frozen def

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2014 ford 350 dually...says the truck is outta def but frozen when open the cap, so unable to put any more in! Tried chisling a hole with a flathead screw driver to get some in but frozen solid...anyone else had this problem..or any suggestions

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
my 13 cummins had that issue last year, only thing you can do is get it into a heated shop and let it thaw out, or run the truck until it "defrosts" itself.

wound up getting a new DEF heater & Pump under warranty on mine.

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2014 ford 350 dually...says the truck is outta def but frozen when open the cap, so unable to put any more in! Tried chisling a hole with a flathead screw driver to get some in but frozen solid...anyone else had this problem..or any suggestions

have exact same truck...exact same problem...had to leave it over night in warm shop to defrost.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford and dodge haven't fixed this issue yet? I know GM had this problem too but they sent out a recall when the def trucks first came out. I haven't had any issues since then... That was 2011 I think. Def is just water with some ammonia mixed in I think.

Can You drive the truck?? These trucks aren't meant for short trips to the grocery store, especially in this weather. Let it idle, the def heater should melt it and get the system going.

If the fill is frozen then your tank was full and expanded to the fill opening as it froze?

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've had it running for about 3 hours now and still hasn't thawed out the heating mechanism must be Pooched...just going to send him to the shop and get it replaced one of the work truck so should be under warranty thanks for the info boys

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But also change the chemistry of the DEF. These trucks are pretty sensitive to that chit. I wouldn't try that.

That's what i was thinking..one of my guys on site suggested that but i said not to pour anything in the tank that isnt suppose to be there...

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't pour anything into the tank. There is a sensor that tests the chemistry of the def and it will go off putting the truck into limp mode. If the heater is done, it should be throwing a code.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO DEF EVER!!!!!!ALSO DO NOT PUT ANY CRYSTALLIZED DEF BACK INTO THE TANK!! The tank heater is not working so you need to get it to the dealer.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would bet the heater is working ( CEL and wrench lights would most likely be on.) the crappy thing is that there's no heater in the fill line. The heater is in the center of the tank under the truck it will never get warm enough to thaw the def filler. Your only hope is get it some where warm and as long as there is def in the tank the truck will run fine. Or get a heat gun or hair dryer and heat the filler under the box side down to the tank.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Did the deletes on my truck for reasons like this , couldn't imagine coming back to my truck after a day of riding and it be frozen or go to leave for a trip and it be frozen
Can't let stuff like this stop me from riding haha

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the deletes on my truck for reasons like this , couldn't imagine coming back to my truck after a day of riding and it be frozen or go to leave for a trip and it be frozen
Can't let stuff like this stop me from riding haha

Lol, you must be one hell of a die hard to be out sledding when it's cold enough for your DEF to freeze!

Edit: I just googled the freezing point of DEF. It starts freezing at only -11C!

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Lol, you must be one hell of a die hard to be out sledding when it's cold enough for your DEF to freeze!

Edit: I just googled the freezing point of DEF. It starts freezing at only -11C!

was out riding on Saturday... it was cold, but it was a tonne of fun...... that said left the Dodge sit at Go-Vertical's place not plugged in from 10am - 6:30 pm, she fired right up, no DEF error's nothing.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whoDEANie; Edit: I just googled the freezing point of DEF. It starts freezing at only -11C![/QUOTE said:
We've had that problem with our kenworths, we were thinking of adding an extra heater to the tank, but we decided to try wrapping the tank in that foil insulation. This seemed to do the trick, we had trucks hauling Rock trucks up to Inuvik and Tuk last winter, and no freeze ups. If you can access your def tank, maybe give that a try.

Sent from my iPad

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could always use a small heat tape up the fill line.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It says right in the owners manual not to overfill the def for this very reason, the heater is in the tank, not on the fill line,

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe this is why gm put the fill line under the hood so engine heat would thaw the line out if needed. Makes sense now.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe this is why gm put the fill line under the hood so engine heat would thaw the line out if needed. Makes sense now.

that makes sense for sure but why there def tank almost drags on the ground is another question to be answered

Top Bottom