Going back to stock

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, after 3 blown belts in 3 months, I'm taking off my Highlifter clutch kit, that low end snap was nice but I miss the odd high speed run (went from 105 down to a top of 80kmph)
Called Highlifter today about it but got no help, all they could say was it must be installed wrong (its not) and they will not refund or give me an exchange after only having the kit for 3 months.

So, IMHO, unless you plan on running a 29"+ tire, don't go with the clutch kit, get a chip and pipe instead.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to here that you are having problems.I have ran both my 650I snorkeled and have never blown a belt yet.One has 27" swamp foxes and 1000km and the other has 26" mudlites and 850KM.Neither one has a clutch kit.:beer:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I never had a belt problem till I got the clutch kit either.
I got the kit originally for pulling wheelies with maybe a bigger set of rubber down the road, I didn't really get the wheelie monster I was hopping for and as for larger wheels, I'd probably not go over 27" anyway as I ride alot of hills (side hills) and low range should cover them with no problem.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want a clutch kit that works try a dalton i average about 8to 900km per belt and thats driving the crap out of the qaud i run 27 mud lites

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another way to do it is just change your primary spring. It will give more belt grab and a slight bit of stall depending on which spring. It would give way better low end and wheelies and should not change your top end . The springs are only about $30-$40 each and supposedly easy to install. Clutch kits are great but only if you have large heavy tires and don't go fast as you found out. If your not sure which spring to use check out Kawiecentral for good advise on which to try.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4byrookie is right, you will get just as much out of changing the primary spring and alot less money. In most cases you get good bottem end snap without loosing top end. I usually use the Erlandson burgundy spring {part #drs22}. I've install LOTS of them and not had one customer that wasn't happy with it. I run it in my KFX 700 big bore, {in my avatar} I've put them in the Cat 650's as well. Dan

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, she's all back to the stock clutch kit, had it done in the shop so everything lines up right, its nice to have my top end speed back for the odd back road, not that the 80km top speed wasn't enough but at least my engine isn't at almost red line while doing it.

as for the wheelies, I must have gotten better at doing them cause I can still hit them at around 10kmph and hold them as long as the trail keeps straight.

Top Bottom