god damn insurance companies!!

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got the renewal for our house insurance, was paying $2200 a year, renewal has an increase of $1500!!!!! for a new yearly price of $3700. un fcuking real, i am almost to the point of dropping all my insurance, between everything i pay almost $1000 a month for insurance, seriously...$12 000/year for insurance and have never had a single claim on anything. we are with aviva (aon) by the way, anyone else seeing this kind of increase??

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep same here . Said it was due to the flooding in southern Alberta. Yeh right !

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My house insurance on a 60 acre farm more than doubled in the last few years to almost 7000.00. Can no longer afford it. Going to put the money into investments and adding more safety stuff. I talked to some of the neighbors and same thing they can no longer afford it.

Reaction score
They're as crooked as they come............. I totally understand people making fraudulent claims these days, it's the only way insurance makes sense.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's insane. My replacement value is ~$425k and it's just under $1200/year.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acreage verse town prices have a big spread from what I have seen and been told.
I am on a acreage so pricey.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You do have to shop around. If you are more than 5 miles from the responding firehall , that is extra. If that firehall is manned by volunteers, that is extra. Both of these things make sense to me but I do not live in a flood plain and that is BS.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, this year will be the last for house insurance. After I retire I won't be able to afford it.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone needs to shop around every one to two years. Amazing how different it can be from different brokers. I've even challenged my broker when I can find better rates an she usually pulls out her "more accurate calculation program". Unreal!

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That happened to use a couple of years ago. Went shopping and was able to reduce our house insurance bill by $ 1,000.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes to shopping around. Most times you have to move brokers every two years in order to receive better rates.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do a ton of restoration work. The claim denial rates in the last few years or so is insane. Even if your fully insured your probably not covered for most claims. I'm going to drop insurance to the lowest values on everything I own. It's not worth it to pay extra and get nothing back when you need it.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes to shopping around. Most times you have to move brokers every two years in order to receive better rates.

i can understand shopping around to make sure you aren't getting screwed but what about customer loyalty??? Your current company should be rewarding you for long standing business, I am so pissed right now, honestly... 40% price increase!!! I don't give a **** what happened in Calgary or the other side of the world for claims, they set the rates for those guys and if they lost money that is too fcuking bad for them, next time do your homework and don't give a generic quote

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can understand shopping around to make sure you aren't getting screwed but what about customer loyalty??? Your current company should be rewarding you for long standing business, I am so pissed right now, honestly... 40% price increase!!! I don't give a **** what happened in Calgary or the other side of the world for claims, they set the rates for those guys and if they lost money that is too fcuking bad for them, next time do your homework and don't give a generic quote

I learned years ago when it comes to customer loyalty and broker ? Not happening .

SwampRatt

Reaction score
Ours jumped to pretty much the same rates as first mentioned this year too. When we bought the place we knew rates were slightly higher for a log home (checked it out first), but when I called about this years increase they told me it was due to hail claims in our area the year before. I questioned how hail is gonna damage a log home with a tin roof? Her answer, "It won't". I may as well of been talking to the wall, they're all crooks

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I got my first increase of about 1000 bucks they didn't even bother phoning to explain, just send out an invoice. The last increase was the final straw and I told them before my policy had expired I wasn't renewing. They keep on insisting I sign one of their forms, whatever. So after getting tired of their phone calls and email I sent the form in and now they tell me I owe them for two months of insurance. I bet you can guess where I told them to go.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not going to make me sleep well tonight. I'm scared...insurance comes due in August and now I'm going to go asked before I freak out when the bill comes.
thanks

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happened to us last year....renewal shows up and its 1000 bucks higher on the house. So I call my agent, tell her to sharpen her pencil and remind her we have a 25 year relationship. After not hearing back in 2 weeks, I shopped around. Made it easy for the agents I talked to as I brought copies of all my other papers for the last place and told them that I will not settle for less coverage, I want to pay less money. PERIOD. Got a couple of them coming back with roughly the exact same numbers or slightly lower, but of course you look at the details and they've bumped up the deductibles and lower the liability amounts, etc. Got a quote from one agent who was able to put all 5 vehicles and the house on the same insurance company. Got a 500/yr discount on the vehicles as multi-vehicle discount and house insurance was 1500 less then my previous place. And yes, I spent the time going over the coverages...they are EXACTLY the same. I went from 600+- a month for house, RV, truck, beater truck and quad to 450+- a month for all that PLUS the wife's Murano. All have full coverage (collision), 250 ded, and 2 mil liability (even the quad). All I can say is that I am going to go shopping every 3 years or so from now on.

Also: Wawanesa is pretty much the most expensive out there....

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I learned years ago when it comes to customer loyalty and broker ? Not happening .

I used to support a family friend that sold SMI. Was with him for 3 or 4 years his rates kept going up and up and up. For two houses, a tractor, a bobcat, two package policies on the work cars and insurance on two dirt bikes. Was over 6g I asked him why the prices have been going up, I make no claims he said its in their calculations. He looked into other products he sold and said that's the cheapest he could do but to call co-op and see what they could offer. Well I got better insurance only lowered the value a little on the dirt bikes and my premiums are $3500. Saved over $2500 that's a lot of sled fuel..... Totally agree customer loyalty is not a thing. They don't look at u as a person just a formula.

Top Bottom