Gelcoating a boat

Shankster

Reaction score
Hello there everyone!! Just curious I have an older fibreglass boat and am itchin to bling it out! With this in mind does anyone know if there is anyone around red deer area that does gelcoating for older boats? I have looked in yellow pages but found nothing! So any recomendations??

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm no doctor nor do I own a boat, but wouldn't canadian tire carry something like that? they have DIY bed liners for trucks. Just a thought. I'm frugal and would look into trying it myself first.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Marine Clinic in Calgary has a guy in Ardrie that did awsome work on my Mastercraft

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barry Jays in Edmonton also does gel coat, they have a rack to tilt the boat so they can work on the bottom side. It would be very expensive to completely re-shoot a boat. How bad is the finish? can it be brought back with a good cutting polish?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barry Jays in Edmonton also does gel coat, they have a rack to tilt the boat so they can work on the bottom side. It would be very expensive to completely re-shoot a boat. How bad is the finish? can it be brought back with a good cutting polish?

exactly what i was thinking was going to get ours fixed and that alone was worth more than the boat i couldnt imagine doing an entire boat.:eek:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello there everyone!! Just curious I have an older fibreglass boat and am itchin to bling it out! With this in mind does anyone know if there is anyone around red deer area that does gelcoating for older boats? I have looked in yellow pages but found nothing! So any recomendations??

I used Mothers cutting agents and polishes. Will bring back even the most heavily oxidized hull. Easy to do with some elbow grease and a polisher.

Shankster

Reaction score

This bad boy sat out in the sun for about 20 years!:eek: The good news is we used jump ferry waves out on the west coast with it...and of course catch monster fish!!

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of boat is it, alot of old colors & flakes are making a comeback......saw a Mastercrafte X2 at the boat show metallic blue/ brown interior. Shine er up and save the money for feul & repairs. Happy boatin

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
How many beers was that project?

Lets say a couple .......... I only spent 2 or 3 hours on it and I couldn't believe the difference. This boat had been in the California sun so the damage was bad. This spring I'm putting more effort and beers into it. You guys can check it out at the lake hopefully soon!! :d

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if you gotta ask you cant afford it.:d:beer::beer::beer:

just trying to get an idea for the other boaters who are planning to tackle the same project...... my $20 rubber dinghy from Walmart doesn't need polishing....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just trying to get an idea for the other boaters who are planning to tackle the same project...... my $20 rubber dinghy from Walmart doesn't need polishing....

yeh no kidding a little armour all and shes ready to rip:d:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

but on a serious note on polishing the boat, we had one last year that looked really chitty hen we bought, got a clay bar polishing kit form cambodian tire and about 3 hrs made 4g on that boat.:d

Shankster

Reaction score
but on a serious note on polishing the boat, we had one last year that looked really chitty hen we bought, got a clay bar polishing kit form cambodian tire and about 3 hrs made 4g on that boat.:d

What is this "Clay bar polishing kit you speak of"? Sounds interesting! Hope I can use powertools!!

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is this "Clay bar polishing kit you speak of"? Sounds interesting! Hope I can use powertools!!

Another option if your not into the DIY project is to drop it off at a MING Polish Depot...they do absolutely amazing work but again not cheap. If i had to guess a 17ish size boat would be over a thousand for them to re-work. Want to take my truck there this year.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Another option if your not into the DIY project is to drop it off at a MING Polish Depot...they do absolutely amazing work but again not cheap. If i had to guess a 17ish size boat would be over a thousand for them to re-work. Want to take my truck there this year.

Wizard marine will do it too ....... 500 I think but may depend on the condition of the boat.

Top Bottom