Garage Package

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my garage material through UFA in Mayerthorpe and they were excellent to deal with. They knew what they were talking about as they had a guy specifically dealing with lumber for structures and engineered drawings were included to meet building code specs. The didn't charge freight to Whitecourt which was also a plus. One great suggestion I got from them was to use scissor trusses to create a vaulted ceiling where I hung my radiant tube down the center of the ceiling - worked great and have more height for storage etc... UFA was excellent and I suggest at least giving them a shot.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Design it & get material as U need it as ....Your plans may change a bit during construction... I know mine did, Of course it is always the more expensive way !

zrtdarryl

Reaction score
nordegg summers lake havasu winters <retirement p
i used superior lumber here in edmonton for the engineered beam i needed.
it was actually pretty cheap and very quick delivery in 2 days. dimensions were 28 feet long 17 in deep it came in 3 lengths each 1.75 inches wide that you screw together in a "sawtooth" pattern this dimension will work as a clearspan main center beam on a 2 story house and only cost 300.00 dollars
for most building codes you need a cmhc approved truss and the truss builders will give you a picture of the truss with the cmhc approval # on the drawing. this # just means that it is engineer approved throughout canada.
there is a company out in wetaskiwin if i remember right <but i cannot remember the name of it> that advertises steel buildings on approved pads you could always get a quote from them WITH a copy of the concrete pad drawing with the p eng. approval stuff and use it for the pad permit , this also gives you a good pad drawing to follow

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 30x34x10 was $10670.89 that's vinyl siding 30 year shingels 2 9x9 doors 3 30''x36'' windows and the OSB for the inside through the home building center in Stettler. The Concrete was $3100.00 for 4500 psi 6'' thick and a foot thick around the outside 2 feet. Then $1000 buck cash for the guy to finish it. And it was worth every penny to have the floor done buy a pro.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbours son builds decks and fences over the summer. Good kid, does good quality work at honest prices. He buys his lumber from Lbh in St. Albert. Supposed to be much cheaper than anywhere else, including Home Depot and Rona, and as good a quality as Totem, if not better. Lbh looks to be associated with the big US chain TIMBR Mart.

I asked if that was for contractors only and apparenlty they used to be but are now open to the public.

His exact words..."waaaay cheaper than anywhere else".

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thread for doing some homework! Keep the info coming!

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is DEPRESSING :(:(

My little 24' x 24' garage is so small I can hardly turn around in it with all the toys, tools and vehicles...

I need a BIG garage TOO.....lol

Must say I am impressed at how garages have changed in the past 20 years...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is our garage in BC that we just finished. not to big 24x26. radiant heat in the floor (amazing for a garage) nice when laying down to work on something. into it for probly 30-35 due to the rediculous pad we had to build for the town. building inspector was there every day to make sure we did. check out the plans i posted. 2ft thick around the edges. thats alot of concrete. i could work on a d10 CAT in this garage haha.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
phone Northlands Truss...ask for Nick...Tell him Curtis Crowley sent you...he'll set you up with everything you need...any problems let me know.

Last edited:

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice shop Maxwell, there never large enough. I built mine 22' X 30' with pile and grade beam foundation for the walls and poured slab for the floor. I'm deciding which way to go with the heating, radiant tube or forced air. I'm worried with radiant tube and a 9.5' high ceiling that storing my boat, seadoo etc; it will dry out the fibreglas surfaces. Any feedback on the required height away from surfaces?

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
I went with a 30 x 44 x 14 steel, from future steel buildings in Ontario. Its straight walled for a few feet, then its more quonset style... the package was 21000 delivered, and it came with R13 insulation, 10x10 door frame, man door, 2 vents, and 4900 bolts . I had a 6 inch finished floor put in with the heating pipes as well ( which was 19 grand!! ) , and am in the middle of getting it put up... more to come later!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice shop Maxwell, there never large enough. I built mine 22' X 30' with pile and grade beam foundation for the walls and poured slab for the floor. I'm deciding which way to go with the heating, radiant tube or forced air. I'm worried with radiant tube and a 9.5' high ceiling that storing my boat, seadoo etc; it will dry out the fibreglas surfaces. Any feedback on the required height away from surfaces?

I was told that you need a minimum of 6' between the radiant tube and any surface. That is why I went with forced air, even with my 12' walls. I figured that it could be a costly touch replacing gel coat on the boat from a radiant tube. I have no regrets going forced air, it is a little louder than radiant, but quick recovery when the big door is opened.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a garage, I think you are better off to put in floor heating and small forced air furnace over radiant.

Maxwell, that is quite the pad for a 24 x 26 pad!! I was able to go with a floating pad in Strathcona County for a 26 x 28 garage. I went with a 8" pad and 32 Mpa concrete. Framed the pad, packed the gravel and sand, and laid the rebar and pex tubing. The pex pipe in the floor for heating was $300. Paid a concrete guy $1100 to do all the concrete work and finishing on a Saturday.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a 30'x36'x12' 2 years ago. I went with a package put together by a local building center. Never again!! What a bunch of tools. They give me one 2"x10" for the overhead door header. Took that crap back and got 3 2"x12" and screwed them together. All kind of stuff was overlooked in the quote. I went with a 16'x10' sunshine door, a little pricy at $3600 installed, but worth every penny for the natural light. I did the entire thing myself, from rough construction to wiring to siding. Saved myself close to 20 grand. With everything, concrete, doors, windows, 42" plasma screen and and home theater system, I am into it for close to $50,000.

WOW what a garage!!!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright....concrete is done and I am VERY happy with the job these guys did. Went above and beyond to make sure I had a good pad and drive. Great finish and the price was right.

So now I'm on to building the structure and have a few questions.

What should a framer cost per square be and how do they calculate the square footage. Is it just floor area square footage?

How much should a roofer charge per square?

Have three doors that need to be installed, 9x7, 10x7 and 16x7. Any idea on costs for install?

Since I won't be running heat in the garage all the time, is it OK to just staple the vapour barrier on, or is it adviseable to glue it on like new homes?

Also taking recommendations on framers, roofers and door installers.

Thanks.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Since I won't be running heat in the garage all the time, is it OK to just staple the vapour barrier on, or is it adviseable to glue it on like new homes?
QUOTE]

I STAPLED MY VAPOUR BARRIER ON 10 YEARS AGO, AND NEVER PAINTED/TAPED THE DRYWALL, AND NO PROBLEMS WITH MY HEATER..... I LEAVE THE HEATER ON AT 0* IN THE WINTER WHEN I'M NOT IN THE GARAGE.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need to tape all the vapor barrier connections and use acoustic sealer at the top and bottom of the wall at the sill plate. also around any doors and windows. otherwise you will get moisture in the wall and it will let alot of air in...which is.....inefficient

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
you need to tape all the vapor barrier connections and use acoustic sealer at the top and bottom of the wall at the sill plate. Also around any doors and windows. Otherwise you will get moisture in the wall and it will let alot of air in...which is.....inefficient

yup, we used tuct tape for all the connetions and top and bottom of walls etc....

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Built this four years ago now!! 24 x 34 and 800sq. ft. upstairs. Took me and pops the summer. $110K

Attachments

• House and race 001.jpg
    House and race 001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 103
  • House and race 002.jpg
    House and race 002.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 106
Top Bottom