Gas or diesel ?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see the 6.2 bring in the 17-18 range comparable to the diesel probly. Anyone who says they are getting better than that with the new diesels is lying. Got lots of consultants we work for with them and all say the same thing. The new ones are way harder on fuel than the older ones were

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the new diesels do suck especially the onces that are still using diesel to clean the DPF. the new lml (the one we have here anyways) 2012 CCLB 3500 get around 12l/100km on highway unloaded. which was better than my 2007 LBZ stock. but i got a tuner in mine and it made a huge improvement.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I still own my dreaded 05 Ford 6L diesel, that has been a flawless truck. It sit's on the driveway for month's or until I need it. I don't know what the newer diesels are like? But I would be happy to hook onto an 14000 lbs trailer and go against a NEW gasser for about 800K at 120/KPH or even at 100/KPH. Also, being on or off warranty. Doing your own oil changes on a diesel is only a 100 bucks.
IMHO..... It really depends on what you like, I doubt I'll ever go back to a gas pot as a trailer puller. But still love driving my 07 Chev classic 2500HD, as a company truck.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end I found an 06' 2500 hd, long story short I was lookin at the same but an 01' and the sales guy must have been hungry as the 01 wouldn't start for the test drive so he gave me the 06' for the same price $7500....140 k. Oh and 6l gas jobby...

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In the end I found an 06' 2500 hd, long story short I was lookin at the same but an 01' and the sales guy must have been hungry as the 01 wouldn't start for the test drive so he gave me the 06' for the same price $7500....140 k. Oh and 6l gas jobby...

I have said along that the 6l gas GM is bullet proof. Gets a little thirsty but gets the job done and has good power. Is it a diesel? No it isn't! Does it pull all day like a diesel? No it doesn't! But for an occasional puller it works just fine.

Now I get to see what the F350 6.2 gas jobby does.......

On the first trip home from the dealer I was at 15.6 according to the lie-o-meter.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My F-350 dually with the 6.2L and 4:30 rear gears has good power....but its thirsty...20L/100km at the speed limit and about 26L/100km pulling a load at the speed limit. No its not a diesel but it gets the job done. This was on my last trip pulling 6500lbs through the the parks.

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My F-350 dually with the 6.2L and 4:30 rear gears has good power....but its thirsty...20L/100km at the speed limit and about 26L/100km pulling a load at the speed limit. No its not a diesel but it gets the job done. This was on my last trip pulling 6500lbs through the the parks.

See this is where i get confused, I just picked up a 2013 6.7L F350 (diesel) and highway doing 100 km/h I get 13.2L/100 km, doing 120 km/h ish on the QE2 I get 13.6L/ 100 km, but thats my truck... Anyone who says the gas trucks get better mileage highway i think are lying because thats not what i'm seeing. Highway and City driving total according to my truck i get 14.2L/100 km (thats according to the computer for which i have not yet resent in all of the 4300 km i have on my truck so far.)

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See this is where i get confused, I just picked up a 2013 6.7L F350 (diesel) and highway doing 100 km/h I get 13.2L/100 km, doing 120 km/h ish on the QE2 I get 13.6L/ 100 km, but thats my truck... Anyone who says the gas trucks get better mileage highway i think are lying because thats not what i'm seeing. Highway and City driving total according to my truck i get 14.2L/100 km (thats according to the computer for which i have not yet resent in all of the 4300 km i have on my truck so far.)

i dont think thats what most people are saying, they are saying the cost savings in diesel mpg to the purchase price of the diesel motor isnt worth it.

my diesel one ton has better fuel econompy pulling a 30' gooseneck empty then my girl friends 1/2 ton gasser on the highway

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think thats what most people are saying, they are saying the cost savings in diesel mpg to the purchase price of the diesel motor isnt worth it.

my diesel one ton has better fuel econompy pulling a 30' gooseneck empty then my girl friends 1/2 ton gasser on the highway

But gas is better aha, and nobody ever mentions resale... Every gasser 3/4 ton i see for sale is usually about $10K less than their diesel counterpart. Guys trust diesels more in the long run. I would say if you're going to tow even 10% of the time get the diesel, you wont regret it.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did real world calculations on my fuel usage, I didn't trust the lie-o-meter, it had lower numbers....do your own calculations and I think you will be surprised at what you come up with. A gas engine will never get better mileage than a diesel, diesel has more BTU's than gasoline....but overall running costs over the life of the vehicle may be slightly less. In winter you idle a diesel way more and fuel generally costs more than gasoline. Oil change intervals are the same for gas/diesel, but the diesel holds more oil and the filters cost more. The company I work for no longer has any diesels, they found that running costs were less for gas engines when you factor in the extra cost for a diesel engine when purchasing. If you keep your vehicles a long time after the warranty is gone gas engines are cheaper to repair...old diesels are pricey when it comes time for repairs.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But gas is better aha, and nobody ever mentions resale... Every gasser 3/4 ton i see for sale is usually about $10K less than their diesel counterpart. Guys trust diesels more in the long run. I would say if you're going to tow even 10% of the time get the diesel, you wont regret it.

You don't think the staggering cost of repairs on used diesel motors lowers their resale value?

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full throttle with a heavy load for a long time, the only thing that matters is HP.

HP is only a number from a simple math equation. Torque x RPM / 5252 = HP. Torque is the measurement of force at the crank. Torque is what matters with a load.

Heres an interesting read and may answer alot of your questions. 6 Pages.

HowStuffWorks "For towing, what's more important, horsepower or torque?"

BTW I get 13L/100km or 21 MPG on the highway with my 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Long box 6.7L cummins. Stock everything. No deletes.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HP is only a number from a simple math equation. Torque x RPM / 5252 = HP. Torque is the measurement of force at the crank. Torque is what matters with a load.

Heres an interesting read and may answer alot of your questions. 6 Pages.

HowStuffWorks "For towing, what's more important, horsepower or torque?"

BTW I get 13L/100km or 21 MPG on the highway with my 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Long box 6.7L cummins. Stock everything. No deletes.

Yes Phat, HP is a simple math equation. However so is the gearing between crankshaft and pavement. A diesel spinning its torque at 2000rpm vs a gas at 6000rpm means the diesel must be geared 3 times as high, which effectively cuts the torque at the pavement by 3. That's why HP is what matters in this experiment.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So say if a diesel making 800 ft/lbs of torque could rev out to 6000 rpm. 800 x 6000 / 5252 = 913 hp. That would be awesome. But who wants to be pulling anything at high rpm. I just dont understand your point sorry. I dont want to start a pissing match. All I know is that when I bought a diesel in 05 I wont ever own a gas truck again. Once you burn exhaust black you will never go back! Haha

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into the gear ratios of the tranys and rear ends to do the comparison? Not a whole lot of diff. No pun intended. Lol
Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't think the staggering cost of repairs on used diesel motors lowers their resale value?

everyone talks about repair costs... warranty till 160,000 km... AND don't forget that's IF you have to repair something, my 5.9 was all minor crap not even motor related (ball joints, etc), never once had a huge issue (bought it with 180,000 km). But some guys have horror stories, the ones I know of, I know what the common denominator is (them lol). If you went by forums, you'd think that 50% of all vehicles have issues i think the actual percentage is less than 1%.

Now if you go modding the crap out if then yeah of course reliability will come into question, but you KNOW that going in. Or if you buy a modded to the hills diesel, well chances are you are going to have issues (same goes for gas though)

dont believe me? how about some examples:

-Polaris Drive shafts
-Doo's Bursting into flames
-Duramax Injectors
-Cummins Fuel Pumps
-Ford Boat anchors, i mean motors lol ( i own one now so i guess i better be careful)

Yes Ford 6.4s and 6.0 liters had issues but that was more of international's issue than fords. 6.7s I have yet to hear guys having a crap ton of issues (except blowing turbos to high pressure but that's their own fault)

But getting back to it, No, a well taken care of used diesel will go just as far as a new one (and definitely further than gas). Example 12V Cummins or original 7.3 Powerstrokes, both awesome motors.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the 5.9 cummins or ford 7.3 still were being built I would buy a diesel...but they don't....

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone talks about repair costs... warranty till 160,000 km... AND don't forget that's IF you have to repair something, my 5.9 was all minor crap not even motor related (ball joints, etc), never once had a huge issue (bought it with 180,000 km). But some guys have horror stories, the ones I know of, I know what the common denominator is (them lol). If you went by forums, you'd think that 50% of all vehicles have issues i think the actual percentage is less than 1%.

Now if you go modding the crap out if then yeah of course reliability will come into question, but you KNOW that going in. Or if you buy a modded to the hills diesel, well chances are you are going to have issues (same goes for gas though)

dont believe me? how about some examples:

-Polaris Drive shafts
-Doo's Bursting into flames
-Duramax Injectors
-Cummins Fuel Pumps
-Ford Boat anchors, i mean motors lol ( i own one now so i guess i better be careful)

Yes Ford 6.4s and 6.0 liters had issues but that was more of international's issue than fords. 6.7s I have yet to hear guys having a crap ton of issues (except blowing turbos to high pressure but that's their own fault)

But getting back to it, No, a well taken care of used diesel will go just as far as a new one (and definitely further than gas). Example 12V Cummins or original 7.3 Powerstrokes, both awesome motors.

All valid points but the new destroyer of engines is emissions, high egr rates, dpfs and the new long oil change intervals. God forbid you plug a dpf...

Top Bottom