garage heater

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going to have a 20'x20' garage built for the wifes car, my sled and quad. thinking of putting in one of these just going to heat it 5-8 degrees to keep stuff from freezing and then crank it up if i need to work on my sled. Im thinking of going overboard a bit on the heater instead of getting one for the exact size.. what am i going to expect for electrical bills? $50 more a month?? it will only really be working hard december january. My dads an electrician so we can run the wire from the house, and wire it in. This is just a 2-5 year house so not looking to do gas.

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the going rate here in Alberta, say $.08/kwh works out to .80/hr to run that unit. Figure what it will run for time wise in a month and it will give you an approx. rate. If it runs only 5 hrs a day, that's $4.00 a day. It takes a long tiime to heat a garage up once all the air is replaced with cold air. They are far less efficient than gas for sure. Where is the heater located, floor, hung from ceiling, wall, etc.???? How well are the doors sealed? Not everyday is -20 or -30. So many variables to consider. Take the worst case scenario and then you will have no surprises. Best to chat with someone around you who has one and see what their opinion is. JMO

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
i know it may be a bit more expensive but if you are poring a fresh slab of concrete it is worth putting in floor heating. weather it be electric or water ( you then need a boiler) it is the best. at my place it is at 15 degrees in the winter and running off our existing boiler it only cost and extra $15 bucks a month in the winter to heat it. it is a six car garage to boot.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know it may be a bit more expensive but if you are poring a fresh slab of concrete it is worth putting in floor heating. weather it be electric or water ( you then need a boiler) it is the best. at my place it is at 15 degrees in the winter and running off our existing boiler it only cost and extra $15 bucks a month in the winter to heat it. it is a six car garage to boot.

Not to mention working at ground level is actually pleasant and you don't get frozen water on the floor etc near the door openings. Best type of garage heat there is. But yes comes with a price.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
Not to mention working at ground level is actually pleasant and you don't get frozen water on the floor etc near the door openings. Best type of garage heat there is. But yes comes with a price.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

you bet... nothing worse.

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10Kw on 240volt 1 phase is 41.7 amps. it will be expensive assuming you have room in the panel for it. Electric heat is not the way to go in these parts.

Top Bottom