Golden road improvements/closures.....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or drive like everyone that lives in BC…..75km/hr everywhere except the left hand passing lane then you speed up to 140 until the passing lane ends….BC is a great place, just be nice to see all the taxes that everyone pays out there go to some infrastructure outside of Vancouver and the island.
You must be plucking color blind, I travel the BC hiways every day and most of these passing lane racers are out of province plates.
Keep talking ch!t you know nothing about.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trans Canada is federal jurisdiction. Feel free to stay home.
Speaking of piss poor roads the Anthony henday is a great piece of engineering. Traffic lights at both ends of a freeway....
Whitemud is also the only free way I've seen with a merge lane into the passing lane....

Or drive like everyone that lives in BC…..75km/hr everywhere except the left hand passing lane then you speed up to 140 until the passing lane ends….BC is a great place, just be nice to see all the taxes that everyone pays out there go to some infrastructure outside of Vancouver and the island.
you must live in a delusional world.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Speaking of piss poor roads the Anthony henday is a great piece of engineering. Traffic lights at both ends of a freeway....
Whitemud is also the only free way I've seen with a merge lane into the passing lane....
READ THE TITLE.

Start a new thread ...Pretty simple

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Probably totally unbelievable to you, but places in the world have roads wider than two lanes.
Maybe you cant read a title....
Some people go out of their way to have an informative thread.....

Not trying to be a dick, but please lets try to keep it on track......

I am sure people will appreciate the thread and use it for information on access to their driving destinations coming from and going thru the area,

Thanks folks//////

Last edited:

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much more time does the detour really add? Seems like I only add on a extra 15mins total when the roads are good of course.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Thanks for the valuable input....It is interesting where the money comes from for these projects......

Little tidbit of information.

Today, most highway and road construction is a provincial responsibility. Provinces decide on the design, construction, safety standards and financing of highways under their jurisdiction. The Government of Canada, however, is solely responsible for the maintenance and repair of the Trans-Canada Highway inside national parks

Transport Canada recognizes the value of these routes to our nation's economy and is helping the provinces finance the upgrades needed in this age of increasing traffic volumes.

For further referance see below:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
How much more time does the detour really add? Seems like I only add on a extra 15mins total when the roads are good of course.
I think that is a very valuable question. Thank you!

When I was younger,,,,It would have added way to much time and would race my ass/vehicle to get to Revy....

Now, I just follow along, dont panic, enjoy the drive and arrive safe and sound....LOL...

My Revy roomate drives it every few weeks and has 1hr 15 minutes to up to 2 hours....

Lots of factors of course.....

I posted the calendar earlier in the thread and hopefully it remains on track for the december period....

Anybody driven the road lately could chime in with their trave times.

Thanks.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the valuable input....It is interesting where the money comes from for these projects......

Little tidbit of information.

Today, most highway and road construction is a provincial responsibility. Provinces decide on the design, construction, safety standards and financing of highways under their jurisdiction. The Government of Canada, however, is solely responsible for the maintenance and repair of the Trans-Canada Highway inside national parks

Transport Canada recognizes the value of these routes to our nation's economy and is helping the provinces finance the upgrades needed in this age of increasing traffic volumes.

For further referance see below:
I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was the hiway in 1962 The big Bend, only open in summer took 5-6 hrs, most of it is under water now from the dams
ED0F01F6-C552-4694-8017-B5B5F3220D55.png

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
This was the hiway in 1962 The big Bend, only open in summer took 5-6 hrs, most of it is under water now from the dams
View attachment 247398
Very cool information.
Goes to show the advancements for the roads

The kicking horse project is very real to us, but will just another road to our future man/women kind....

We are seeing it first hand.
They will be researching and goggling..Just saying.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
...........They will be researching and goggling..Just saying.
I don't know if this is valuable information Richard but..................

what is "goggling"?? Is that doing research while wearing goggles? The teacher in me just had too!!

Keep up the good work as this is mostly on topic which is rare these days. If you could harness some of the misfits (myself included), it might be easier to keep this between the rails.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have driven it three times in the last month. I have been driving Sicamous to Calgary and return weekly the past five years so I know the times pretty good. Good weather took 1.5 hrs extra. Last week with sleet, traffic and clean up from a head on between professional drivers it took an extra 2 hours.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

what is "goggling"?? Is that doing research while wearing goggles? The teacher in me just had too!!

Keep up the good work as this is mostly on topic which is rare these days. If you could harness some of the misfits (myself included), it might be easier to keep this between the rails.
Oh my. OOPS!!!!!!!
After my medical episode, I consider most days spelling 50 % correct pretty good....
Actually, 'GOGGLING' is a little slang from the wife,,, Must of heard it to much...LOL.

Now Teach... Back on topic......LOL..Bwhaaaaa.

Thanks for pointing it out..........

Did you folks travel East this summer on the alternate or thru the Kicking Horse Pass?

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh my. OOPS!!!!!!!
After my medical episode, I consider most days spelling 50 % correct pretty good....
Actually, 'GOGGLING' is a little slang from the wife,,, Must of heard it to much...LOL.

Now Teach... Back on topic......LOL..Bwhaaaaa.

Thanks for pointing it out..........

Did you folks travel East this summer on the alternate or thru the Kicking Horse Pass?
They kinda had a schedule like dec 01

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Didn't go further east than Sicamous.............had a couple jobs over there.
Didn't go further south than Vernon.....................that was to buy material.
Going west we made it to Kamloops.....................and that was a couple Costco runs and some tool research.
We were very busy working and the highways we travelled were in good shape and not too crowded other than that busy piece south of Salmon Arm to Armstrong.
Going to travel more this winter but we won't get past Revy. So we won't see the amazing construction to the east.
Those engineers are amazing and lets not forget about the construction workers. I couldn't get up on those platforms and walk around. If I got there, all I would want to do would be to lay down.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

I have driven it three times in the last month. I have been driving Sicamous to Calgary and return weekly the past five years so I know the times pretty good. Good weather took 1.5 hrs extra. Last week with sleet, traffic and clean up from a head on between professional drivers it took an extra 2 hours.
Thanks for real time information...
The wife and I have taken the Radium route in summer just to break things up and enjoy the differnt scenery,,,,,
Couple times even stopped at hot springs then carried on to Golden/Revy..........

Your travelling a lot. Look forward to your continued updates on the thread if possible when u can......

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Some one posted a video earlier this year starting from the top of Ten Mile hill to Golden.
What amazed me was the time stamp was just over 15 minutes...
Folks....15 Minutes...
I usually always coast along due to this area being one of my favorite places for views....
On the side of a mountain looking up or down...

If anyone knows the link or could post the drive it would be great.....

Better if some passenger could post a current vide when they allow us to drive it..

Top Bottom