Front and back rack storage options

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, now that I have purchased my first quad, 2010 Sportsman 500, I am looking at options for rear cargo boxes. I went to the local dealer and they have the OEM one that clips on to the racking and is kind of slick. It is $220.00 but is a little on the small side I think. I was at Rec Supply in Saskatoon the other day as well and they have mostly 2 up style boxes and I'm not really looking for that. The other thing they had was the canvas storage bags. Any one running these? I was thinking they would always be wet and muddy, and so would the gear inside.

So I was thinking hard plastic box for the back and I have seen the wire basket style storage that I though might work good on the front for putting items like gas cans, chainsaw etc. in.

Any thoughts / Pictures of your set up?

Thanks.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, now that I have purchased my first quad, 2010 Sportsman 500, I am looking at options for rear cargo boxes. I went to the local dealer and they have the OEM one that clips on to the racking and is kind of slick. It is $220.00 but is a little on the small side I think. I was at Rec Supply in Saskatoon the other day as well and they have mostly 2 up style boxes and I'm not really looking for that. The other thing they had was the canvas storage bags. Any one running these? I was thinking they would always be wet and muddy, and so would the gear inside.

So I was thinking hard plastic box for the back and I have seen the wire basket style storage that I though might work good on the front for putting items like gas cans, chainsaw etc. in.

Any thoughts / Pictures of your set up?

Thanks.

Stay away from the bags, rippers won't work after the first mud hole, big waste of money, i don't like the second seat arm rest style either, always in the way. I used a large hard plastic box from peavy mart on my suzuki, worked well, added some weather strip to keep water out

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the bags, rippers won't work after the first mud hole, big waste of money, i don't like the second seat arm rest style either, always in the way. I used a large hard plastic box from peavy mart on my suzuki, worked well, added some weather strip to keep water out
Rippers eh...... Didn't know u brought them with u

It costs enough to go to the peelers, can't imagine how much it would cost in the bush

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Sportsman Lock and Ride boxes are pretty slick as long as you're not riding too aggressively. If you're an aggressive rider at all, you'll find these things just won't last since they only have 2 anchor points. Most of the people I ride with, lose their Lock and Ride boxes almost every trip.

If you're looking at bags, I think Ogio is the way to go. Stay away from anything that has a zipper! Ogio bags have a lifetime warranty and are waterproof as long as you don't go in deeper than the lid of the bag. While they are pretty durable, the velcro straps that hold them to your racks never last for me so I have to use bungies to hold the bags down - works good but becomes a PITA if you need into your bag frequently. In the end I gave up my bags and went to a hard box.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Polaris lock and ride that came with my quad. Works pretty good, never lost it but I cranked the mounts up pretty tight when I put it on. Works well as a backrest for the few times I have a passenger too. Pretty steep at $250 for what it is though imo.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My set ups the box aren't the big one but enough space for what we need and a little cushion to sit back when stopping for a break on the trail. Little bit of a pain in the ass to fill with gas tho as the gas cap is at back beside seat on the king quads
2014-06-26 12.09.16.jpg

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have discovered the selection in Saskatoon sucks! I found a decent box for the back at the Yamaha dealer for $170.00. I have also noticed all the box mounts are designed to fit tube racks unlike what is on the Polaris. That won't be a big issue, I can figure something out. Can anyone recommend an online vender that is in Canada that would have a better selection than what I am able to find locally?

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Ogio bag after trying all sorts of hard boxes and this thing is holding up great. After two seasons it is still like new and I go through a lot of mud. Hope this helps.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have discovered the selection in Saskatoon sucks! I found a decent box for the back at the Yamaha dealer for $170.00. I have also noticed all the box mounts are designed to fit tube racks unlike what is on the Polaris. That won't be a big issue, I can figure something out. Can anyone recommend an online vender that is in Canada that would have a better selection than what I am able to find locally?

Try Rocky Mountain ATV. Here's a link to the box that Crow shows in his picture. Kimpex Cargo Deluxe Rear Trunk | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I have this box on both of my quads now and like them quite a bit. I find them to have lots of room and hold up really well.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Kimpex-Outback for my 850 last weekend and like it alot. It extends the seat so my daughter can ride along, or you can remove the bottom cushion for a single rider. Has plenty of storage, with a 4.7L jerry can holder on the back, I rigged it up using the polaris lock and ride latches. I will post some pictures later today.

PetroMan

Reaction score
Another option is to buy 4 of the lock and ride anchors off ebay and mount just about any box you like on your rack. Just drill your own holes in your box, I took my rack off and then could use it as its own template to mark holes. Use either big washers or steal type plates for backers inside the box to prevent your lock and ride clamps from ripping through your box. Now you have to many choices, I used a quad box from Canadian tire on mine.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think buying / building some anchors for the racks would be the way to go. Saw some on ebay when I followed the link to the box in earlier post. If I go that route, I can put any box I like on and it will give more options. Here is one I was looking at in the city today, anyone running one of these?

North Coast Outdoor Rigid Rear Cargo Box | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

nor_13_rig_rea_car_box-blk.jpg

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the box I mounted, it has plenty of room,.. even if you don't get the seat model.

Attachments

• rear box.jpg
    rear box.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 100

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those big trunks are ok if you sit down all the time. I pack light and have rigged the skidoo Linq snowmobile bag on my renny. . It's awesome. Take it off at the end of the day and dry it over night. I was water wheeling last week in a deep hole and my stuff stayed dry inside. It's kinda small but I have a socket set. Screwdrivers. Channel locks. Wrenches. Hatchet. Folding saw. Tire pump/tire plugs. bug spray. Highlifter rad washer. Tow rope. And still can fit 4 water bottles in it. The zipper is covered And doesn't get muddy. Also you won't get rack ass when riding fast cause its a soft bag. Oh. And did I mention is says skidoo :)

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those big trunks are ok if you sit down all the time. I pack light and have rigged the skidoo Linq snowmobile bag on my renny. . It's awesome. Take it off at the end of the day and dry it over night. I was water wheeling last week in a deep hole and my stuff stayed dry inside. It's kinda small but I have a socket set. Screwdrivers. Channel locks. Wrenches. Hatchet. Folding saw. Tire pump/tire plugs. bug spray. Highlifter rad washer. Tow rope. And still can fit 4 water bottles in it. The zipper is covered And doesn't get muddy. Also you won't get rack ass when riding fast cause its a soft bag. Oh. And did I mention is says skidoo :)

Uh, missing something pretty important. ...where do you put your beer?!?!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uh, missing something pretty important. ...where do you put your beer?!?!

Lol well. When I ride alone I don't stop much and water will do. When I ride with a group or my brother I stick the beers in there giant trunk or side x side

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another for the kimpex deluxe. Its got a rest on the back for the occasional 2 up.Not too big ,can strap a saw or anything on top.Not too wide so you can add a flat pack for extra fuel on the sides.Mounting on my composite rack outlander was easy 4 bolts thru the rack and its not going too fall off.It does let dust in but that's an easy fix with 3/4" self adhesive weather strip.I used to have the kimpex outback but don't like the arm rests protruding into my elbows.
IMG_6164.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom