Gps

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could not make it to the course but I was just wondering what everyone has for GPS and where a good place to buy one is ? I want to get one this week... Any help would be great.

Thanks

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would highly recomend Discovery GPS and the Rhino 520 or 530.These are by far the coolest GPS on the market for the ouitdoor enthusiast.Do your reasearch and find the one that works best for what you need.The price will very a lot depending on what you buy.The guys at Discovery are very helpfull.
catmando!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
and the rhinos from there are the american ones so they have the 5w radio not like our piddley 2w ones

goodleo

Reaction score
The rino 530 hcs is a very nice unit. That is what I will be buying. Discover GPS is a great store with very helpful guys. Prices in the US are about $100 - $150 cheaper. Worth checking it out.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I "think" they were $389 in your hand from Discovery....anyone remember?, but you saved the gas from Red Deer

If ya got a Rino 530 "HCX" for that price thats great, I shopped around but this was the best deal I could find for the HCX model 5 watt.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got mine for 389 and it is the american version!Got a 2 mg chip for 25.00 as well.Very pleased with that price.Murminator was ther when I bought it!
It was a discounted price for taking the course!
catmando!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. I just got home from Belize for 2 weeks. The ebay guy I used was "discountedgps" I just looked it up I paid $350 USD plus shipping.

summitron

Reaction score
With the Rhinos, Does anyone know if you have to be within radio range for the polling feature to work. What happens if your on different sides of the hill? Can you tell where your buddies stuck? Can you set it too poll every few minutes automatically so if you do lose some one you can at least get back close to last known location?

Too Bad I was asleep at the switch, I guess I should have attended the gps course.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the Rhinos, Does anyone know if you have to be within radio range for the polling feature to work. What happens if your on different sides of the hill? Can you tell where your buddies stuck? Can you set it too poll every few minutes automatically so if you do lose some one you can at least get back close to last known location?

Too Bad I was asleep at the switch, I guess I should have attended the gps course.
you have to be in radio range for the polling feature to operate, the frs/gmrs radios work in the 462-467mhz range but the low transmit power limits them to pretty much line of sight operation. they will penetrate buildings and the like, but not through hills or rock. not sure if the polling can be set to auto, the polling is limited to every 30 seconds when you push the transmit button.

JOESKIDOO

Reaction score
Just bought 3 Rhino 530Hcx's from gpscity.ca, love all of the features of this unit. I am looking for the best recreation download for the Garmin now. Have the Ram mount for the quad also... pretty neat!! I am looking for some program to "enable" the 5 watts of power for the radio, it's out there somewhere. All garmin does is just disable the feature in the Canadian units.

Top Bottom