Ford 6.4L head stud questions

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbour/friend just blew a head gasket on his 08 Ford 6.4L. Getting it tested to confirm, but he is being given some interesting information. Thought I would throw it out here to see what the general consensus is.

I asked if he would install ARP head studs if the gasket needs replacing and he said a known diesel shop told him not to. Reason being that once the studs are installed and engine run up to temp, everything needs to be taken off again and studs retorqued. I have never heard or read of this procedure having to be done!? True? False?

What should he be paying for just the head gasket install? He was given a quote from Ford that was beyond ridiculous. At a diesel shop here in Edmonton they have quoted $5,800.

If anyone has other shops/people they recommend, please post it up and I will let him know.

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done arp head studs on a 6.0 and never retorqed and it's still running strong. A couple of guys I know have done them on 6.4s as well and no retorques. I'm pretty sure arp doesn't recommend it unless special circumstances with fire rings and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First if its leaking coolant into the oil i would check the water pump as they leak into the crankcase when the seal lets go.

Second why wouldn't he call ARP directly and see what they recommend, they sell thousands of sets for the 6.4's they should know. But i could see the theory behind it, the stock torque to yield bolts act a bit like a spring and keep constant pressure on the gasket, where the ARP's might not if the gasket were to compress after being heat-cycled?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are "thousands" of 6.4's with this issue? I've been researching the 6.4 and 6.7 as I am in the market. I didn't find many issues on the interweeb regarding this issue ?
Can you elaborate ? Sorry not trying to hijack :(

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are "thousands" of 6.4's with this issue? I've been researching the 6.4 and 6.7 as I am in the market. I didn't find many issues on the interweeb regarding this issue ?

I am sure there have been thousands of headgaskets replaced on 6.4's, they aren't that uncommon to go, the water pump issue is also common if that is what you are referring to.

Edit: but lots of headstuds have been put in by guys for performance reasons too, they didn't blow headgakets as frequently as the 6.0's did.

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loss of heat in cab, puking out degas, he's pretty certain head gasket.

First if its leaking coolant into the oil i would check the water pump as they leak into the crankcase when the seal lets go.

Second why wouldn't he call ARP directly and see what they recommend, they sell thousands of sets for the 6.4's they should know. But i could see the theory behind it, the stock torque to yield bolts act a bit like a spring and keep constant pressure on the gasket, where the ARP's might not if the gasket were to compress after being heat-cycled?

Justinvr81

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2010 used in 2012 with 35000 kms, I deleted the emissions stuff at about 45000 because the fuel mileage was terrible. I have about 142000 on it now and the only problem I had was a belt tensioner fail. I have heard lots of horror story's about head gaskets and cavitation in water pumps causing erosion in the front covers, but so far so good for me, I'm happy with mine

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08's seemed to have the most issues. Job 2 and 3 trucks not so much. Lots of happy owners, even programmed, just need to get rid of pollution stuff and do regular maintenance. Had a respected diesel shop explain to me that most of the issues they see are from guys running hot programs and putting the boots to the pedal. Highly advanced timing, big boost, heat and a heavy foot. Even then you find lots and lots of owners running juiced up with no issues. I did tons of research too before purchasing my 09. Did all the deletes and run a mid level program. Runs strong, no issues, not bad mileage, love the truck. Neighbours 08 has had the usual 08 issues.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt tensioner here too, and the small 4x4 actuator solenoid. That's it (knock on wood). I make sure to keep water out of the fuel by changing filters regularly, doing the monthly drain, using good fuel and an additive the odd time. Never have I seen water come out the separator at a drain interval.

I bought a 2010 used in 2012 with 35000 kms, I deleted the emissions stuff at about 45000 because the fuel mileage was terrible. I have about 142000 on it now and the only problem I had was a belt tensioner fail. I have heard lots of horror story's about head gaskets and cavitation in water pumps causing erosion in the front covers, but so far so good for me, I'm happy with mine

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine's bread and butter is 6.0L and 6.4's. He won't put studs in them any more just the updated head bolts. He had too many trucks come back with blown headgaskets due to not retorquing.

finners

Reaction score
Loss of heat in cab, puking out degas, he's pretty certain head gasket.
I don't own a 6.4 but I know other engines can have these symptoms with a cracked egr cooler so maybe get him to test that before digging deeper

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Updated bolts for a 6.4L?

Buddy of mine's bread and butter is 6.0L and 6.4's. He won't put studs in them any more just the updated head bolts. He had too many trucks come back with blown headgaskets due to not retorquing.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coolers have been eliminated. That would have been a nice easy answer.

I don't own a 6.4 but I know other engines can have these symptoms with a cracked egr cooler so maybe get him to test that before digging deeper

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the input. He opted to get ARP studs installed.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smart choice. should not have any more head gasket problems unless he starts pushing some serious boost.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 F-350 ran an H&S on hot, daily, for 100,000km with zero issues. Sounds like his head gasket was just one of those cases that happens. With the ARP studs he'll likely never have issues again.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 F-350 ran an H&S on hot, daily, for 100,000km with zero issues. Sounds like his head gasket was just one of those cases that happens. With the ARP studs he'll likely never have issues again.

I know people talk about blown head gaskets on these trucks, but really it's not that common when you take into consideration the number of these trucks on the road. Spend enough time on the Powerstroke or H&S forum you see just how random the head gasket issue is. Must be trucks built on a Friday afternoon. Many run 40+Lbs of boost on hot tunes with no issues ever. Hope my trucks one of those!

Top Bottom