Garage Package

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a garage package, and would like too put living quarters up top as well. Just wondering if anyone has any good info or a good place to go too like Totem, Home Hardware etc... Looking at going 30x40 Thanks :beer:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10% off packages at Totem till the 20th. They allow alterations to the packages as well.

Northlands has some interesting packages.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garage packages are overpriced, and useless. Just go to Rona and/or to the Truss manufactuer, like Edmonton truss, Zyteck, dealt with both lots and they are good. There is atleast 20% markup. Very easy to figure out what you need. The only things you cannot get there, you can go direct like roofmart, door company etc. The other advantage to this is you get stuff as you need it, instead of all at once and don't risk stuff going missing.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree, packages are overpriced for sure. Did a 30x40x10 years ago and the best package was at UFA.., considering the timeframe I had to work with, quality/selection, price..etc, Totem was my second choice. If I was to do it again I would do it all myself as Cyle said. Live and learn.. either way, one of the best things I've done to the place. Good luck! :d:beer:

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure they are overpriced, just looking for some cool ideas or a neat floor plan. Gonna build something like this for now, live in it for a while and then build a house :beer:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I built my garage 28 X 36 X 10 ft walls [6 years ago] I did it peice by peice, I preplanned 8 months in advance, the trusses threw UFA where year end stock in Sept, brought them home covered with a tarp. Lumber from Co-op, tin roof and tin walls from westend of the city. Overhead doors off of the Bargain Finder 9 ft X 8 ft high,
Built it with some help all said and done complete with cement, drywall and insulated was $10,500.00. So in the end dont go with the package.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Some great advise here, I'm looking at garage packages right now as well. I would have assumed the "Package Price" would have been the best value. Guess I need to rethink this plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
For sure they are overpriced, just looking for some cool ideas or a neat floor plan. Gonna build something like this for now, live in it for a while and then build a house :beer:

Please keep us in the loop during the process. I too am planning on doing the Exact same thing on a piece of property west of Rocky. :beer:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some great advise her, I'm looking at garage packages right now as well. I would have assumed the "Package Price" would have been the best value. Guess I need to rethink this plan.

Me too. Thought the "packages" were setup so you saved money over buying peice by piece. Then throw on the 10% discount. Maybe Totem will give me a materials list so I can compare. Need to start ordering wood soon.

Can anyone tell me the best place to buy Timberstrand headers then.

Will I really save though if I need delivery from all these other suppliers. That could add up too.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me too. Thought the "packages" were setup so you saved money over buying peice by piece. Then throw on the 10% discount. Maybe Totem will give me a materials list so I can compare. Need to start ordering wood soon.

Will I really save though if I need delivery from all these other suppliers. That could add up too.

When we got material for a house delivered, $100 bucks gets you a single axle truck. That is enough to haul all the wood for a garage easy. I think trusses are $200. But depending on the size you could get it all on the tractor trailer so $200. A 22' truss is only $50 I believe, they aren't much.

Put it this way, I would personally pick up and deliver a garage package for the price Totem or any other places. There is THAT much markup. For things like the garage door, your better off paying someone to buy it and install it. They buy it cheaper and do a basic door for only like $300 for installing it. Also you have to compare the materials, many things are skimped in the packages. Like uninsulated door, only 20 year shingles, etc, when the better stuff isn't much more.

All I know is this, NEVER EVER get Totem to build the garage to, they take your deposit and heard of many people waiting for a year for it, because they just hire out the work to contractors, whoever will do it cheap.

By Timberstrand headers i'm guessing you mean headers for over doors and windows? Better off building them yourself. The only beam you need to buy for a garage is overtop of the big door.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built 26x28x10 from scratch, saved about 20% over the best package price. Garage is bulit way better than package. Home hardware had a sale on installed garage doors, even the Wayne Dalton dealer who installed it could not match the price. Bought mandoors at Home Depot, both had small dings and were 2 for 1 priced. Windows from Durabuilt window clearance center. Edmonton truss price delivered was better that Totem non delivered price. The guy at Totem even gave me a copy of there instructions from a package.

You can save a lot of money doing a little leg work.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be aware of your local codes as far as pad and maximum size are concerned.

some provinces/municipalities require a garage over 24x26 to be engineered.
and also require an engineered pad. which can cost more than the package itself.

havent looked at my new code but pretty sure alberta just requires a 4-6" standard garage pad.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a 30'x36'x12' 2 years ago. I went with a package put together by a local building center. Never again!! What a bunch of tools. They give me one 2"x10" for the overhead door header. Took that crap back and got 3 2"x12" and screwed them together. All kind of stuff was overlooked in the quote. I went with a 16'x10' sunshine door, a little pricy at $3600 installed, but worth every penny for the natural light. I did the entire thing myself, from rough construction to wiring to siding. Saved myself close to 20 grand. With everything, concrete, doors, windows, 42" plasma screen and and home theater system, I am into it for close to $50,000.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 156

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a 30'x36'x12' 2 years ago. I went with a package put together by a local building center. Never again!! What a bunch of tools. They give me one 2"x10" for the overhead door header. Took that crap back and got 3 2"x12" and screwed them together. All kind of stuff was overlooked in the quote. I went with a 16'x10' sunshine door, a little pricy at $3600 installed, but worth every penny for the natural light. I did the entire thing myself, from rough construction to wiring to siding. Saved myself close to 20 grand. With everything, concrete, doors, windows, 42" plasma screen and and home theater system, I am into it for close to $50,000.

That looks great, and yea if you did the pad to finish yourself, $20,000 is about right, but it is a ton of work. As far as engineering a pad, what the city don't know won't hurt them. Paying an engineer a couple thousand bucks to stamp your plan is a joke, and many of them don't have a clue anyways, it's no garentee. Building inspections are a joke, most of them don't even know what the codes are.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hey Zrrrr.....have you talked to tko about this???

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup...about the concrete anyway. TKO, guess I should be gettin' your opinion on all the rest!?

I needed an engineered pad. Cost me a whopping $300 to get stamped drawings. Pad will only cost a handful of hundreds for the extra work.

Based on what I see here, looks like I will be making up my own materials list. It's just time right...sigh.

GNG....wow...NICE garage!!!!!!

About the Timberstrand headers, it's for the big doors. If I go with standard boards it will be like 4 2x12's or something silly. The engineered headers were easier to make the city happy and supposedly will not warp or bow at any time in their life span.

Learning lots. Keep it coming guys.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I perfer to get the packages from Totem, there lumber seems good. Stay away from lumber yards that store lumber indoors, cause when you bring it back out it warps and twists. If you get a package add studs and attic strapping, Always short. Use a Tecklam, Timberstand, Parralam, or an engineered beam above the overhead door as convential lumber deflects over time, Expecially if under the eaves, not as bad on a gable wall. The rating for Douglas Fir is not what it used to be and the local codes are now using Spruce #1. Overhead doors I like to deal at Creative doors, they supply and install and have good prices. Windows and doors - Durabuilt.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I perfer to get the packages from Totem, there lumber seems good. Stay away from lumber yards that store lumber indoors, cause when you bring it back out it warps and twists. If you get a package add studs and attic strapping, Always short. Use a Tecklam, Timberstand, Parralam, or an engineered beam above the overhead door as convential lumber deflects over time, Expecially if under the eaves, not as bad on a gable wall. The rating for Douglas Fir is not what it used to be and the local codes are now using Spruce #1. Overhead doors I like to deal at Creative doors, they supply and install and have good prices. Windows and doors - Durabuilt.

You'd have good luck with Durabuilt? The windows my dad got from them for our house are GARBAGE. They look so terrible, and they weren't cheap. The corners fit terrible and they tried to touch them up and the color doesn't match, they did the front door wrong, $3,000 door has screws showing when you open it and a lot of other problems, it SHOULD be replaced but they refuse. Going to end up sueing them unless they come up with something good....wouldn't use their windows again if they were free....All weather makes 100x the windows.

As far as beams, yea "engineered" if it is stamped on I guess it was LOL. There is a bunch of options, one is 1x4" glued together, microlam, and the red stuff I can't remember the name. But for regular doors and windows, much better off with 2x6, 2x10 or whatever the code calls for.

Top Bottom