Getting Over "The Fear"

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I hear you Snow Bunny! My hubby loves sledding, and I'm excited to learn, but also scared spitless! He and a friend took me out to a gravel pit one day, gave me a few lessons, waited until I was "kind of" comfortable, then left me alone for a couple hours to practice, it was awesome! No fear of looking stupid in front of the men, I could go as slow or as fast as I liked!

I had one little stuck that I couldn't get out of at the start, and when hubby came up, I thought to help me, all he did was stop and get out the camera!! :d It was great, took the pressure off and reminded me to just have fun with it.

By the time I figured out how to turn the machine, I was too tired to steer it anymore, so we never did hit the trails that day, but I look forward to the next time!

Heres to fun on the trails :beer:

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am new to sledding just this year, bought my very first sled in October. To give you an idea where I come from, I was born and raised in the city, never played motor type sports and most importantly never had the need to floor it or pin it, none the less up a hill covered in snow. The scariest boundary I've ever had to push was getting through post secondary school. I was a goody goody for most my life and always did things to the rule. Now with this whole new world of sledding that my fiance has introduced me too, I am noticing I have a lot of fear of the throttle and flooring it and just pushing boundaries of comfort. With all the great women sledders out there, and men, we all had to start somewhere. What I wanted to know is how were you able to get past the fear and pushing boundaries. I keep hearing throttle is your friend, but it scares the sh*t out of me. Any ideas? :eek:

Time and practice!!! Don't be afraid to make mistakes and get stuck, that's how to learn to do it on your own. I still get asked by guys when I sled with my female friends "Are you two out here by yourself?" And the answer is YES but we never have to ask for help, if guys see us in trouble just come over and help out. Sledding is a totally male dominated activity because you have to be strong to throw around the sleds when you're stuck or broke down, but I must say the men aren't arrogant and don't mind lending a hand when we are in need, they do get to laugh at us, but we laugh with them now!! Good luck and keep practicing because eventually when you get used to it you won't want do anything else but sled every weekend in the winter. :)

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You NEED to fall off...... you will never know how far over it can go if you don't know when it will go over...

I'm just learning but the more I fall off the better I get... I fall off lots...

open fields, deep snow and learning the limits of you and the machine...

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Spectacular dismounts are my specialty!
You NEED to fall off...... you will never know how far over it can go if you don't know when it will go over...

I'm just learning but the more I fall off the better I get... I fall off lots...

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

BrownEyes420

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You may even do a bit of flying on your dismounts! You get used to the landings eventually, I haven't broken any bones yet either :d

crmxgirl

Reaction score
The first time I ever rode a snowmobile was in the mountains, with a bunch of 10 plus year veteran guy sledders...talk about that anxious feeling! I grew up in the city and flat prairie where you could watch your dog run away for 3 days! But I'm going to go with what my hubby said to me on my first ride "The throttle is your friend", and the more you practice, the more you will find that to be the truth.

As a side note my hubby always pushes me to ride harder...so I pick one if his riding buddies they call "the girlie man" and spend a few hours riding with him...hopefully your hubby has a girly man in his group you can ride with...if you can keep up to the girlyman, you've got it mastered! Just remember to have fun!

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
Hello again. Just wanted to give an update, and thanks again for all the new helpful hints. All I can say is all your guys' hints are totally working. I went to McBride this past weekend and totally rode the crap out of my sled. I put caution to the wind and just followed my man. No questions, just followed. I was climbing hills I didn't think I could, I was tearing up the powder and I have a totally new confidence level. I'm not a pro yet but the important thing is I know I am capable of doing it and doing it better. I feel more comfortable on my sled and more comfortable falling off my sled....hehehehe.....it doesn't hurt as much as I thought. Unfortunately my man broke his sled that day and it is not rideable at the current moment. Good job, who am I riding with now with all this new found confidence. Thank you thank you thank you to all who shot out some hints at me and to my man for having the patience to teach me. See you out on the hills.:d

sweetsecret73

Reaction score
Apparently they are mine as well! As I was just told today fear overides common scense. :eek::eek: One day the throttle will be my friend. Thanx to Skinny and hubby I was able to make it back to the hotel in one piece...

Spectacular dismounts are my specialty!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hmmmm,sounds like a good story here,we'll discuss over a cocktail tonight
Apparently they are mine as well! As I was just told today fear overides common scense. :eek::eek: One day the throttle will be my friend. Thanx to Skinny and hubby I was able to make it back to the hotel in one piece...

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello again. Just wanted to give an update, and thanks again for all the new helpful hints. All I can say is all your guys' hints are totally working. I went to McBride this past weekend and totally rode the crap out of my sled. I put caution to the wind and just followed my man. No questions, just followed. I was climbing hills I didn't think I could, I was tearing up the powder and I have a totally new confidence level. I'm not a pro yet but the important thing is I know I am capable of doing it and doing it better. I feel more comfortable on my sled and more comfortable falling off my sled....hehehehe.....it doesn't hurt as much as I thought. Unfortunately my man broke his sled that day and it is not rideable at the current moment. Good job, who am I riding with now with all this new found confidence. Thank you thank you thank you to all who shot out some hints at me and to my man for having the patience to teach me. See you out on the hills.:d

That's a great post right there!!! :D Way to go! :yahoo:

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow....some really really great advice and tips in here, what a good read. Snow Bunny keep up the great practice! You sound like you are getting around just fine.

I too started the same way you did...hubby has been sledding his whole life and 14 yrs into our marriage he decides that I should start sledding!!! Yikes....so 3 yrs later, many many follow me games and here I am. A sledbettie and loving it.

A couple more things I can add that may also help are: ride with some confident and fun ladies. Ladies tend to be more receptive to ladies or other men (not our own men...no matter how great they are being). Ladies for the most part have a healthy balance of competativeness in them....I love Taminator to death...we feed off eachother when we ride. I see her pull some amazing powder trick and then I find myself doing the same dang thing....She likewise sees me pull some crazy stuff off and she follows me. Its the "if she can do it so can I" thing. I love riding with other women...we push eachother to be great because we havent got the "your stronger than me" excuse!!! LOL:d:p;)

Next...for me...The minute I first put my new Klim chest protector on any fear of falling or crashing I had just disappeared. For me the protector upped my "A" game huge!!!!! I was no longer afraid to hit the handlebars or fly off....and let me tell you, I have had many many spectacular dismounts and yes some on camera!!!

Just this past weekend I pulled a wicked hill...lots of obstacles, skis in the air the whole way...was wild but my camera man was not ready!!!! (Good thing for helmet cam I have proof I made it the first time) However the second and third try were not so successful but I kept trying as I had no fear of the crashing. I had no fear of the scratched or banged up sled. No fear of the trees a decimated!! The forth was a successful climb and 3 of those on camera.

My point is...just do it, leave fear of falling, fear of scratching your sled, fear of breaking things, leave it at home...get a protector and ride with crazy biotches!!! You will do great as it sounds like you already are!!!

Ride hard and ride safe....

Top Bottom