good laptops

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i have a dell and its the biggest piece of f*&^%# crap i've ever had, but i have been useing a ACER now and then and its a good one

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acer, Asus, Sony, Toshiba to name a few. Every company has high end and low end computers, but high end for longevity. I have an HP that one of the best computers I've ever had, it's followed me around the world three times with no issues.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I spent the extra $$ on a Fujitsu, this was purchaced in 2005 and Im still using it. Its a tablet. Its actually been a great laptop. It was alot more than most of its counterparts but it has been worth it. Unfortunately I will be going with a Macbook next though. But If I was going with the PC it would be the same brand. Ive made the entire website on this laptop and most have seen me carrying this around even you Brad.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
bang for buck i say acer...bought myself an acer laptop. and the gf an acer desk top.....both run great, fast on the net, had 0 problems with them.....and cheap......

with that said, much like anything else you will always get more than one opinion as every one comp. is different...good luck with what ever you buy and if you don't d/l all kinds of chit they will all last

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 3 HP laptops in the family and have previously had 2 HP desktops and they range anywhere from 1 month to 5 years old and haven't had any problems with any of them, except for the laptop that went for a swim, didn't work well after that.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the MacBook Pro. Nothing better, I've had IBM, Dell, Acer, HP but nothing has ever come close to the Mac.....

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He would of gotton a Mac from us if he had finished school and Graduated...:nono::realmad:

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree on the Mac. Been almost 4 years now and not a single problem. Great for photo & video editing as well.:beer:

snowdrifter

Reaction score
I guess it is the same with every mayor brand, entry level is worth what you pay for, business level when you want longevity, some more money when but worth it in the long run.

MacBookPro is really nice if you can spend premium bucks.

I have a store in Clearwater, old Slocan building next to Post Office. Glad to show you some options.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a Toshiba laptop since 2006 - That poor computer has been through hell and back. 2 Years of education where I was on my computer 8 hours a day at school, then a few hours at least a night on homework + random facebooking + song downloading. It cost me a pretty penny when I bought it, but to be honest, IF I were to get another PC laptop, it would be a Toshiba.

That being said, my next purchase (hopefully a birthday gift!! LOL) will be a MacBook Pro. I love the interface that Apple has, and although it is different than what I'm used to, I am sure once I got used to it, I would be like every one else who has one and LOVE IT!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the plans for it. If you plan to do any sort of gaming. PC is the ONLY option. Wouldn't ever buy a mac for the simple reason to do able to game you have to dual boot and run windows. Kind of a hypocrit if you buy a mac to only use windows ain't ya? :d

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Toshiba.....didn't they start it all?

I've had a toshiba for the last 4 years....windows XP (skidoo)

My kids both have HP's.....windows 7

I'll probably buy a mac for the next one though.....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm currently running a Gateway Ultrabright Widescreen. Love it. I have had it for over a year, and it's the only puter I own. I would buy another one, when the time comes. In a Heartbeat.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent around 5 years in the computer/networking industry before changing gears a few years back. I still try and stay up to date with what I can though. From my experiences supporting all kinds and types - the main number 1 problem many people have is they go out and buy these fancy new computers from all these companies who, by default, load them all up with a bunch of crap that messes up your computer from the start. Trial software, gaming accounts, brand specific "utilities", trial AV software, etc the list goes on and on... Most of this stuff is setup to run and start-up when you turn your computer on - which just hogs all your memory and once you start adding a few of your own things - just makes for a horrible and frustrating experience usually. And then people think they have "spyware" and download all these "free" AV and spyware removers, which may help temporarily, but themselves just run in the background and make things even slower most of the time. Probably about 9 times out of 10 one can make their computer faster and seem "like new" in about 10 seconds if they know how to easily disable all this crap. Problem is - most people don't know how to do this and get frustrated and just go and buy another one - the companies like this!! haha.

Anyway - from what I've seen and experienced - working with just about every brand of computer out there, when it comes to PC's anyway - when you take it out of the box do yourself a favor and format it, re-install a clean version of the OS then begin adding your own software (Word, Excel, full AV software, etc). You will have a much "cleaner" computer, and if you're careful not to download lots of "crap" and maintain the software - your computer will likely keep you happy for many years.

As noted earlier most companies have high and low end computers. Some obviously last longer than others. Different companies have different hardware features which may be a reason to buy one over another for you. But generally they all have the same or similar software - which causes most of the frustrations for people (see above).

One other recommendation I have is - if you can try and buy it through a business account or similar. If you ever do have a problem - the computer companies generally give MUCH MUCH better service to these sectors, which makes things easier as well. Most track this via the serial numbers - in some cases (HP use to do this I know) part of the serial # indicates where it was made (US, MX, CH, etc). Personal use serial numbers usually had MX or CH, but business computers mostly had US. Not necessarily saying anything bad about MX or CH, but the US ones generally lasted/worked much better.

Where I worked we used Dell. Good machines, good customer support (business account), and if you have the software setup correctly and maintain it every now and then its technology will probably be many years outdated before it gives up.

OR - JUST BUY A MAC - REALLY!

Sorry for the such lengthy response, but hopefully it helps some in yours and maybe others decision.

Top Bottom