GPS handheld

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are the best option out there price is not issue, i got lost hunting last year chasing an elk and never again do i want that to happen again. im looking for something that easy to use with the maps already in the gps that has good "reception" anywhere in canada, terrain maps not just pin drops, good battery life.

i was looking at a garmin at wholesale but was not sure the clerk had the right knowledge about them and was also not happy with how old they re stock was.

what should i get and where should i get it?

thanks guys

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 76CSx that I really like Quite easy to use but I had to load the topographic maps. I don't know that you can get a GPS with the Topo's already loaded. maybe some elsae can chime in and help you out with this

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Garmin GPSMap 62st has topo maps already loaded. I like the 60 series GPS's because they are featurful and have a varitey of buttons that simplify their use without consuming screen realstate. I would consider these units perfect if they were combined with the radio / buddy locator like in the Rhinos. I was originally attracted to them because they're waterproof and rugged - I can personally confirm that they are both. ...the 62stc is identical but with a camera.

Never owned one with a touch screen, but I like mud and it just seems like it would be a real pain, especially since many units (like the new Rhino 650's) can only be operated by touch screen - no buttons.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got to watch what model of garmin gps's for sure, a lot of earlier models will not lock on in adverse conditions, all the magellan models will lock on. Must be a patient thing or something like that. The new models of gps's with all the maps built in are just great, you turn your gps and it will point an arrow to what direction your heading on the map, i have the magellan 610 because it was only 299 at canadiantire. Don't believe the battery life they claim though..carry spares. Both garmin and magellan have yearly subscriptions you can pay for and get google earth quality. Of coarse a larger memory card will have to purchased as well. I usually print a topo map as well. The cost of topo mapping software is 99 dollars per province at maptown. You can download vantagepoint software for free and try it out.

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill defenatly have to take a look at the rhinos. and the 60 series. the garmin etrex has worldwide basemaps built in, i dont know what a base map is but it sounds good lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out bush maps website

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my vote for the rhino garmin gps, radio to locate other rhino users, and gps mapping.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the choice was the garmin 450T or the 60Csx and not worried about the touch screen, what would be your pic. Thanks

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are the best option out there price is not issue, i got lost hunting last year chasing an elk and never again do i want that to happen again. im looking for something that easy to use with the maps already in the gps that has good "reception" anywhere in canada, terrain maps not just pin drops, good battery life.

i was looking at a garmin at wholesale but was not sure the clerk had the right knowledge about them and was also not happy with how old they re stock was.

what should i get and where should i get it?

thanks guys

Garmin 655T 5 watt power, touch screen and 5 mp digital cam built in. able to track other rhinos in your group. $525 seems to be the average price online.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Rhino series is great if you require a radio that contacts other Rhino's. They are also good for a basic GPS.

All the maps that are available are awesome. The Map Source series has all the contours, creeks, major mountains, highways, etc.

I have used Garmin for years and that is all I would ever use. Contact GPS Central in Calgary and talk to them. They will be very helpful.

The Garmin people in Kansas (teck help) are also very helpful and were very instrumental in getting my Garmin and my Apple coordinated.

toomuchsledformyowngood

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just went out and got the gramin gpsmap 62 s. i had to buy the topo maps seperate but its a nice unit. the newer version is all touch but kinda bulky for my use of it. i appreciate all the input guys, it help a hell of alot

Top Bottom