Forster Snow conditions

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they running the groomer right down to the road where it forks to get to staging or is it rutted all to SH!T and harry round the corners like usual?

Love the lakes... like keeperswilly said, downhill carving is epic in this area...

I have never been to the 2nd staging area if there is such a thing, heard it's not nearly as crazy to get up as the other one, good for big trailers. Think i heard at the main road thats well used prolly for logging you turn there and head that way rather than going straight through if you were coming from radium.

Anyone have any idea bout that one ?

??? Ya confused me there bud? Is the second staging area you are referring to the one at the corner just by the bridge? The first one being the one up by the pay shack at the last cut block? The staging area by the bridge means you do not have to climb the hill on the other side of the bridge, if its icy that one can be a little tricky. We just stage at the bridge, the road is usually rutted.... :D

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hang a right at the stop sign at km 9, keep goin till you hit a great big plowed out parking lot, dog leg lake or something it's called, nice big parking lot, trail comes out right at the bridge before the pay shack

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they running the groomer right down to the road where it forks to get to staging or is it rutted all to SH!T and harry round the corners like usual?

Love the lakes... like keeperswilly said, downhill carving is epic in this area...

I have never been to the 2nd staging area if there is such a thing, heard it's not nearly as crazy to get up as the other one, good for big trailers. Think i heard at the main road thats well used prolly for logging you turn there and head that way rather than going straight through if you were coming from radium.

Anyone have any idea bout that one ?

This is Dog Leg Lake staging area. Better road, more parking but a little extra riding time.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
??? Ya confused me there bud? Is the second staging area you are referring to the one at the corner just by the bridge? The first one being the one up by the pay shack at the last cut block? The staging area by the bridge means you do not have to climb the hill on the other side of the bridge, if its icy that one can be a little tricky. We just stage at the bridge, the road is usually rutted.... :D

Thx MM, PD, Hugh. Exactly what i was talking about, Never been to this bridge always gone up pretty much right to the pay shack by truck where there is a small bridge. The road is pretty much instant off the main logging road and a pretty good incline, lots of speed, good tires and 4 wheel driver required most times. At one point they ran the groomer all the way down this road and took out all the runs that will make a regular truck scrape bottom. I'm going to turn right next time for this larger staging area.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great day up there sun! socked in, but the pow was goooooooood!:d:d

Attachments

• P1010988.jpg
    P1010988.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 232
  • P1010990.jpg
    P1010990.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 240
  • P1010991.jpg
    P1010991.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010993.jpg
    P1010993.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010995.jpg
    P1010995.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 236

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics DHB!

What is the staging and grooming situation looking like lately? We're going to try to get in there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
PB

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics DHB!

What is the staging and grooming situation looking like lately? We're going to try to get in there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
PB

Its all good! They have been plowing road up to staging areas when it gets too built up. Havent had a super whooped up trail yet this season, and been in there over 15 times prob. May not be a bad idea to have chains if your pulling a big trailer, just in case the first hill once you leave radium is icy. On sun it was a complete sheet of ice! (had rained all night sat)

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all good! They have been plowing road up to staging areas when it gets too built up. Havent had a super whooped up trail yet this season, and been in there over 15 times prob. May not be a bad idea to have chains if your pulling a big trailer, just in case the first hill once you leave radium is icy. On sun it was a complete sheet of ice! (had rained all night sat)

Right on - and thanks for the reply! We've been in Forster a few times in the years past and that first hill can be a butt-clencher...LOL

The guys maintaining that road deserve a thank you -I have eves seen them gravel that first couple switchbacks and climbs when it's sketchy.

cheers!

PB

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and some buds will be coming up to Panorama for the first time this weekend. Sounds like it can be a scary drive up to the Forster staging area. We will be pulling a 28' enclosed, should we be looking to go somewhere else in the area to ride?

Thanks, Trench:d

tchom983

Reaction score
Me and some buds will be coming up to Panorama for the first time this weekend. Sounds like it can be a scary drive up to the Forster staging area. We will be pulling a 28' enclosed, should we be looking to go somewhere else in the area to ride?

Thanks, Trench:d

Hit that first hill with some speed and you will NEED CHAINS. After that its pretty decent all the way up, especially once you get past the point where rain turned to snow. If you really are nervous about it, quartz has about the easiest staging area ever ha.

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have never needed chains pulling an enclosed going up there, this time could be different, but if you got cables I wouldnt let fear of the road stop you from enjoying forester, I'm leaving tonight riding forester tomorrow, I will let you know how the road is, but I can guarantee you there will be other enclosed trailers going up there saturday and sunday, I'll post later tomorrow

shellnekov

Reaction score
Will you miss the hill if you come over from Panorama on the Wilmer road? Trench is freakin out, dont wanna mess up the beauty rig he has.:d

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first hill there isnt usually that bad. That is by far the WORST I have ever seen it. This happened due to it raining hard all night sat and turned the snow covered road into one big SHEET of ice.
If you come from the panorama side taking westside road you will miss that hill. Although going the westside route does take a fair bit longer. That first hill is the worst, once your past it it is a fairly easy drive in. They have been plowing the road all season, so its a bit washboard but no huge ruts.
Probably will be up there one day this weekend, if ya see me say hi! Be on the green xp!:d:d

vic

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not going up that road (chains thread) pulling the 28'. All I have are the cables.

Trench:eek:
Was up last weekend with 27' Triton trailer,park at the water shed parking just before the bridge or go to westside rd dog lake parking.Easier climb coming in from Invermere than Radium .Road was ice due to the rain hard to walk around truck let alone drive. had super Z cable chains one set,getting set for front worked great on ice,have to remember to put them on before the climbing starts .Put on your cable chains and go easy worth the trip in.

shellnekov

Reaction score
We are staying at Panorama, which way would be best to get to Forster? Back to Radium or over via westside?

shellnekov

Reaction score
And as we are staying in Panorama we would do Paradise Basin, is it worth it?? Being its where the tours go, wondering if there is any challenge there. We are all advanced riders. With big iron.

Top Bottom