Full or empty...

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to put the sleds away for the season. The question is about how much gas is the best to keep in the tank during the summer with stabilizer? Some do 1/4 tank as it is less fuel to get rid of in the fall.
Others say to keep it full to prevent moisture etc from entering the tank as it breathes (hot and cold).
I have always done the full version, looking for your thoughts about it.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full with 91 octane with stabilizer in it and I start the sled once a month and let it run a few minutes. My old indy 500 I always drained the tank and cleaned the carbs because even with stabilizer the 87 octane went stale so fast

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
empty, but I first run some stabilizer to make sure the gas in the fuel injection is system stabilized

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1/4 full.... I go out at the last weekend of every month (or I forget) Start and let it run to 118F smack the throttle a few times, and see ya next month.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever the level ended up being after my last ride, so usually close to empty. Do the BRP engine fog dealie, and wait for the snow to fly.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to highjack this thread, but how many of you fog your motor ???

the sled shops here tell me to just use fuel stabilizer with a full-ish tank of gas and job done.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me too. Whatever was in it when I got home. I never know when the last ride is till about a month after it. Then add some stabilizer, run it till warm.....and usually ignore it till fall. :D

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the old gas gum up the carbs if you don't run it dry?

I have been told (on dootalk) to have 1/4 to less in the tank with stabilizer, and simultaneously fog the engine while having the fuel line clamped off .....for my 06 summit

watthead

Reaction score
I dont think the old gas gums up the carbs. As the gas dries it leaves a glaze or film on everything, thats the trouble. If you run your sled every month you keep the carb bowls filled with gas and thus avoid the glazing. Park it for the summer the bowls dry once and you get 1 layer of glazing. If your in humid conditions then i would fog engine. In the prairies, park it in spring, start at beginning of season. I park with whatever's in the tank, top up for first ride, then good to go.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fog every spring too. I am liking the idea about starting up and warming up the engine a few times in the summer, that I can get my 'Two stroke Smoke' fix more often. Nothing like the smell of Redline in the morning!

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We ride till July and start back up in late October/November so I just run it down to about a 1/4 and make sure and fire the sleds up once a month. I also make sure and spin the track in the Summer to make sure the bearings stay lubed up.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys all seem to do alot, ive always just siphoned out the remainder of the fuel from the last ride, and dumped it in the quad, no stabilizer, no fog, no nothing done to the sled. I tarp it and it gets put away till late november every year, fill it with premium come begining of the season and fire it up, never once had a problem, fires up second pull every time come fall. Sometimes I get a few to many beers in me and fire it up in the summer just to bug my neighbor lol :) but Ive never had an issue in all these years

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Filling the tank is only good for displacing moisture. The gas gets old and should be siphoned out at the start of the year, so basically its a waste of time and fuel (unless you re-use it like Zal). Run it down to 1/4 tank, start sled every now and then if you have a carb sled. Any EFI sled DOES NOT have carbs and therefore does not need to be started monthly, there is nothing to gum up in the system. Siphon out remaining gas at start of season and good to go. Only reason for starting it would be to circulate some lube in there if you didn't fog it, and you can do that be simply rolling the clutch ahead a few times a season, no need to even light it up. If you fog it in, then starting it monthly is only burning out the extra oil that you put in while fogging it.

Don't forget there is a feature on the ETEC Doo's that fogs it for you: set odo to reg mileage, click hi/low beam switch and then press "S" (or something along those lines...) and it does it automatically. I forget it all but search youtube and you will find the procedure.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frick, I'm a slow typer. Might as well delete my post since almost saying the same thing as Modman....good points.
Only thing to add, is at the beginning of next season, I siphon the stabil gas out of sled and dump in the truck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom