furnace issue

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ok so to start the furnace has a new thermocouple (sp) and a recent cleaning.....in the last week i have a smell coming from the ducts started mild and even seems to come and go. i'm out of town but the gf has said that if she takes the upper cover off of the furnace it seems to go away...

the smell is kind of a musty/mothball smell, doesnt smell like anything rotting or anything along those lines more of a stale smell

any idea's before i have to have someone come look at it?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just leftover dust etc burning off the heat exchanger from the cleaning process by the sounds of it. Crank her up, (the furnace not the GF) and get her rippin. The smell will go away.

Oh, and don't leave your wet riding socks near any of the cold air returns either. LOL

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
is your air inlet to the house/furnace under snow?

checked that this weekend went up on the roof and shveled it all out, intake was a little covered, but not completely....

hoping your right riverjet, but its been like that for a week or more, figured it would have burnt off by now

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was it your ducts you had recently cleaned?

i would take the inspection cover off the furnace plenum and inspect the top of the heat exchanger and see if it has some crap on it, and make sure its not cracked.

also make sure the filter is clean, better flow, lower heat exchanger temp and more efficent.

What kind and efficency rating is the furnace... ie mid or high?
need more info.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
dont know off hand much about the furnace, its older, 25 years or so, has the 2 large removeable panels on the front, its in a mobile home, and yes it was the ducts that were recently cleaned and in the last 2-3 months has been serviced and was fine at that time

the furnace plenum cover is the one on the bottom? i know nothing about furnaces

was it your ducts you had recently cleaned?

i would take the inspection cover off the furnace plenum and inspect the top of the heat exchanger and see if it has some crap on it, and make sure its not cracked.

also make sure the filter is clean, better flow, lower heat exchanger temp and more efficent.

What kind and efficency rating is the furnace... ie mid or high?
need more info.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont know off hand much about the furnace, its older, 25 years or so, has the 2 large removeable panels on the front, its in a mobile home, and yes it was the ducts that were recently cleaned and in the last 2-3 months has been serviced and was fine at that time

the furnace plenum cover is the one on the bottom? i know nothing about furnaces

id get a pro into look at it if ya got a leak it worth the risk to not have it looked at

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so its a down draft then. meaning the furnace blows down in the floor and through the ducting. It is also possible that the duct has seperated between the floor and the poly when they cleaned your vents and the smell is from the space between the floor and the poly that holds the insulation in place. i don't think it is dust on the heat exchanger because your furnace most likely does not have a return air. it draws from the front panel for combustion air.

i would check the volume of air at each register to make sure they are all even flow, including the toe kicks under the counters... kitchen, bathroom

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
hmmm that makes sence, i will do that for sure and pop the covers and look in to see if maybe a 45 let go.....i just dont wanna f' around it its a c0 problem, dont need carbon monoxide poisoning.....but that doesnt usually have a smell linked.

only issue with the seperation idea is that the cleaning was 4 weeks or more ago and the smell just came this week

so its a down draft then. meaning the furnace blows down in the floor and through the ducting. It is also possible that the duct has seperated between the floor and the poly when they cleaned your vents and the smell is from the space between the floor and the poly that holds the insulation in place. i don't think it is dust on the heat exchanger because your furnace most likely does not have a return air. it draws from the front panel for combustion air.

i would check the volume of air at each register to make sure they are all even flow, including the toe kicks under the counters... kitchen, bathroom

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a whole branch of my family tree pass away in the mid 90's due to carbon monoxide poisoning from an old furnace. Don't mess around get a pro, it's like riding drunk without a helmut if you don't know exactly what's going on.

funrider

Reaction score
a couple of things to check
there should be a metal pipe that starts in the middle center and goes up to the chimney make sure it is properly hooked up and the gas company will check your furnace for free (only trouble is if it has a cracked exchanger you will have to replace right away better safe then sorry)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
a couple of things to check
there should be a metal pipe that starts in the middle center and goes up to the chimney make sure it is properly hooked up and the gas company will check your furnace for free (only trouble is if it has a cracked exchanger you will have to replace right away better safe then sorry)

no gas company, one thing forgot and should mention, i run propane heat

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's your gas supplier ? We have had Atco come to our house and inspect the furnace and test for C/O "free of charge". It is a service they supply. Call them it's better safe then sorry !

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the only thing i can think that would cause a odour in the house. CO has no smell and you would have a wicked headache.
Get a CO tester.... if you don't have one. there cheap and plug into the wall.
anyway, just to be on the safe side check the heat exchanger, being as you say 25 years old, its worth it. make sure the chim is clear and pull the cap and look down iside and make sure its good, after time they rot out from flue gas.... very acidic.
you can check the heat exchanger yourself, in your case its tricky being a down draft.... i use a bore scope on them cuz they usually crack on the seams on the bends.

i don't think this is your problem though.... sorry dude, best i can do, i don't live that way anymore otherwise i would be right over to help yah out.....

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
no worries man thanks very much for the info, been searching online and keep getting those stupid f'in Q 'n' A sites

thats the only thing i can think that would cause a odour in the house. CO has no smell and you would have a wicked headache.
Get a CO tester.... if you don't have one. there cheap and plug into the wall.
anyway, just to be on the safe side check the heat exchanger, being as you say 25 years old, its worth it. make sure the chim is clear and pull the cap and look down iside and make sure its good, after time they rot out from flue gas.... very acidic.
you can check the heat exchanger yourself, in your case its tricky being a down draft.... i use a bore scope on them cuz they usually crack on the seams on the bends.

i don't think this is your problem though.... sorry dude, best i can do, i don't live that way anymore otherwise i would be right over to help yah out.....

Top Bottom