen technologies into the best fitting, aggressive-ride ready bib. The Stealth Bib is the most mobile, rider-comfort-focused snowmobiling bib in the world.

INTENSE COMBINATION OF LIGHT WEIGHT AND HIGH STRENGTH
HEAVY-DUTY STRETCH NYLON IN HIGH WEAR AREAS
OFF-ROAD PANT-STYLE SEAT CONSTRUCTION OFFERS DURABLITY AND COMFORT
DOUBLE STITCHING

And the list goes on.

Here are a few photos...

Why would the Ultimate, durable bibs, Kilm's premier product be worn out in a season and a half? I responded, and was told again NO. So I asked the claim to be elevated to their manager and again was told NO. This was over a period of a month or more at this point. I then sent a much longer email. As you can imagine just by the length of this post that email was several pages, describing my history with Klim products, my list of Klim products my family and I own, also raising questions about their product description and the change to their product material for 2015/2016 - from their website: The redesigned STEALTH BIB enjoys a massive fabric upgrade thanks to KLIM®’s Mountaineering Grade 150D Nylon Outer Fabric now used in combination with ultra-durable overlays on the lower legs and knees. Interesting as that described the areas which were wearing heavily on my bibs but mine was due to wear and tear by my own doing as per Klim. I was then forwarded to a new person. This person was going to make an exception. They were not going to approve my warranty claim but they were willing to do a one time customer satisfaction replacement. It still irritated me that my gear failing was due to a season and a half of wear and tear. I had also met someone else in that time who also had a similar concern about the Stealth gear, but anyhow, I graciously accepted they would replace my bibs but they would not replace them with Stealth gear. Oh? Okay sure why replace it with something that obviously has issues. They offered to send me something that was completely unlike what I would ever wear. I then asked about a different product. Again emails going back and forth over a period of weeks. I wanted to physically try on one of their suggestions so I could confirm if I liked the fit and it took some time to find the proper size in town as well. Nothing was going to fit the way I wanted compared to the Stealth. I was then asked if I would like a pair of the new Stealth gear bibs. What? Why wasn't I offered these in the first place? They even went as far to mention the new material would be more durable and better suited for me. Okay great!!! Send them to me! Then it was like the Jeopardy tune for a month waiting for a response. I sent more emails, I called, no response. Then eventually almost 3 months after the start of this process someone gets a hold of me. Would I still like the replacement bibs? Ah yeah? Apparently the previous person who was dealing with me was no longer with Klim, likely due to their exception customer service skills. Anyhow. I had to cut my bibs in half, take photos of said bibs and new ones would be sent to me. Okay. Done. Got the bibs.

So did it all work out? Sure. Would I buy such a product from Klim ever again? At this point I will say not very likely. The replacement bibs are still in the package, reason being the sled show came and I had not received my new bibs. I decided to try FXR's mountain series of gear. I haven't had to deal with FXR's warranty but as far as the product goes I have only minor complaints like a zipper spitting in the leg which I fixed. This gear hands down looks better after a very hard season of riding. It is built well, the color options are better if you like bright colors, the pricing is much better than Klim. I could easily buy new FXR gear every 2 years and have the newest colors and not expect it last as its a "cheaper" product vs expecting Klim to last several years.

Anyhow, rant over! FXR all the way for me!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Danny, those just look like a well used pair of jeans. No warranty on jeans either. I wasn't a fan of the Stealth gear when it first came out and I still don't like it.

My big thing with the Klim warranty is "guaranteed to keep you dry". I know there is a "product life" and it isn't my life time. Every year, my Togwotee's have failed the water test. 3 ply GoreTex and it keeps me dry for a certain length of time. I make sure they get tested before my year is out and I haven't had any problems getting them replaced for water leakage (the replacement this time will be bib number 8 on the initial purchase). Yes, it is a pain going through the process but what else out there keeps you dry in the weather we have these days? Plastic bags? ArcTeryx gear has the same shell and their warranty isn't nearly as easy to get and ArcTeryx gear is at least another 20% higher. My gear isn't abused, it just fails to keep me dry. Until such time as Klim takes off the tags "guaranteed to keep you dry", I will continue to buy it and send it in for warranty.

I will admit the FXR gear is colourful but I have seen first hand how wet the flatlanders are when we ride in the rain or heavy wet snow. They are easy to find in the trees and they are the ones in the cabin with gear all over the place trying to get dry.

AltaCycle

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Motofist warranty same day replacement at any dealer. Read the back page of there catologs. Only exception I have ever seen is when you cut your gloves with a knife they make you send them in. Normally anything else the dealer just hands you new pair.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Motofist warranty same day replacement at any dealer. Read the back page of there catologs. Only exception I have ever seen is when you cut your gloves with a knife they make you send them in. Normally anything else the dealer just hands you new pair.

What about a leak test? Do they keep you dry and for how long?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bull sh!t, that's a not what I have been told ever

No dealer has new stuff to give or loan out at all that I have ever seen

Back when they first came out mabe, but not now

U have to send them in I was told, and called even for my gear at the start of this year, but wasn't waiting for them to decide or waist my time, just delt with the stuff for now which sucks

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Motor fist will send u loaner gear... once u receive it u sent your gear in for repair is how I understand it works

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Better check with another dealer tex.... Alberta cycle is a dealership and distributor of motorfist, and i know i was told exactly what they said, about motorfist

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called and opened two cases to fix my gear for many reasons

Never was I asked for loaner gear ect, so I'm still using them till I'm done this year as it was the start of the year in November I remembered about the issues when I got them out of the winter bin

I have asked years ago at a few dealers and they all said they have no loaners and didn't want to help at all, as it sounds like a big pain the azz for them

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also funny thing is they never called to find out how come the gear never showed up as this was in November

So what happens if they got lost going there??

Not good client relations, to not call and find out what's up

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just sent a stealth jacket in for a broken front zipper. Will see how it goes

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Klim warranty is always a fight. They are okay for under layers. Motorfist warranty is 10 times better. My gear is probably 50/50 between motorfist and klim.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Danny, those just look like a well used pair of jeans. No warranty on jeans either. I wasn't a fan of the Stealth gear when it first came out and I still don't like it.

I will admit the FXR gear is colourful but I have seen first hand how wet the flatlanders are when we ride in the rain or heavy wet snow. They are easy to find in the trees and they are the ones in the cabin with gear all over the place trying to get dry.

Worn over a long time is one thing. Worn in a season and a half on their best product that retails over $1200 for the pair of items is unacceptable. My previous 5-6 year old bibs didn't fade or wear out like that but I had ripped the leg on a snow flap of all things so rather than have them repaired I opted to splurge and buy new. I still believe Gore is one of the best membranes available but if the product surrounding the membrane sucks and falls apart having Goretex that is guaranteed to keep you dry isn't very helpful.

They had an issue with the material. It was defective as far as I am concerned. They updated the material for this past winter for obvious reasons and wouldn't honour the warranty for the defect. Why spend a lot of money on a premium product from Klim when they won't stand behind their product?

I have not had any issues with FXR's water proof membranes. I was skeptical as FXR has been a flatlanders go to gear for awhile. I have ridden a lot this year and people have asked me numerous time on my thoughts with the gear. I cannot speak for every version of their gear but the stuff I have has been great. I could see some of their lighter duty products not holding up. The material was too thin I believe on some of them for tree riding. I didn't purchase at retail pricing either and I am more than happy. I don't wear insulated gear either which I think is just horrible stuff in any brand.

I am glad their are options out there.

Top Bottom