GeoTagging Photos

Reaction score
With the increase in thefts, I thought I'd make sure people are aware of the existence of EXIF / meta-data contained with in many peoples' pictures. Most iPhones (as an example) have this feature enabled by default. This warning was primarily in response to parents posting pictures of their kids online, and pedophiles using that longitude and latitude data to stalk kids, and have a picture of them, and map right to where they live.

The same concept applies to all your expensive toys. There are plugins in some browsers (Firefox for example) that will reveal the meta-data and make it trivial for thieves to find that sweet new sled, using nothing more than the photo.

I think everyone should turn it off, or at least be aware. Sometimes I re-enable mine, when I am sledding, so I can share the location later but my sleds aren't parked out on trails after that.

Be safe everyone... and don't make it easier on crack-heads to steal your ****....

Peace :headbanger:

*EDIT* oops, meant to include the link to a better explanation http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html?_r=0

Last edited:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iPhone
Settings>general>reset>reset location and privacy.
Then open your camera app , select "don't allow" when prompted.

Top Bottom