frozen def

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And tell me who are your sources? I am a master tech at our dealership that works on a great deal of aftertreatment issues btw.
Diesel R&D guys for GM. And a couple factory people in both the engine assy. facility and production line facilities. I have also gotten a lot of Allison info that dealers will never know about from a few engineers there as to what is coming down the pipe and why they have done some of things they do.

Dealer's only get part of the story most of the time from what I am told. Keeps loose lips and rumours from spreading too much. You can believe what you want. I'm inclined to believe what I have heard from people closer to the source.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not this month
Or ever apparently.
Are you aware that they Cali government is trying to force construction contractors to retrofit machines with emissions equipment now because they have nothing on them currently?

They currently have backed off and given a 2 year reprieve on this order but when it does come around it will be at an even higher standard. So ya, in some places, soon everything will be tested.

FWIW back to the DEF and emissions topic, I know of several people that have passed emissions testing in both the US and Canada with no functioning emissions systems. Some stock appearing for those that require a visual inspection, some not for those that didn't. It's all in the tuning. Emissions equipment is BS!!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are trucks coming through our shop all the time that were recently inspected that shouldn't have passed. All that means is the inspector missed it or it was his buddy or whatever. Doesn't mean a thing. I have my inspection license too. But I am not perfect and I do let some things slide. So is everyone else. But I do agree. The emissions are bs. They need to come up with something else. I enjoy the fact that now we can start a truck in the shop without killing everyone. As bad as this crap is to deal with that fact cannot be denied. Btw we also have a house in Bakersfield lol

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if it's one other good thing it puts money in your pocket right? :whoo:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
DEF has nothing to do with the dpf or regens. DEF fluid is misted into the exhaust stream which causes a chemical reaction that reduces harmful NOx into nitrogen and water.

These systems are engineered to run correctly and they do if you take the time to learn about how they work and to properly use them. It's not a bad idea to leave the system alone. I can't stand when I see some clown in a jacked up diesel truck blowing black soot all over the place, they have no clue that all that black is Unburned fuel being wasted out their tail pipe.
From what I was told it helps aid in the cleaning of the dpf and catalyst systems during active regenerations. I have taken the time to learn from personal experience that anything colder then -20 and the DEF system is complete garbage. The air is so dense in the cold your intercooler is so effective at cooling the compressed air that the intake air temperature is dropped substantially giving everything a cleaner burn. See a diesel smoke up black in cold temperatures? Probably not that often comparing to warm climates. It's a bad idea to put the DEF system on vehicles, big rigs, generators, and heavy equipment. Change tuning, change injectors, turbo's, something to get better fuel mileage instead of creating more restrictions.

I own an LBZ duramax, I tune my own vehicle with EFI live. It's amazing the performance, fuel economy and the functionality you can do with the simplest changes. Change that would be a piss in the ocean to the manufactures.

Bigger injectors push more fuel in shorter times. Run a 60% over injector, shorten the pulse width and change the timing for closer to top dead centre of piston travel for more throttle response, better combustion(power), and more fuel economy.

Twin turbo's(compound), smaller conpressor pushing into the larger turbo, smaller spools faster and feed the larger helping it spool up, decreasing turbo lag, decreasing exhaust temperatures, increased amount of air flow. Ultimately lowering wear with lower exhaust temperatures, increasing fuel economy, more power, and better drive ability. Saving more money and reducing waste from repairs and lowering manufacturing.

straighy pipe, reducing exhaust restrictions so the motor doesn't work to push out its waste gasses. I'm fine with having a cat, or DPF if it can flow as much as a 5" straight pipe when they're plugged up. I love the smell of the exhaust from a diesel with them.

Intake, stock filter intake and manifolds are often restrictive, simple fix, cold air intake is proactive for better economy and air flow. AFE dry filters, no oil, can be blown out, good idea.

Exhaust, on my LBZ, the drivers side manifold was designed by the engineers to have a pinch (reduced flow by 35% some say) by the intermediate steering shaft for "clearance". The stock downpipe was a mess of pinches bulges and probably the most restrictive piece. Simple 3" tubing to increase flow reduce manufacturing costs and improve throttle response in correlation with supporting mods.

DSP5 Switch, I made 4 tunes, each position of the switch is a different tune for different conditions, position 1 improved stock, 2 economy, 3 light tow, 4 heavy tow, 5 performance. Pretty self explanatory, stock tune won't tow a heavy load like a tune designed for towing. You'd have higher emissions, fuel consumption, and reduced engine performance. Same as the tow tune being used as a daily driver, you won't get as much fuel economy, or drive ability. There's no one tune fits all.

If anyone read all this kudos to you. End of rant.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Ippielb, should get you to do a tune on my LLY. The one I got kinda sucks and I just haven't had the time or patience to learn how to adjust things on EFI. Started to one day but by the time I figured out how to do it and learn a few things I ran out of time.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ippielb, should get you to do a tune on my LLY. The one I got kinda sucks and I just haven't had the time or patience to learn how to adjust things on EFI. Started to one day but by the time I figured out how to do it and learn a few things I ran out of time.
I have done the exact same thing, I have had my EFI live since 2009, got big into it off the bat, worked too much, forgot how to do it, updates came out changed some stuff, got into it again, forgot again, then last year I got into it again and made my tunes and haven't really played around much since. I have been wanting to get back into it since I have a few things I want to put on my truck. wanting to buy twin turbo's, but I have larger charge tubes, high flow y bridge, tune for my methanol injection, and tune my Allison since I have a race transmission I can make it more interesting. I do have a lope on my tow tune that I can't figure out, sounds like it's got a cam on it. Not good for injection pump.

by far the best thing I did with efi live was the dsp5 switch. Change your tune on the fly for whatever your doing. That and changing the vane position at idle helps with warm ups for cold weather.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I was told it helps aid in the cleaning of the dpf and catalyst systems during active regenerations. I have taken the time to learn from personal experience that anything colder then -20 and the DEF system is complete garbage. The air is so dense in the cold your intercooler is so effective at cooling the compressed air that the intake air temperature is dropped substantially giving everything a cleaner burn. See a diesel smoke up black in cold temperatures? Probably not that often comparing to warm climates. It's a bad idea to put the DEF system on vehicles, big rigs, generators, and heavy equipment. Change tuning, change injectors, turbo's, something to get better fuel mileage instead of creating more restrictions.

I own an LBZ duramax, I tune my own vehicle with EFI live. It's amazing the performance, fuel economy and the functionality you can do with the simplest changes. Change that would be a piss in the ocean to the manufactures.

Bigger injectors push more fuel in shorter times. Run a 60% over injector, shorten the pulse width and change the timing for closer to top dead centre of piston travel for more throttle response, better combustion(power), and more fuel economy.

Twin turbo's(compound), smaller conpressor pushing into the larger turbo, smaller spools faster and feed the larger helping it spool up, decreasing turbo lag, decreasing exhaust temperatures, increased amount of air flow. Ultimately lowering wear with lower exhaust temperatures, increasing fuel economy, more power, and better drive ability. Saving more money and reducing waste from repairs and lowering manufacturing.

straighy pipe, reducing exhaust restrictions so the motor doesn't work to push out its waste gasses. I'm fine with having a cat, or DPF if it can flow as much as a 5" straight pipe when they're plugged up. I love the smell of the exhaust from a diesel with them.

Intake, stock filter intake and manifolds are often restrictive, simple fix, cold air intake is proactive for better economy and air flow. AFE dry filters, no oil, can be blown out, good idea.

Exhaust, on my LBZ, the drivers side manifold was designed by the engineers to have a pinch (reduced flow by 35% some say) by the intermediate steering shaft for "clearance". The stock downpipe was a mess of pinches bulges and probably the most restrictive piece. Simple 3" tubing to increase flow reduce manufacturing costs and improve throttle response in correlation with supporting mods.

DSP5 Switch, I made 4 tunes, each position of the switch is a different tune for different conditions, position 1 improved stock, 2 economy, 3 light tow, 4 heavy tow, 5 performance. Pretty self explanatory, stock tune won't tow a heavy load like a tune designed for towing. You'd have higher emissions, fuel consumption, and reduced engine performance. Same as the tow tune being used as a daily driver, you won't get as much fuel economy, or drive ability. There's no one tune fits all.

Best post so far.
I've been using EFI since '06. It has come a long way since then and like yourself I have done lots forgotten lots and relearned everything a couple times but it's an amazing tool. Not for amatures that's for sure!!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What sort of mods do you have done to your truck? Gauges etc.
I may have a tune or two you can try depending on your mods.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Awsome post...

Merc still knows all, don't waist ur time
Best post so far.
I've been using EFI since '06. It has come a long way since then and like yourself I have done lots forgotten lots and relearned everything a couple times but it's an amazing tool. Not for amatures that's for sure!!
Best part is ur secret tune.... Truck will be there when u get back

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yup. Anti theft tuning is handy.
I have autoconnect hooked up with my command start. GPS tracking, remote control so I can see where my truck is, if someone tries to steal it I can turn it off on them and basically set up controls from my phone. I'd be interested in seeing what you got with your tune though.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It's a no run tune lol
That's interesting. Probably a few ways to do that in tuning. Probably some ways hurt the truck lol.

Heres a few commands I can do on my truck. Kill the starter so you can't start it until you activate it back on. Then there's valet mode and 6 auxiliary commands to hook up to accessories.
5C0DFB59-65C1-48CD-9185-DF46B775C265.png

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have autoconnect hooked up with my command start. GPS tracking, remote control so I can see where my truck is, if someone tries to steal it I can turn it off on them and basically set up controls from my phone. I'd be interested in seeing what you got with your tune though.
It's pretty simple. I have a dsp2 switch hidden in the truck. The base tune is my Daily Driver and my second tune simply has my mm3 set to 0 across all tables. This supplies no fuel at all so it will crank but never fire. There are a few different ways to do this in the tune but this is the one I chose.
If one was to install a DSP5 switch, which I am going to do, then you can have several limiting tunes including a valet one that limits speed and rpm so the valet, body shop, tire guy can't hotrod around like on Ferris Bueler!

Problem with lojack, autoarm, and other similar track and disable devices is that thieves know about them and how to quickly disable them. It's better than nothing, and an amateur may be foiled, but my way chances are slim they will find the switch if they even know to look and without swapping the ecm, you aren't driving it. Towing is the only way.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It's pretty simple. I have a dsp2 switch hidden in the truck. The base tune is my Daily Driver and my second tune simply has my mm3 set to 0 across all tables. This supplies no fuel at all so it will crank but never fire. There are a few different ways to do this in the tune but this is the one I chose.
If one was to install a DSP5 switch, which I am going to do, then you can have several limiting tunes including a valet one that limits speed and rpm so the valet, body shop, tire guy can't hotrod around like on Ferris Bueler!

Problem with lojack, autoarm, and other similar track and disable devices is that thieves know about them and how to quickly disable them. It's better than nothing, and an amateur may be foiled, but my way chances are slim they will find the switch if they even know to look and without swapping the ecm, you aren't driving it. Towing is the only way.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing was putting every table to 0, but the theif would crank it over until battery dies sure you'd still have your truck. But my starter kill option on my autoconnect is by far my favourite.

i have my dsp5 switch hanging out in the little cubby. Haven't decided where to put it yet. Only problem having a no run tune, it takes up a spot in my switch lol. It's fun having 5 different options. Don't have to bring the scan tune tool around with me.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't change tunes much. Tow, DD, race, winter DD, and anti theft are all the tunes I run. With a couple others I played with to try and dial in the tuning on my old turbo. For the two minutes it takes to change it when I needed to I never needed more. Kind of helped that I still have a stock trans I suppose too lol.

I always have my laptop or at least my V2. Just because....

Last edited:
Top Bottom