Golden Snow 2013

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates for golden? Friend is heading that way tommorow and isn't on the site looking for conditions for quartz etc thanks

I don't know how much faith you can put in the Shadam's report but its been mild, really mild down low, barely freezing up top. Hard to say how high the rain is going and where the snow starts. Best idea is look at Roger's pass webcam. Pretty much what you see there and add a little pow for elevation gain.

Looked like rain all day at the Summit. Not great. Where is the freakin cold Golden weather I am used to?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any updates for golden? Friend is heading that way tommorow and isn't on the site looking for conditions for quartz etc thanks

Maxwell it has been raining under 4000ft most of the time. Once you reach about 5/5500 snow is decent. Silent or quartz would be the place to hit. Hope might be good now or by the weekend for a run, chatter cam could tell yea. I got a couple honey holes not on the map probably worth a trip but yea... would cost a guy a couple cases of beer to get that info:beer:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was light snow at the trail head at quartz but puking up top when we left.

since no one wantz to believe me,

look at the highway cams for this region,
snow-forcast.com for great canadian heli skiing and kicking horse mtn resort.
rogers pass avalanche report, it will tell u how much snow fell at both 1315m and 1905m
and kicing horse mtn snow conditions report.

all can be done in 60 seconds

oh well ... I guess I better go check it out for u ...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

General conscensus for Golden it seems from all the threads - some snow, more is needed in many areas but there is enough to ride the trails and maybe venture off trail a little if one is cautious. Do not go there with the expectation that it will be an all day, off trail adventure in nipple deep snow and no risk of scrubbing something underneath. IF you want to serious boondock keep driving to Revy.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha ... was orsum !!!

so back to quartz creek we went
twice as many trucks on carpark
but still very few really

all tracks had disappeared!
trail building for sled-snowboard drops was a stuck-a-thon so we sledded instead, and got stuck repeatedly
creeks are more bridged than at march of last year ... so be very careful, or keep the throtle open and dont be a pussy

speaking of,
i found 2 creeks within 1km of each other and we al thought it looked ugly. slow learner eh?
but the snoe gives luv and abit of ramping and a good pul on the bungie and she was back on trail.
but seriuosly ... tiwce ???

any-hoo ...snow conditions are fab,
huge amounts of precip in last few days,
super high windz everywhere,
suoper high avy danger,
and very few sledders to compact it,
was warm but the cold has arived.
the alpine at quartz is virgin,
prepare to get stuck ... or hit s rock up there, gotta luv dem trees

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the Rogers pass cam. A little fresh. The snow banks are no higher this week than they were last.

It is a very good indication of what fell on that range.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

Cpperhead

Reaction score
Rode Quartz yesterday and had an epic day in mostly sun. Untracked everywhere in about 2 feet of fresh. Prolly some of the best snow Ive seen in Quartz for this time of year.

Matt_1029

Reaction score
Thinking about heading to quartz for a ride tomorrow... Buddies from edmonton backed out last minute so if anyone is looking for a riding partner let me know... Can still sneak away from the wife before she finds out lol Will only ride to groups capabilities so wont be slowing anyone down.

Cheers,

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pulled into golden. Word at the restaraunt is that quartz is tracked out? Any truth? Has anyone been to Gorman lately? Thanx

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at "our own private ski hill"

80cm of base at 2000m and -10 careful of dem creeks eh?

always thin pack at this location.

today I put my sled on features that took til late feb last year,
we sled droped snowboarders into crazy places,
the snow is giving luv,
both drive and avy safety.

I've got big plans for big terrain this season

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm headed out for a day trip tomorrow from Calgary. Because of a busted A-arm my buddy backed out so I'm flying solo. Is anyone else riding tomorrow. I'd be up for quartz or silent.

PM me if you're riding solo or wouldn't mind having a tag along.

Thanks!

Chris

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well just got back from Golden, quartz thursday and was great snow and tracked it up pretty good. Then went to Gorman yesturday and had a blast, but no body went over to the left after the lake, but some did go to the right up and over but was snowed in. Buddy and I spent the afternoon breaking trail up and over waterfall. They do need more snow unless you are ready to go up and over to holt creek. Good luck out there.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quartz has been great and the reason for the mixed reviews is the higher then average traffic. We've had great snow the past few weeks heading into the weekend... and by great I really do mean great. However it is still early in the season and people are hitting rocks in the alpine. Tree line has been really good with deeper then normal amounts of snow for this time of year. We've had close to 300 visitors to Quartz / weekend and that can make for some tough snow searching...
Because of the traffic we have now groomed Silent Pass and Gorman Lake!!

Top Bottom