formula SS 1996 670 Spark Problem

shanelikesskidoos

Reaction score
Ok i just pulled my sled out from last year and been riding it for the last two days great. starts first pull everytime, But yesterday and today it has started acting up. Like if you start it in the morning with new plugs it will run great until you shut it off then it wants new plugs to start again, even though the plugs are fine, not flooded. For example i will start it up take it around the lake for half hr. runs great, awsome. But when i go to start it back up after i turn it off it gose down hill and dont want to start, But what really make me wonder is i was riding it tonight just fine and all of asudded it just died, didnt bog out just died, like i hit the kill switch, but i didnt. wouldnet let me start it back up, so i pulled the plugs out right there in the middel of the trail and tested them and they had no spark, but were burning just fine , nothing wet on them at all.... What is my problem???? Please help!!!!

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be your stator, owned one of those sleds before and had stator issues, btw still think this was one of the best looking sleds i owned.

Broz

Reaction score
We just went through this with a 1996 670 Summit. Start cold shut it off and would not start. Sometimes just died like hitting the kill. We had bought this sled recently and I power washed the entire sled on the way home (engine too) After 2 weeks what we found was if we moved the wires coming out of the CDI box it would start and if we moved them again it would die. We pulled the CDI box and cut open the cover over the wires right where they go into the box. No broken wires but foung moisture there. Blew it out with compressed air, then dried it completely with a hair dryer. Then sealed all the wires going into the box with a hot glue gun and taped. That fixed it.

I have seen this 2 times this year on 2 sleds. Just a wee bit of moisture in a CDI or EFI control and it is dead till dried out. It don't take much either, in one case I needed a magnifying glass to see the moisture.

Guess I will stop washing my sleds.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Top Bottom