god damn insurance companies!!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happened to us last year....renewal shows up and its 1000 bucks higher on the house. So I call my agent, tell her to sharpen her pencil and remind her we have a 25 year relationship. After not hearing back in 2 weeks, I shopped around. Made it easy for the agents I talked to as I brought copies of all my other papers for the last place and told them that I will not settle for less coverage, I want to pay less money. PERIOD. Got a couple of them coming back with roughly the exact same numbers or slightly lower, but of course you look at the details and they've bumped up the deductibles and lower the liability amounts, etc. Got a quote from one agent who was able to put all 5 vehicles and the house on the same insurance company. Got a 500/yr discount on the vehicles as multi-vehicle discount and house insurance was 1500 less then my previous place. And yes, I spent the time going over the coverages...they are EXACTLY the same. I went from 600+- a month for house, RV, truck, beater truck and quad to 450+- a month for all that PLUS the wife's Murano. All have full coverage (collision), 250 ded, and 2 mil liability (even the quad). All I can say is that I am going to go shopping every 3 years or so from now on.

Also: Wawanesa is pretty much the most expensive out there....

Lots of effort and time involved in going through insurance pricing especially when you do not want to give up coverage. It is time away from riding your toy or researching the next one to buy and that sucks. Looks like you did it right though.

I know that I could not deal with the hit of losing an uninsured house so that $3,000 for the house looks pretty reasonable to me and it is paid for. I am located in the country just under 10 miles from a volunteer fire department so basically the fire department will probably show up to save the neighbor's house while mine burns.

All of the insurers have their issues with price, service and claims. At this point they are all extra competitive for new business and renewals get run through a computer which is programed to put rates back to where they want them. No solution in sight for now and brokers try to manually review each policy as it comes in and fall behind. The cheapest insurer last year suddenly becomes middle of the pack or the most expensive this year. The next year they might be cheapest again depending on where you live/what you own etc.

Certainly not a great time in an industry that has never been liked. Not quite the NDP though but seem determined to head that direction

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooperators a few years ago, was the cheapest for toys ( bikes, quads, sleds) and house insurance, then we added out toyhauler as a house rider and for full coverage and replacement was super cheap

Reaction score
Cooperators a few years ago, was the cheapest for toys ( bikes, quads, sleds) and house insurance, then we added out toyhauler as a house rider and for full coverage and replacement was super cheap

Ever have to make a claim though? I have cooperators, and if it wasn't such a PITA to swap everything, I'd drop them in a heart-beat. I've had to make two claims, once my wife wrote-off my Jeep and another time we had two sleds and a trailer stolen, and in each case Cooperators were despicable to deal with. I lost huge amounts in both cases, despite being fully covered. Might "get what you pay for" with Cooperators. (only my experience)

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happened to us last year....renewal shows up and its 1000 bucks higher on the house. So I call my agent, tell her to sharpen her pencil and remind her we have a 25 year relationship. After not hearing back in 2 weeks, I shopped around. Made it easy for the agents I talked to as I brought copies of all my other papers for the last place and told them that I will not settle for less coverage, I want to pay less money. PERIOD. Got a couple of them coming back with roughly the exact same numbers or slightly lower, but of course you look at the details and they've bumped up the deductibles and lower the liability amounts, etc. Got a quote from one agent who was able to put all 5 vehicles and the house on the same insurance company. Got a 500/yr discount on the vehicles as multi-vehicle discount and house insurance was 1500 less then my previous place. And yes, I spent the time going over the coverages...they are EXACTLY the same. I went from 600+- a month for house, RV, truck, beater truck and quad to 450+- a month for all that PLUS the wife's Murano. All have full coverage (collision), 250 ded, and 2 mil liability (even the quad). All I can say is that I am going to go shopping every 3 years or so from now on.

Also: Wawanesa is pretty much the most expensive out there....

can i ask who you are through now?, i am gonna start making some calls for other quotes

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can i ask who you are through now?, i am gonna start making some calls for other quotes
I will PM you. If I say who my old broker was and who my new broker is, we will have 17 people of either side saying they have the opposite experience. LOL.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever have to make a claim though? I have cooperators, and if it wasn't such a PITA to swap everything, I'd drop them in a heart-beat. I've had to make two claims, once my wife wrote-off my Jeep and another time we had two sleds and a trailer stolen, and in each case Cooperators were despicable to deal with. I lost huge amounts in both cases, despite being fully covered. Might "get what you pay for" with Cooperators. (only my experience)
Yes I have on a stolen sled

Way way better than icbc that I have no choice to deal with now

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my father in law cancelled his home insurance as it went to 4500 bucks per year. He went and bought a large 5000 gallon tank hooked it up on a float from the creek water and good to go in case of a fire at his home or sawmill.

Reactions: RGM
Top Bottom