Golden road improvements/closures.....

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
1636921213610.png

Castle Mountain - E
Hwy 1, at Hwy 93 South junction, looking east. (elevation: 1459 metres)

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Looking good!;
I am sure this weather is gonna significantly add to the detour drive time......from now till the next few days with the storm front.

If not have a closed road all together through the Kootney pass.......

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure this weather is gonna significantly add to the detour drive time......from now till the next few days with the storm front.

If not have a closed road all together through the Kootney pass.......
If it takes me longer to get there no big deal, just as long as the snow is deep when i get there!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our kids are stuck there now someplace.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home……Wowza!
Spent the weekend lounging in the valley with friends. Left Radium at 12 noon, got home about 1/2 hr ago. It was 10 hrs from radium to castle junction.
This is going to be an issue all winter. Too much traffic (and new truckers) for that type of road. The 93 is not the #1…. They should’ve closed it to heavy truck traffic way sooner. 100% of the issues were trucks spinning out and/or sliding to the edge of the road on a curved section of the highway.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home……Wowza!
Spent the weekend lounging in the valley with friends. Left Radium at 12 noon, got home about 1/2 hr ago. It was 10 hrs from radium to castle junction.
This is going to be an issue all winter. Too much traffic (and new truckers) for that type of road. The 93 is not the #1…. They should’ve closed it to heavy truck traffic way sooner. 100% of the issues were trucks spinning out and/or sliding to the edge of the road on a curved section of the highway.
I've said that from the start , when they decided to do it this way

That road is not built for the regular traffic it has now , especially summer

We used to do the radium car show every September, drive from Berta and it was a chit show then , and that was 10 years ago too boot

But add winter and the new Canadian truck drivers to the mix and boom

Last edited:

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on the same journey. Left Radium at 10:30 got to Castle at 9. Absolute gong show. Highway had not been plowed all weekend, we went out Thursday and 10cm on the shoulder then on our way back 30-40 cm and no evidence of any snow spray in the ditch. Driving on 10cm of packed snow that now is being rained on. Barely enough room for 2 vehicles to pass In many places. seen 2 RC’s first think close to Radium directing a tow truck pulling vehicles with summer slicks up a hill. Other than that, no plow trucks, no RC’s for the rest of day, no tow trucks, no park vehicles. Just crawl along, finally get to top of Kootney hill and there is a semi jackknife across the road, just enough room for a pickup truck to get through between the truck and guard rail. Drivers from each side sneaking through when you could from each side with no one directing. Once through solid vehicles from there to castle don‘t know how many vehicles, lots 20km worth, and there would be no reason to not have that many behind us. Was going to be a long night for lots. For no reason other than incompetence from the people responsible for maintaining the highway. Wasn’t snowing or raining that bad. Most people were out playing in the snow when we were stopped... Fun times.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when is highway 1 supposed to open again? December 1st?

Top Bottom