Golden and area Conditions 2015/16

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't ride Quartz then... There is probably 300 sleds on any given weekend in there..

Never ride it on a weekend but a Friday day trip works pretty well. Ride other areas that aren't populated on the weekends. Just a piss off paying for absolutely nothing. Been riding Golden for 20 years and it seems to have changed for the worse in the last couple years.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get used to it... more people joining the sport every year, trail fees going up, more regulation to huddle sledders into specific areas... it is the future of the motorized sport. golden has changed a lot...

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The road into Hope is breaking up and really rough and rutted. I wouldn't recommend any trailers go there for now.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent was brutal. Worst trail ever. Groomer broke and they were still charging, I don't understand why I pay $25 for a trail pass. Road is getting greasy. Conditions were OK. Bumper deep. Mega warm temps on Saturday, fluff in the morning, coastal snow in the afternoon.

gorman on Sunday was better, but we chewed up a lot of powder.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome weekend out in gorman. Spent sat and sun there smashing pow. Sunday some guys were caught in a slide just before noon climbing where they should not have been. 2 people on the hill at the same time. One guy got carried to the bottom with his sled that was almost fully covered, the other was barried up high. Luckliy some guy on a turbo yammy flew up there and got him out. To make things worse didn't see any packs on these guys. When we came up they didn't even seem in distress. Took a while for me to get any answers out of them to figure out they were still missing there buddy. This was Just before the first climb up to the lake. Exactly what avalanche Canada had warned about. Sun was out on a wind loaded slope.

Check avy reports, wear the gear and use your fawkin heads people!!!! One of the guys I was with got a pic. I'll try to get it up. All in all glad everyone made out ok. And hopefully these people learned a valuable lesson.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imagejpeg_4.jpg

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think whats most interesting about that area where the pictures were from is that it is the first thing to get hit by sleds almost everyday. I ride there quite often and 9/10 times there is a group sitting at the bottom hammering away at that slope. usually somebody will make it up that high and turn around and I am constantly surprised it doesn't go. This particular day saw a bunch of loading and new snow from wind the night before and was being blasted by sun. It is a SE slope.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like it. Didn't see it go down but pulled up right afterwards. Sure seemed to scare the hell out a him. He definitely seemed in shock. Glad everyone made out ok. I was right in there trying to help, but at the same time I hope to never be involved in any kind of recovery. Did you find this on you tube?

Top Bottom