Gloves for Mountain Riding

Hydro

Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me that some rad gear company hasn't yet figured out the secret sauce to epic gloves. I've tried quite a few different brands and types including Klim, Skidoo, Motorfist, Fox, Mechanic, and Generic Can-tire.

Right now I use two different sets of gloves; 1 set for the ride up, and 1 set when I'm in the riding zone.

For the ride up, my favorite are the Motorfist WOT (correction from Valks - I looked at them last night). I use them for a little bit of riding in the zone but normally put them away and change out to my Fox summer weight MX gloves, unless it's super cold out, then I leave the MF WOT on. I deal with cold and wet hands for most of the day, as I like the bar feel of thinner gloves. The only downside is that the Fox MX gloves don't last very long, and at $90 a set they are quickly becoming cost prohibitive. Same goes for the Mechanic gloves, and the light weight Skidoo gloves, which are perhaps the worst I've ever used.

I've heard good things about Tobe, but haven't tried them.

What do you think are the best gloves for mountain riding and why?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I destroy gloves. New set usually lasts 1/2 to 3/4 of a season before they are trashed sponges. I bought a pair of Klim togwotee's this season and pulled the liners out and have been super happy with them, might even make it to next season. Just ordered a pair of Klim Inversions to try as I wanted some better bar feel and grip. Bit concerned if they'll be warm enough though.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Like you, I have spent hundreds upon hundreds on gloves. They all get wet. I now watch the bargain bins and any thinsulate gloves $14 or less and they fit my hand well, I buy them. I take 3 pairs up with me. It's not warm that I need, but more so dry.
My fave tho is rubberish gloves from cabelas. I think they are dry suit diving over the wrist length gloves but I'm not sure what their purpose is. On the deep pow days they are great.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been using the Polaris "advocate II" gloves for the past 2 seasons and am more than happy with them.

I wear them all day, seldom did they get wet (until I ripped a seam on a finger). I actually just bought a second pair to have with me, and will likely buy more of them if they keep making them.

Black Advocate II Gloves - Black/Yellow | Polaris Snowmobiles EN-CA

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear regular skiing gloves that cover your wrists for the ride in, then when the real riding starts I switch to a pair of BDG's -Bob Dale Gloves-, I believe the insulated ones. If it is warmer out I wear a set of thin skidoo spring riding gloves.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Klim Fusion glove right now. So far (10 riding days) they are standing up great. Good grip, warm, and dry. They have a 'warm' and 'grip' side. I'll prob pick up 2 more pairs if I can find them in black again. I would highly recommend them. Like all Klim gloves, buy the tightest/smallest glove you can get your hand in cause they will stretch out a bit, but they haven't stretched out nearly as much as my togwotees have in the past.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have different issues with gloves. I don't produce much in the way of hand heat so I rely on gloves and bar warmers to keep my hands warm, unless I'm riding hard and it is warmer than -10C. But as soon as I stop riding hard my hands will get cold again.

The main problem I have is the palm side of the outer glove gets damp and then freezes at some point in the day, which makes the gloves stiff and slippery on the bars. I never get the inside of the glove wet.

If it is below about -14C I'll bring a set of big, thick gloves or mitts for the trail up and down.

For riding gloves I have 2-3 pairs with me. I usually ice up one pair by early afternoon and then switch to the second pair. My favorite has been the Motorfist 2014 WOT glove. Great feel on the bars while still having good insulation and fitting me perfectly. However after using this pair as my primary for 2 years the insulation is packed thin and I'm worried they are going to fall apart at any minute.

I have two pairs of Klim Powercross gloves. These are very nice in fit, though I have two pairs that I think are a year apart and they fit slightly differently. They have a bit more insulation than the WOT so I lose a bit of feel and grip on the bars.

There was a 50% off sale locally last month so I bought a pair of SkiDoo Outdry Backcountry. These seem similar to the WOT in style and insulation, however the fit is way off. After years of reliably fitting a size Large glove, in the Outdry I had to go to a Small for the same fit. If I had bought these online in my normal size I would be very unhappy.

Another trick I've been trying this year to get more hours out of a glove before it ices up is to switch to dedicated shoveling / stuck pair whenever I have to get my hands in the snow, and keeping the bar warmers off when I'm riding in the hills.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread.. Very important part of aggressive tech riding in steep and deep is grasping your bars, can't even imagine how many times you regroup and regrip on a single line.. Slipping off or holding a bar harder than needs be because of thicker gloves just kills ones ability quicker than anything..

i ussally pac a few sets of gloves, love my tobe gloves, not cheap but they are very warm and fairly thin, if I remember they state they can only build three pairs out of a cow hide because of the quality of hide they need..

once in the trees, first thing is to swap if warm enough to to a mechanics glove of some sort, something with a grip on the inside, and only just past the wrist, smooth ones seam to work not as well, and slipping occurs quicker.. They always get wet when digging in snow but do dry fairly quickly with bar heaters on over course of day, if not really cold out..

i have used even bare hands some times with success, but cool off quicky, and cause blisters over time

if I can get away with it on -10 and warmer I will use a thin mechanics glove all day, try in fpdry out when nessicary or swap over to another pair latter on..

pac another bigger heavy gloves just in case or to hold liquids.. The feel of bars is a very critical for good lines I feel

great post

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
big skidoo ones on the way up and down, taking buddies roost in a moto glove to knuckle sure dont feel to good
fxr mountain gloves on the hill fit like a moto x glove but on cold days they dont cut it

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
All of the gloves are a bust. Some are better than others but they all suck in my riding style. I don't care what I am wearing they are chit. Any of the gloves with polyester lining stick to wet hands (Klim, Motorfirst, True North Adventure, and I could go on and on) and you struggle with the lining all day. I presently use a glove that has a wool lining (the company was bought out by backcountry.com) and they are great for warmth and using them wet as the fingers go in and out effortlessly. You know what happens when you take off wet gloves? They freeze and then they go in the pack for a dry pair. I use thin enough gloves to be able to have good feel of the bars (IMO). A good pair of gloves shouldn't get wet and they should keep you warm. Pulling out stuck sleds, rolling over stuck sleds, and ski tugs are all destined to get gloves wet and then it is time for a new dry pair.

On the days below -15, it is tough as the thin ones don't cut the trail. A pair of thick cheapo gloves work well. Take them off at the end of the trail. I know guys who have the ugliest gloves (Mark's, Peavy Mart, CT, whatever) for the ride up but hey, they have warm hands. The riding gloves are a different kettle of fish and their are many that serve the purpose. Much easier to find riding gloves than trail gloves.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a set of TOBE gloves and u won't
evan think about the spare set u have in ur avy bag

im on year two of mine and there still working
great
and with them on ,ur thumb feels like there's nothing on
so = maximum braaaaaap

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeff, check out Hestra Ski gloves. The Czone mountain or their mountaineering gloves are good too. Chris and I both wear them, they are better than any "sled" gloves I have found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been a big hater on klim gloves until this year, bought the new klim powercross glove and its been a great glove so far, in the past have tried klim, motorfist, tobe and a few brands of snowboard gloves, tobe and motorfist make a nice thin ish set of gloves and they have been my favs until this year, will be buying another set of powercross gloves

Hydro

Reaction score
Jeff, check out Hestra Ski gloves. The Czone mountain or their mountaineering gloves are good too. Chris and I both wear them, they are better than any "sled" gloves I have found.

Hey Trev, where did you guys buy those at? Just online?

css

Reaction score
i been using the true north adventure gear gloves. so far there are the best for staying dry. they are thin so not the warmest but i keep a pair off mitts for the ride down. they are worth a try and i would recomend them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Summitraxx

Reaction score
Ive been using the Arc gloves made by Black Diamond from MEC . 90 $ for the pair, I used those for 3 years now, highly impress !!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
i been using the true north adventure gear gloves. so far there are the best for staying dry. they are thin so not the warmest but i keep a pair off mitts for the ride down. they are worth a try and i would recomend them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

True Adventure Gear are no longer making their products :(

Top Bottom