Government regulation - Kash Heed article

teamti

Reaction score
Here's a glimpse of what will likely will happen. Looks like only sleds for the backcountry affected

Avalanche Safety Starts With The Individual - Opinion 250 - News for Northern and Central Interior of British Columbia, Canada

In combination with increased awareness, by November 2011 we will have new policies in place for off-road vehicles (ORVs), including snowmobiles, which will assist riders with the safe operation of their recreational machines. These include mandatory vehicle registration of all ORVs at sale and resale, a licence plate or decal to identify irresponsible ORV riders and track stolen ORVs and an expanded definition of ORVs that will allow local government to enact bylaws such as restricting access, setting noise levels and designating specific trails.

As well, all ORV riders will be required to wear a helmet and use lights for low-visibility conditions on Crown land, including road rights of way. Additional measures will also be brought in to better protect youth under 16 years of age, such as adult supervision, appropriately sized machines for age and weight, and reduced speed limits.

m8cat

Reaction score
Apparently having registration and a plate on our sleds will cause the big bad avys to stay put and not bury us.....?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im for laws aslong as they say My 9 year old can drive his own sled or quad! I have no problem riding with the kids if there is a speed limit for them..... but to just say no they can not drive will be so hard on them. the kids need some thing to teach them how to respect the back country! so by the sounds of it I better not sell the 550 since it will probably be the sled he will have to ride and not the 800 lol. as for noise restrictions......good bye to all the pipes! how do I quiten up the turbo apex?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Im for laws aslong as they say My 9 year old can drive his own sled or quad! I have no problem riding with the kids if there is a speed limit for them..... but to just say no they can not drive will be so hard on them. the kids need some thing to teach them how to respect the back country! so by the sounds of it I better not sell the 550 since it will probably be the sled he will have to ride and not the 800 lol. as for noise restrictions......good bye to all the pipes! how do I quiten up the turbo apex?

They cant regulate noise on street bikes now, how in the world do they intend to regulate noise lol...

I love when lawmakers make these new laws with no relation as to how they will police and enforce them...Registration at time of purchase, WOW, thats like saying you have to pay PST in SK then everyone shops in Alberta...

What a think tank...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

just wear ear plugs duhhh! jk:d

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Apparently having registration and a plate on our sleds will cause the big bad avys to stay put and not bury us.....?

I would think not!

As mentioned in the original post, this is to enforce registration of all ORV in BC and allow them to track them as they do in most other provinces. The stolen sled issue around BC sledding destinations combined with stolen dirt bikes, and quads and trailer contents is what's feeding this and it's definitely needed.

Right now BC doesn't require registration of off road vehicles and that makes it easy to sell and use stolen off highway vehicles within the Province and I would there is a lot of it. This will help enforce it like they do in Alberta where park wardens will check registrations and VIN's at trail heads and within popular sledding areas. It will hopefully slow the thefts that a lot of people have been going through in places like Sicamous, Revy, and McBride and allow them to recover some stolen property.

Without Reg, there's no way to track it or deter the thefts. I'm sure it will also provide them another cash cow with a large influx of registrations next year. It was only a matter of time until this was brought in, and would likely of happened even without everything of late.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's already mandatory to have your sleds registered in BC if you are using them on crown land. Has been for years.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was only a matter of time until this was brought in, and would likely of happened even without everything of late.

Correct. This legislation was introduced in the legislature last year. It has nothing to do with the last two weeks!

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If only the manufacturer's put a serial number or something on them to track stolen units...idiots. I read it as a Kash grab and nothing else.
Sleds have needed to registered in BC for sometime, read PST collection.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled has been Insured and registered from day one. In BC you sled needs to be registered period. It also needs to be insured if you are crossing a road that motor vehicles drive on or you are riding across parking lots. The only thing that keeps us safe is Avy training and using that knowledge to stay away from the hazards.
Play safe!:beer::beer:

Top Bottom