Forester Creek / Silent Pass Conditions

vic

Reaction score
Planning a trip April 10th weekend to radium. Would appreciate any updates on the snow conditions as it gets closer to that date. Anyone else going that weekend? Thanks

girlluvshockey

Reaction score
Its not really close to the 10, but we were in there yesterday, there was about 6' of fresh, and not many tracks. How ever there was a dump of snow headed to Golden as we moved on to Revy. Not sure if it got that far South but pretty sure quartz got it.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We've been riding Silent quite reqularly, and should be there this weekend again. Will let you know what it's like. There has been some fresh snow in the mountains, but not as much in Radium as further North. It's been pretty warm and dry here. A bit of snow forecasted the rest of this week, the conditions last weekend were pretty good for Spring. Roads are getting pretty muddy. I would think that you'll have better conditions at Silent or Quartz over Forster, but you never know what'll happen by then. More area to ride at Silent or Quartz, easier to stay out of avy areas.
I'll post next week what's happening weatherwise around here.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the ground like in the valley bottom near Radium? Is it dry enough to dirt bike yet?

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's definitely dirtbiking going on around here. Friends of ours rode at the Badlands a couple weeks ago, they took the quad as it's VERY muddy down there right now, a bit too much for the bikes. The clay there is crazy slick. The valley bottom is very dry, most of the snow is gone. We haven't got our bikes out yet, but thinking about it. Just not ready to put the sleds away yet!

geordiep

Reaction score
Rode Silent Pass today. About a foot of fresh powder and blue bird all morning. I laid first tracks in every bowl. :d Awesome conditions for April. It started snowing at 3 PM.

I counted at least 50 truck & trailers head out west on my way back to Calgary. Its going to be a busy weekend.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode forester last weekend. Staged at the 20km bridge.
trail in was a mix of slush and gravel to 30 km, from there whoops all the way in.
white out on thunderwater.
looks like it's been dumping the last 2 days back that way.:d

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was going to hit Forester on Sunday...any log road reports. Must be unloading at km 25 at the top by now. Have'nt been there in two years any info would be appreciated.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
going tomorrow, toss up either Forester or Paradise.
I'll post all the pow pics tomorrow.:d

summitking

Reaction score
I'll be heading out to Forester this weekend too. Any updates would be great, thanks Pano.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Paradise, it was sweet. Doesn't get any better for the end of April
35+cms of fresh snow, I would guess Forester got more.
Snow stayed light all day, weather was overcast just enough to keep the sun off the hills.

Got 10 runs in on the snowboard, and a buncha playing on the sled in the meadows.
paradise09008.jpg
[/IMG]
paradise09017.jpg
[/IMG]
paradise09016.jpg
[/IMG]

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank's, we're leaving at 5:00 tomorrow. Is the glacier closed? Daughter wants to go to Olive Cabin.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The glacier is always closed as teamdirt says. If you've riden on it, you've been in the closed area. People don't respect the closure and ride where they want to...must be irritating for the groups trying to keep these areas open to snowmobiles and keep peace with the MOF. Areas that are tenured for heli-skiing open up for sleds after ski season in most places, but most of the glaciers are off-limits year round.
There's a big sign showing the closed areas, maybe stop and look at it sometime so you know. Most people think Catamount is part of the Forrester riding area, but no.:nono:

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The glacier is always closed as teamdirt says. If you've riden on it, you've been in the closed area. People don't respect the closure and ride where they want to...must be irritating for the groups trying to keep these areas open to snowmobiles and keep peace with the MOF. Areas that are tenured for heli-skiing open up for sleds after ski season in most places, but most of the glaciers are off-limits year round.
There's a big sign showing the closed areas, maybe stop and look at it sometime so you know. Most people think Catamount is part of the Forrester riding area, but no.:nono:

Is there any info online regarding the permanent closures and tenured closures between Toby and Spilly?

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More closed than it was? Which was not too much.

There has been talks and rumors in the air starting from early this season about the Ministry of Forests not allowing Forester to be groomed for the coming season by the club due to the amount of sledders disobeying the closures.

Won't be to fun sledding 46km of whoops cause some kids can't keep there hands out of the cookie jar....

As more and more areas become shut down it is up to us sledders to respect the environment and the rules set forth to ensure we have areas to still play in for the future.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been talks and rumors in the air starting from early this season about the Ministry of Forests not allowing Forester to be groomed for the coming season by the club due to the amount of sledders disobeying the closures.

Won't be to fun sledding 46km of whoops cause some kids can't keep there hands out of the cookie jar....

As more and more areas become shut down it is up to us sledders to respect the environment and the rules set forth to ensure we have areas to still play in for the future.

Guilty as charged but I have never been there when there wasn't dozens of sleds up on Catamount. Locals first showed us up there and if you ask, at least half the ones there at any given time are as well. All ages. Last time we were there some local sledders had spent the night in Olive hut, including the guy driving the groomer. One local even told us the restrictions had been unofficially eased a bit.:confused:

There is a lot of misinformation about this area floating around. Without the glaciers it would be a very small area.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guilty as charged but I have never been there when there wasn't dozens of sleds up on Catamount. Locals first showed us up there and if you ask, at least half the ones there at any given time are as well. All ages. Last time we were there some local sledders had spent the night in Olive hut, including the guy driving the groomer. One local even told us the restrictions had been unofficially eased a bit.:confused:

There is a lot of misinformation about this area floating around. Without the glaciers it would be a very small area.

:)It's not my area,But I would fined more Info.before they shutter down.all because a guy can't make a call,these day's you can find anything out:d:beer:
and its a little lame to be there cause some one else is.locals or not we all don't know everything about the area's.they don't post new closers near enough and I've seen first hand a map with it open and another with it closed,so its up to us.Im on the phone all the time about places Im after so I don't get in big trouble

2c:d

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Those are probably the same hooligans that stole my Superclamps, Oil and Gas from underneath my sled deck in the early winter and then proceeded to do doughnuts around my truck in the snow before they thought it would be real smart to drive right thru the snowmobile clubs fee collection hut on the way out and smash it into a million pieces. Real intelligent folk out there....

Top Bottom