GaiaGPS

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have been using this free app for a few years now and it is great. I have read where the "premium" version is absolutely awesome but I am not into paying when the free app does what I need.
I got an email this morning with some stats from our last outing. I didn't look at the numbers when we finished the trip but I did take a screen shot of our track on my phone and shared it. So here are the numbers GaiaGPS sent this morning.

IMG_7125.jpg

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay for the premium version I personally think it’s worth it just for the access to the backroad maps. I use the app for more than sledding tho. I track my river runs, dirt bike trails and 4x4ing adventures. Without knowing where some roads are in the mountains I would 100% have not found the alternate routes in areas that have the worst trails ever.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gai sent me an email last month saying that my 2 year trial has expired. I don't remember signing up for a 2 year trial. I'm assuming the app still works without paying.
I'd really like to see a short trial of the full version of Fatmap. Looks great on wi-fi from home but would love to try it in the mountains.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Gai sent me an email last month saying that my 2 year trial has expired. I don't remember signing up for a 2 year trial. I'm assuming the app still works without paying.
I'd really like to see a short trial of the full version of Fatmap. Looks great on wi-fi from home but would love to try it in the mountains.
Interesting. I don't remember a "trial period" either. They keep sending me the deals for premium and I am tempted but if it does what I need for free, why pay. I am not familiar with Fatmap. I will Google it and familiarize myself with it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just a quick overview of the FatMap site and how come I get the feeling that it is mainly self-propelled activity. Did a fair amount of looking and I saw hiking, mountain biking, and skiing. No motorized back country activity. I did find the words "protect the environment" in one of their vision sentences.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I have been using Gaia also. Pretty much never look at my Rhino unless trying to find someone. Being cloud based it's great to have a look on the computer and see all your previous tracks and plan new routes, drop pins to check out areas and it's on your phone when you open the app. Sharing tracks with friends is pretty easy too.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ya. Clearly a “no brainer” if you can use it.
Please explain "if you can use it"......

Down load the app to your phone. Open the app and press record. Press record again to stop it and then edit the title, etc. Save it and the track is on the map. So go out to the same area again and press record. A new track will be added along with the pervious one. You can compare tracks and see how the second day related to the first day. There is a compass on the app and it shows in degrees. IMHO, it is an impressive tool.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I bought the premium last night. I'm kind of disappointed that the 3D feature on the phone is not nearly as good as on the desktop. I thought that maybe the premium version would be better but nope. Going to figure out how to download off line satellite maps and I'll report back.

If you are using the cloud service with an account set up and want to keep zipper mouth creek a secret, make sure your public track sharing is off.

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey keep quiet about the public tracks setting. I mean dont get me wrong, i leave mine off, but its invaluable when going to a new area to find everyone elses honey holes!
The premium version is great for the many different layers, even historical forest fire data, and syncing with your account when your on a computer. great for pre hunt/sled trip scouting

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey keep quiet about the public tracks setting. I mean dont get me wrong, i leave mine off, but its invaluable when going to a new area to find everyone elses honey holes!
The premium version is great for the many different layers, even historical forest fire data, and syncing with your account when your on a computer. great for pre hunt/sled trip scouting
I contemplated saying anything. Figured I would give some info the Snow&Mudders. I don't say boo on Facebook about it though.

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha its all good. I never rode revy until last year. Was really nice to see where everyone else goes, where the usual main paths are. We had a really good trip considering none of us had ever rode there before. Thanks alot in part to what we found on Gaia

Top Bottom