Glasses and Bugs

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An other vote for the full face..... the ones we use on on crusier's have face shields and even come with built in sunshield as well.....

Having seen what’s left of people’s faces after a crash in non full face helmets,from my days in motocross from before full-face helmets were readily available,I won’t ride with anything but...

And yes we wear full leather gear with padding, adaptedthe same attitude when racing, wear the gear or stay at home.

We choose to ride because we like to, am not in a fashionshow and don’t care what others think I look like.....have never yet fallen orcame off the street bike( MX Bike different answer) but I got to watch my sonwho was at the time a pro MX rider, dodge three deer that came at him, he woundup laying the bike over on a paved road at 75 km/hr and came a away with acouple of bruises, the gear did the rest, this included a scratch on the sideof the helmet by his chin from the deer that tried to jump over him.... hisjacket and pants were scratched up. Tossed yet another helmet in the garbage,but his head’s just fine....

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here os where I am for now.
WileyX and Oakley are the two big players in the prescription safety and riding glasses. For my prescription with the light sensitive lenses (plus UV) are
$450 for WileyX
$550 for Oakley
Once Im off my prescription eye drops (from the bug attacking me) I will be ordering the Black (sorry Im not cool enough for white) WileyX with the foam backers to keep the bugs out.

°°° I am distacted driver °°°

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still like these removable, replacable lens light and dark lens, night lens, comes with strap and arms, strap nice on windy days..

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=1]elevation ClimaCool model a136[/h]

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Harley glasses from gasoline alley hd in red deer. They have the foam insert that is removable and can also accommodate prescription lenses. The glasses were reasonable price, it just dependeds on your prescription. I even wear them sledding. I had the progression lenses installed (auto tint).

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't understand why no one has come up with the easiest and cheapiest solution

Just close yer eyes bunnyman, no bugs, no dust, no money. although you may need a white cane when the blue and reds show up.

just tryin to help!

luckybull

Reaction score
What I use is a Rx perscription insert, Part # UVXS3350 with a UVEX safety glass, either UVEX Genisis or UVEX Genisis XC which come in several different shades, all are available at Greggs Distributors, or Aklands. with the inserts you get you Rx installed and then install them behind the safty glasses lens. I use them for work and snowmobiling also, as I said they come in different shades and you can also replace the lenses without having to buy a new frame. One problem though I find that having the insert curve to the safety lens things for me appear a tad smaller, I'm a mechanic and find that bolt heads appear 1 size smaller.
Hope this works out, I also wear a progressive lens, and if you do decide to go this way you will need a clear safty lens to go to the optical dispencer so they can mark where your center of your eye line is.

luckybull

Reaction score
check out , acklandsgrainger.com Search UVXS3201S, UVXS6901x, UVXS3350, or search Genesis, Also note that acklands will honour discounts if you work for someone that has an account, but they will also deal in over the counter sales. You will find that the quality of safety lens is very good and all will cost under 70.00 + the cost of your perscription, the insert (under 40.00) lasts quite a long time as I have replaced the Rx lenses in the insert several times and I wear them daily for work as safety glasses and sun glasses for play.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUNNY HAVE I GOT THE ANSWER FOR YOU!!!! Im in the same boat as you i found one of these it works GREAT
They come in a tint that works pretty good until its totally sun down not to dark but keep the sun out of your eyes the visor folds right up into the helmet shell its easy to put up and down while your riding with gloves and comes down in 2 positions the half and full fighter pilot look i would never run another 1/2 helmet with out this set up again ......If you want one bad come out for a cruse one sat to veg Jeff @ outlaw carries them for 119$ (i think they only have xl right now...there a hot seller. Thats my answer buddy its defiantly worth a look you will love it once you ride with it! Best idea yet keep the glasses on and use the fold down visor save yourself some coin in the long run.

Last edited:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I wear progressive lens glasses. Have tired contacts many time with little luck...so here is the problem.
I have a windshield on my bike but the little bugger bugs (not rabbits) get around it, past my glasses and in my eyes from time to time. Last night I took a bug in the eye and am nearly blind this morning.
I wear a 3/4 helmet and have a pair of goggles but don't like to wear them, as my wife says, I look like I should have a side car attached to my bike then...lol...
Prescription biker sunglasses are very expensive (remember - transition lenses) but may be the only solution.

Looking for suggestions on how to beat this problem.

You could try the safety glasses inserts.......I use em its like a pair of glasses with no arms that slide right into a pair of safety uvex glases.......and you can wear clear lenses and the transitions still turn color........I like em.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUNNY HAVE I GOT THE ANSWER FOR YOU!!!! Im in the same boat as you i found one of these it works GREAT
They come in a tint that works pretty good until its totally sun down not to dark but keep the sun out of your eyes the visor folds right up into the helmet shell its easy to put up and down while your riding with gloves and comes down in 2 positions the half and full fighter pilot look i would never run another 1/2 helmet with out this set up again ......If you want one bad come out for a cruse one sat to veg Jeff @ outlaw carries them for 119$ (i think they only have xl right now...there a hot seller. Thats my answer buddy its defiantly worth a look you will love it once you ride with it! Best idea yet keep the glasses on and use the fold down visor save yourself some coin in the long run.

Have this setup in a full face and it works great. As you have said easy operation with gloves on.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I bought "Wiley X" prescription safety glasses with the foam inserts last year. They have the Transition lens which reduce the need for bright day and dull day glasses.
This may be the single best investment I've mane for Biking. I had taken bugs in the eye a few times, they would somehow get past my glasses, but since buying these I haven't had a single problem. A bonus is I've worn them many times as intended as well....for safety....when working with power tools.
So I give a big thumbs up for the "Wiley X" transition safety glasses for riding.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought "Wiley X" prescription safety glasses with the foam inserts last year. They have the Transition lens which reduce the need for bright day and dull day glasses.
This may be the single best investment I've mane for Biking. I had taken bugs in the eye a few times, they would somehow get past my glasses, but since buying these I haven't had a single problem. A bonus is I've worn them many times as intended as well....for safety....when working with power tools.
So I give a big thumbs up for the "Wiley X" transition safety glasses for riding.
my buddy works for weyerhauser and they supply them with wiley x safety glasses, he gave me a couple pairs a few years back and they are great. I think I have 4 pairs now, transition lenses in a couple along with a clear pair and tinted. I use 'em in the side by side and for work, they are pretty comfortable.

went for a little burn with my buddy in his rzr last summer, I got a sploosh of Red Earth slough muck right in my eye. I don't know what was in that crap, but it made my eye swell up and I had blurred vision for 2 days. sure wished I was wearing my wileys that day.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so being the funny guy he is, when he poured footings for his deck the next day he creates a little permanent tribute to the event. he's blind in his left eye, and I was temporarily blinded in my right....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

where did you end up buying the Wiley X from Curtis? sounds like something I should look into for ATV riding.

Top Bottom