Getting tired of fixing my 5.3 GM

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really count ball joints/ tie rods as problems, more like consumables. I just expect to do that stuff every 100k in anything.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found with my Dodge I had to replace front end suspension parts all the time on that thing
Yeah - always seems like something going on with certain manufacturers. I do like the GM product but just always seemed to get a bad one. Even more irritating when others have consistent good luck with them. Oh well.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really count ball joints/ tie rods as problems, more like consumables. I just expect to do that stuff every 100k in anything.
That's cuz you have a dodge lol....
I know every manufacturer has their issues, as far as I'm concerned just pick the truck you like to drive the most and drive it

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It almost seems like maybe there was some kind voltage problem causing all of those issues because I've never had a GM vehicle that has experienced that kind problem with sensors. My last Duramax was at 200 thousand kilometers when i sold it and the only thing I replaced was an EGR valve and a transmission cooler....and 1 set of headlight bulbs

That's why 2 alternators. One was over charging, the other was allowing ac current into the system, and cooked the bcm. Both genuine ac delco alternators. Fun stuff.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's why 2 alternators. One was over charging, the other was allowing ac current into the system, and cooked the bcm. Both genuine ac delco alternators. Fun stuff.
That sucks man, what are the chances you get two bad ones in a row!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have two dodge hemi's
And I am reasonably satisfied... old 08 work truck has been great .
And my new 1 ton only pulls toy hauler ...
I am happy with both . I would buy a chev again , never a ford though ...

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a dodge hemi half ton and loved that truck...2500 dodge diesel....rode like a lumber wagon wow..granted it was a 2004...tried a 6.4 ford powerjoke....oh momma that truck was in the shop for 5 of the 9 months I owned it until my wife made me buy a Duramax cuz she was so sick of me using her vehicle...never looked back

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's good and bad of all trucks. There's certain models of brands I would buy and wouldn't. Just would buy a gm of any kind (except a 55 chev car). I can't eat that much crow lol. And don't like the looks of them.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the dark paint like that look into a paint sealant.. cheap easy and lasts compared to waxes. Minimizes swirls and scratches. 2 years later on my black truck I am looking at redoing because I am just starting to see some swirls

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the dark paint like that look into a paint sealant.. cheap easy and lasts compared to waxes. Minimizes swirls and scratches. 2 years later on my black truck I am looking at redoing because I am just starting to see some swirls

She's got a coat of Rejex on er already. Best stuff I've ever found. Airplane wax. My 06 and my 10 (both black) looked like new when I got rid of them...

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the fit and finish of the Japanese trucks, they just don't build em heavy enough for what I do, which is a bummer.

Top Bottom