FSR roads and radio's

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a little more indepth than that. If a loaded logging truck takes the ditch there is always a chance the load comes through the cab and kills ya. That kinda makes you not wanna take the ditch.

2nd, your in the trucks work place. You screw up with your pickup and take a truck out, a fair chance he is an owner operator and your taking away his ability to make a living. Logging seasons are fairly short, nobody can afford the down time to get their rigs fixed and loose the work. If your screw him up, be prepared for a loss of income suit coming your way.

I’m from a town that logs and has 4 mills and has oilfield completely around it . I knew it was a little more in-depth than what I was saying.I just wasn’t going that deep. Anddd I believe I did mention a guy losing his cheque because his rig is down. But yeah you are right people get facked up by logs coming through cabs. Hell one mill here had a lady drive directly into the back of a fully loaded truck of full length who was stopped and four ways on . Don’t know how she survived, but she did!! Chit can happen so quick and some people don’t realize that sometimes and it’s affects others.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m from a town that logs and has 4 mills and has oilfield completely around it . I knew it was a little more in-depth than what I was saying.I just wasn’t going that deep. Anddd I believe I did mention a guy losing his cheque because his rig is down. But yeah you are right people get facked up by logs coming through cabs. Hell one mill here had a lady drive directly into the back of a fully loaded truck of full length who was stopped and four ways on . Don’t know how she survived, but she did!! Chit can happen so quick and some people don’t realize that sometimes and it’s affects others.

you bet, was just adding to your post, lots of guys dont think of that when they go looking for an xmas tree, firewood or headed out sledding.

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you bet, was just adding to your post, lots of guys dont think of that when they go looking for an xmas tree, firewood or headed out sledding.

Or when a full length load is turning left and they don’t wait for the rear of the load to swing and it helps that impatient person directly into the ditch lol

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Incase anyone actually is not familiar with the protocol . Unless you are a rig. You are considered “light vehicle” going up in km’s is considered empty. Going down in kms is considered loaded..

* going in to a spot ( up in km’s)
“ Light vehicle at km 4 empty”

* heading down after a riding ( down in km’s)
“ Light vehicle at km 4 loaded “

If you have a trailer mention it when calling Kms.

Truckers will slow down and tell you to take a spot where it’s wide for both to pass.
If you respect the boys running the big rigs they will respect you right back

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Incase anyone actually is not familiar with the protocol . Unless you are a rig. You are considered “light vehicle” going up in km’s is considered empty. Going down in kms is considered loaded..

Truckers will slow down and tell you to take a spot where it’s wide for both to pass.

In BC, it is calling "up" or "down" and not loaded nor empty.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_20140204_170359.jpg

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You have a couple things right.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/resource-roads/radio-communications

1097b19e097577f816eea5ed1203b39b.jpg

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calling procedure's in the vast majority of BC are slightly different than the sign posted. Not sure how old that sign is. Basically its real simple

Call when entering a new roadway ie pickup up at zero on the *********

when "up" after this only call "must calls" the road marker sign will say must call. Other than that keep quiet and make sure to clear all down traffic with time to spare. The reason for silence for the up traffic is simply to keep the radios from to much chatter. If every up vehicle calls their KM's there is way to much going on and creates more hazards than it helps

When coming down you call every 2nd KM. IE pickup down at 32. There is no need to call the name of the road unless either there is more than one road using the channel or its your first call down on the road.

To much radio talk is as bad as not enough. Vehicles going up must have a radar scan going in their head, they much know where the next 2-3 down vehicles are. When guys start calling up it creates to many callers and confuses thing.

Vehicles calling down must identify what they are, unless they are a logging truck. In BC it is assumed that every vehicle is a logging truck unless specified. If your a pickup you say "pickup up at zero on the *******" a service truck will call what they are, a lowbed will call what they are but a logging truck will just say "down at 32"

Basically there are only 2 jobs for "up" traffic. Shut the fawk up and get out of the fawking way". That is in laymans terms.

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calling procedure's in the vast majority of BC are slightly different than the sign posted. Not sure how old that sign is. Basically its real simple

Call when entering a new roadway ie pickup up at zero on the *********

when "up" after this only call "must calls" the road marker sign will say must call. Other than that keep quiet and make sure to clear all down traffic with time to spare. The reason for silence for the up traffic is simply to keep the radios from to much chatter. If every up vehicle calls their KM's there is way to much going on and creates more hazards than it helps

When coming down you call every 2nd KM. IE pickup down at 32. There is no need to call the name of the road unless either there is more than one road using the channel or its your first call down on the road.

To much radio talk is as bad as not enough. Vehicles going up must have a radar scan going in their head, they much know where the next 2-3 down vehicles are. When guys start calling up it creates to many callers and confuses thing.

Vehicles calling down must identify what they are, unless they are a logging truck. In BC it is assumed that every vehicle is a logging truck unless specified. If your a pickup you say "pickup up at zero on the *******" a service truck will call what they are, a lowbed will call what they are but a logging truck will just say "down at 32"

Basically there are only 2 jobs for "up" traffic. Shut the fawk up and get out of the fawking way". That is in laymans terms.

This seems to make sense to me...I have been following the protocol of the sign that Moyiesledhead posted earlier.

I would like to hear the opinions of some other truckers. Why is there a difference to what is posted on the signs as protocol and what some truckers actually practice. I have noticed many times there are logging trucks in the pullouts while we are calling Km DOWN and we have not heard anyone calling UP. This usually happens on Sunday night while some of the trucks are apparently heading to the camp way south in the Flathead.

Reactions: RGM

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do exactly what Stompin Tom posted, and so do all the other truckers. I call all the odd miles coming down.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do exactly what Stompin Tom posted, and so do all the other truckers. I call all the odd miles coming down.

calling odd miles or even miles depends on the region. PG area calls odd, Mackenzie, Vanderhoof, FSJames all call even. No real reason, other than what the mills publish in their safety guides

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This seems to make sense to me...I have been following the protocol of the sign that Moyiesledhead posted earlier.

I would like to hear the opinions of some other truckers. Why is there a difference to what is posted on the signs as protocol and what some truckers actually practice. I have noticed many times there are logging trucks in the pullouts while we are calling Km DOWN and we have not heard anyone calling UP. This usually happens on Sunday night while some of the trucks are apparently heading to the camp way south in the Flathead.

I think you will find variances in regions. Any FSR which has much traffic does not want the ups to call because of confussion. Let me ask you this common sense question, why are their MUST CALL signs if you are already calling them? I believe the person who wrote the posters that were put up here has never been on an actual road and has no idea why it is so dangerous for UP traffic to call.

You can always tell when a newbie is on a road because they call way to much, and will usually get told to shut up very quickly.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you recognize this place stompin Tom? I was told it was near Invermere. truck.jpg

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats your favorite radio Tom? Just like asking truckers because some of their trucks look like porcupines coming down the road. The oldest trucker i know is 78 years old and still hauling. You must know almost all of them.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats your favorite radio Tom? Just like asking truckers because some of their trucks look like porcupines coming down the road. The oldest trucker i know is 78 years old and still hauling. You must know almost all of them.

I run 2 Kenwoods. But really, Kenwood, Tad, Icom, they are all good now. Im not into programing on the fly, I would just screw it up and the Kenwoods treat me well, never had an issue with them.

Yeah, I know Joe, he should have retired years ago. Pretty much a hazard on the roads now.

Top Bottom