frozen def

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that makes sense for sure but why there def tank almost drags on the ground is another question to be answered

Yep they should have made it shorter height wise and made it longer for the same volume.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep they should have made it shorter height wise and made it longer for the same volume.
Better yet somebody should have told the EPA to shove their emissions up their a$$es and never put that crap on in the first place!
Recently it just came out that the scientist's were wrong with their figures and there really was no need to restrict the diesel for emissions in they way they have.

Toro

Reaction score
Better yet somebody should have told the EPA to shove their emissions up their a$$es and never put that crap on in the first place!
Recently it just came out that the scientist's were wrong with their figures and there really was no need to restrict the diesel for emissions in they way they have.
All 3 of my Freightliners are pre-emission trucks and when they are done so am I, no DEF, no burner, no bs, just solid reliable hard working (money making) trucks.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i did some research and found on a few threads that in the cold temperature when shutting of the truck, turn key off so engine shuts off but no all the way for 60 sec..this allows all the fluid to drain from the fill tube back into tank. Its a water based liquid so when it does freeze it expands up to 10% so letting it drain allows for expansion. Not sure if its the solution but a good place to start..anyway the boys to ran it to dealership, they just replaced the heater being everything still under warranty...but will be trying the key trick from now on...thanks for all the help fellas!

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
So i did some research and found on a few threads that in the cold temperature when shutting of the truck, turn key off so engine shuts off but no all the way for 60 sec..this allows all the fluid to drain from the fill tube back into tank. Its a water based liquid so when it does freeze it expands up to 10% so letting it drain allows for expansion. Not sure if its the solution but a good place to start..anyway the boys to ran it to dealership, they just replaced the heater being everything still under warranty...but will be trying the key trick from now on...thanks for all the help fellas!

This makes NO sense. What does the key have to do with the FILL tube? Ya lost me with this one.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Best thing, delete that stupid def and DPF filter. def fluid is actually injected into the exhaust post turbo to help burn off the impurities from the DPF filter to reduce the amount of "Regeneration" processes you have to do. def fluid is mainly made from urea which is one of the main components of piss.

I'm still thinking you should do yourself the favour and delete the def fluid, DPF filter, cat converter, and muffler. Watch your fuel mileage increase by a few miles per gallon.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Best thing, delete that stupid def and DPF filter. def fluid is actually injected into the exhaust post turbo to help burn off the impurities from the DPF filter to reduce the amount of "Regeneration" processes you have to do. def fluid is mainly made from urea which is one of the main components of piss.

I'm still thinking you should do yourself the favour and delete the def fluid, DPF filter, cat converter, and muffler. Watch your fuel mileage increase by a few miles per gallon.

not until I'm off warranty thanks.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
not until I'm off warranty thanks.
Oh never knew you were still on warranty. If that's the case I'd definitely try the insulation around the tank. I don't know what a guy could do about it freezing in the lines. I'm still glad my truck is pre emmissions like that even at work. All our new loaders are DEF and some tadems as well. It always frozen, those ones don't throw codes. I went a couple weeks without the gauge moving.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

DEF has nothing to do with the dpf or regens. DEF fluid is misted into the exhaust stream which causes a chemical reaction that reduces harmful NOx into nitrogen and water.

These systems are engineered to run correctly and they do if you take the time to learn about how they work and to properly use them. It's not a bad idea to leave the system alone. I can't stand when I see some clown in a jacked up diesel truck blowing black soot all over the place, they have no clue that all that black is Unburned fuel being wasted out their tail pipe.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DEF has nothing to do with the dpf or regens. DEF fluid is misted into the exhaust stream which causes a chemical reaction that reduces harmful NOx into nitrogen and water.

These systems are engineered to run correctly and they do if you take the time to learn about how they work and to properly use them. It's not a bad idea to leave the system alone. I can't stand when I see some clown in a jacked up diesel truck blowing black soot all over the place, they have no clue that all that black is Unburned fuel being wasted out their tail pipe.
These systems are engineered to run correctly in the lower 48 and in areas where the temps rarely go below 0 - like California - where all the emissions stuff pretty much originates from. These systems are probably one of the top 3 things diesel trucks go in for under warranty and the top 3 things diesel owners modify/delete from their trucks just to keep them running and improve mileage. For those that never leave the city I'm sure it isn't too big of an issue for you to take yours to the dealer for warranty. But for the rest of us that use them for work and way up north or out of town, this is a HUGE inconvenience and costs money and time many can't afford when they are down. And in some cases dangerous when they shut your truck down and leave you stranded.
As far as the black smoke I agree to an extent. It is wasted fuel. FYI it is possible to tune a diesel to run very fast with almost no smoke with all that stuff deleted. This is a 9.80 1/4 mile with huge turbos and injectors but no smoke once it spools:
http://youtu.be/4FDF1GNtCvw

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These systems are engineered to run correctly in the lower 48 and in areas where the temps rarely go below 0 - like California - where all the emissions stuff pretty much originates from. These systems are probably one of the top 3 things diesel trucks go in for under warranty and the top 3 things diesel owners modify/delete from their trucks just to keep them running and improve mileage. For those that never leave the city I'm sure it isn't too big of an issue for you to take yours to the dealer for warranty. But for the rest of us that use them for work and way up north or out of town, this is a HUGE inconvenience and costs money and time many can't afford when they are down. And in some cases dangerous when they shut your truck down and leave you stranded.
As far as the black smoke I agree to an extent. It is wasted fuel. FYI it is possible to tune a diesel to run very fast with almost no smoke with all that stuff deleted. This is a 9.80 1/4 mile with huge turbos and injectors but no smoke once it spools:
http://youtu.be/4FDF1GNtCvw

LBZ. The greatest Duramax ever made.

I have a LML duramax that I use for a living, never had an issue with the emissions equipment, 150,000km on it now, it runs great and doesn't smoke out the whole neighbourhood like my older 5.9 cummins when it idles up on a cold winter day. I would like better mileage though! Ideally I wouldn't want all this crap on the truck, but we have to talk a serious look at our environment and realize we have to make some changes for the better.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LBZ. The greatest Duramax ever made.

I have a LML duramax that I use for a living, never had an issue with the emissions equipment, 150,000km on it now, it runs great and doesn't smoke out the whole neighbourhood like my older 5.9 cummins when it idles up on a cold winter day. I would like better mileage though! Ideally I wouldn't want all this crap on the truck, but we have to talk a serious look at our environment and realize we have to make some changes for the better.
So the 5-8 mpg better mpg u would get added up, would trump the emissions u put out

Think of what it takes to get, make, sell diesel ect

All the emissions that it took to make gallon of diesel

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the 5-8 mpg better mpg u would get added up, would trump the emissions u put out

Think of what it takes to get, make, sell diesel ect

All the emissions that it took to make gallon of diesel

I am sure some very smart guys already took this into consideration.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I did all the deletes and chips on my old 2011 ram 3500 when it only had 10000 Kim's. Mileage and power increase were incredible ... My dealer said no problem with any warranty work, unless it was found to be caused by the delete components ... No worries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure some very smart guys already took this into consideration.
Ya no. Maybe if you long haul a lot it would reduce emissions but for the amount of regens I have seen city driving and work trucks and trucks in cold climates with more idling have to do compounded with the poor fuel mileage it is nowhere closer to being less harmful to the environment considering the truck that has to haul the fuel, energy and emissions from the refinery, fuel burned by the production and drilling operations just to get the extra fuel out of the ground. Not to mention the cost of building the emissions components and the materials used and waste afterwards from the discarded components.
I did all the deletes and chips on my old 2011 ram 3500 when it only had 10000 Kim's. Mileage and power increase were incredible ... My dealer said no problem with any warranty work, unless it was found to be caused by the delete components ... No worries

This is how most dealers work. Just need to inquire with the service guys.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
So true... Get to know someone at the dealer or talk with a service manager or asst manager or even a service writer ..... They'll often go a further distance if you befriend them.... Human nature

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya no. Maybe if you long haul a lot it would reduce emissions but for the amount of regens I have seen city driving and work trucks and trucks in cold climates with more idling have to do compounded with the poor fuel mileage it is nowhere closer to being less harmful to the environment considering the truck that has to haul the fuel, energy and emissions from the refinery, fuel burned by the production and drilling operations just to get the extra fuel out of the ground. Not to mention the cost of building the emissions components and the materials used and waste afterwards from the discarded components.

This is how most dealers work. Just need to inquire with the service guys.
100%, well said

If I felt like teaching this merc person something I would have pretty much said same

But fawk it, he no's all... Obviously

Merc can Google it

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My work truck is a 2011 LML Silverado. I had zero problems related to emissions up to 194k then a heater element went in the DEF tank so I deleted. I keep a log book of all fills and maintenance and have yet to beat my best tank (11.5 l/100km) economy wise but can see that the average is about 10-12% better. IMO the tune, (H&S tow) is no better for economy it's just the loss of the regens. The truck stinks now with the cat and DPF gone.

Top Bottom