Getting tired of fixing my 5.3 GM

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I realize a bit off topic, but I've been snooping around for an SUV type vehicle to take down south and leave it there, but I'm looking used. Driven quite a few and so far my favourite I think is the Ford Edge, very nice to drive, very comfortable and very well appointed. Second favourite , so far is the Murano, but quite a bit higher asking price for similar age and Kms, but the Edge has more less equipped models, Murano is generally more loaded up. Drove a Nissan Xterra also, ok but seemed more basic. Not a lot of experience with SUV's so any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, my wife loved her pre 2016 Mazda CX9. Second vehicle we ever had that went over 300 K with only doing the brakes (at about 170K).
Mazda and Ford were cooperating for quite a while back then so I imagine an Edge would be pretty close.

=LennyR;2394395]I realize a bit off topic, but I've been snooping around for an SUV type vehicle to take down south and leave it there, but I'm looking used. Driven quite a few and so far my favourite I think is the Ford Edge, very nice to drive, very comfortable and very well appointed. Second favourite , so far is the Murano, but quite a bit higher asking price for similar age and Kms, but the Edge has more less equipped models, Murano is generally more loaded up. Drove a Nissan Xterra also, ok but seemed more basic. Not a lot of experience with SUV's so any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newer 5.3 must suck. I just did the 260K service on the wifes Yukon and it was pretty extensive;
1) Put on summer tires
2) Fix up some rust since it sees 14k of gravel anytime it goes to town.
3) New fluid in transfer case since I like to keep the autotrac fluid fresh.
4) Inner and outer tie rod, outer just because it's dirty and don't want it to touch the shiny new inner.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newer 5.3 must suck. I just did the 260K service on the wifes Yukon and it was pretty extensive;
1) Put on summer tires
2) Fix up some rust since it sees 14k of gravel anytime it goes to town.
3) New fluid in transfer case since I like to keep the autotrac fluid fresh.
4) Inner and outer tie rod, outer just because it's dirty and don't want it to touch the shiny new inner.

My 06 was great. The '10, well not so much. 50/50 wasn't good enough for GM to get my $$ again. Fingers crossed the new one has the old Titan's reliability....the looks and feel of this one is great.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife has a 13 , 5.3 with 95000 ish kms on it , definetly driven like a girl. Its been absolutely trouble free, 0 issues, great mileage, (touch wood). She's starting to snoop around now ,5 years seems to be her norm , not sure whats gonna catch her eye , but i hope her next one is as good as this one was. But to be fair , not sure how this woulda been had she pulled or hauled anything regularly , i've only driven it a couple times pulling my boat and you certainly knew it was back there , so a constant workout may have had different results . But i also assume if you were gonna work it hard , this engine wouldn't be a logical choice . Its been a great truck for her though.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So put the Nissan Pathfinder on order. Dealer didn't have the right combination of exterior colour (Caspian blue) with the charcoal leather interior. It is an SL so is nicely equipped but without the sunroofs. Pretty glad to have finding a new car for my wife behind me

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would take your truck in a heart beat..i had over 400,000 on my last 3 GMS. engine lights, who cares.fix em. since falling off garage and getting all busted up and not working almost 2 yrs now,i sold the GMs and drive a $100 Rusty Nissan..no one wants to hire a 63 yr old licenced mechanic that cant stand for more than half hr at a time. so i fix others stuff in my new garage i fell off of....lol

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at that...saved some more $$...GM bed mat fits like it was made for it. (Although this mat has never seen the acceleration or speed it has seen lately)

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So put the Nissan Pathfinder on order. Dealer didn't have the right combination of exterior colour (Caspian blue) with the charcoal leather interior. It is an SL so is nicely equipped but without the sunroofs. Pretty glad to have finding a new car for my wife behind me

Went fer a spin in a new Ditchfinder last week....honestly, for a full frame rig, it rode near as nice as the Murano. I like it!

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at that...saved some more $$...GM bed mat fits like it was made for it. (Although this mat has never seen the acceleration or speed it has seen lately)
How is the fuel mileage on that truck?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the fuel mileage on that truck?
At under 1000km, it is about the same as my GM 5.3...about 18 MPG combined. I suspect/hope it will get better...but if not I'm fine as this rig has a MUCH higher fun factor so far.

Last edited:

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For some reason gm can't make a sensor last. My wife's 07 Yukon has been thru 2 alternators, a starter, 2 sets of tpms, throttle position sensor, brake switch, a park sensor, 02 sensors, a bcm
and about 36 headlight bulbs in 200000k. My last dodge had 330000 and the only thing it ever needed was an 02 sens and an egr valve. She will get a dodge next like it or not.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For some reason gm can't make a sensor last. My wife's 07 Yukon has been thru 2 alternators, a starter, 2 sets of tpms, throttle position sensor, brake switch, a park sensor, 02 sensors, a bcm
and about 36 headlight bulbs in 200000k. My last dodge had 330000 and the only thing it ever needed was an 02 sens and an egr valve. She will get a dodge next like it or not.

Don't forget the heater fan motors

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It almost seems like maybe there was some kind voltage problem causing all of those issues because I've never had a GM vehicle that has experienced that kind problem with sensors. My last Duramax was at 200 thousand kilometers when i sold it and the only thing I replaced was an EGR valve and a transmission cooler....and 1 set of headlight bulbs

Last edited:

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found with my Dodge I had to replace front end suspension parts all the time on that thing

Top Bottom