For those that don't carry a spot,inreach or sat phone why not?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You can rent sat phones from any sat phone company just about.

Since I have to add a disclaimer it seems now, before Lund determines I am suggesting that I am saying to rent a Sat phone and it will save you no matter what and it’s all you need because he gets triggered over a joke about rubbing two sticks together, I am just passing along info you can in fact rent these items. I saw someone else post you can rent gear still at MEC. Call and ask, it may not be listed on their site. Don’t say it’s for snowmobiling, you know, because it’s just better not to.

University’s with outdoor programs also used to rent gear. My first trips to the mountains I rented transceivers from UofC.

Once I hit send I remembered that some dealers were offering rental packs on gear. The old Bow Cycle in Calgary did. Not sure if new guys do. And Avalanche Safety Solutions in Golden does as well. Just put avalanche bag rental in the old google machine and you will find some answers.

what is the market for renting this type of gear? I've often considered buying a handful of setups and renting them out. Close to Edmonton, pick up on your way out, drop off on your way back.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is the market for renting this type of gear? I've often considered buying a handful of setups and renting them out. Close to Edmonton, pick up on your way out, drop off on your way back.

You would have to poll the users. Obviously there are companies doing it. Are there already dealers on the way West doing this? Maybe call around.

One thing I would be weary of though is you would be renting out “safety” equipment. Should someone have a false deployment of a bag or they can’t figure out how to use the gear you rented them, is there any liability that could be held against you? Just a thought, though some people on here don’t like people to think.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At mountain park we rented avy bags, with beacons, probes ect

Yes you would want to have a liability sheet signed off, saying it's packed and air is full, but deployment is still not a guarantee

Catrider16

Reaction score
After glancing through a few of these entries about making out door adventures more safe i found it interesting how some people quickly shut their door's and dismiss free given advice by highly trained experts in the field.
I guess in today's world of internet opinion's having "experience" comes only as an option but not "necessary". Personally even with my back ground, any genuine real world advice i'll gladly take and store it in my rucksack for a bad day.
I think if more would do that they would realize the value in it, instead of criticizing the approach given.

BTW, just in addition to this post i will relate what i carry.
- UHF 2 way radio
- Sat phone
- Garmin GPS, map loaded
- Compass
- Local 1:50,000 topo paper map.
- 35 years with CAF experience and training, inside my helmet.

Last edited:

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’ve thought about it too but nowadays every major sledding destination has at least one rental shop and they don’t charge much for safety gear. I took some flat landers to Revy before Christmas and a snopulse pack with beacon, probe and shovel was only $60/day if I remember correctly.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about it too but nowadays every major sledding destination has at least one rental shop and they don’t charge much for safety gear. I took some flat landers to Revy before Christmas and a snopulse pack with beacon, probe and shovel was only $60/day if I remember correctly.

What is the liability for renting safety devices?

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone wants to see what happens when they push sos. Lots of money to see what button does. who pays for the call out.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Removing my post for calling Moyie a snowflake but not removing his for calling me ignorant and uninformed? I thought i had good info and dialog until he got upset about my comment about spending lots on gear but not on communication. Please explain.

From Moyiesledhead (Man I'm getting tired of hearing that ignorant uninformed statement! :rant:)

Go easy folks. Personal attacks will be removed.
If it gets bad thread will be removed.

Let’s just have fun.

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel fortunate to be of an age where we grew up without most of the modern tech, no cell phones, no sat devices or what have you! We learned to be self reliant! Right from the time a guy was 10 or 11 years old riding dirt bikes or sleds, out hunting or whatever when something went wrong you had two choices, figure it out or walk home! It's a mindset that has served me well over the years,and sometimes I walked home! Once my brother and I hoofed it out 25 miles through the bush and bugs after a mechanical breakdown east of Cree lake sk!
that being said now I always carry a Inreach and radio and sure the hell wouldn't be without! I think most people have never really been involved in life threatening situations in the backcountry and really don't understand how quickly things can become deadly serious and how difficult rescue can be!
I think there are a lot of super capable individuals on here that can get themselves out of anything but there are also a lot that just haven't had the same opertunitys as some of the rest of us to learn these skills. Thankfully we can all benifit from the tech now available!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I feel fortunate to be of an age where we grew up without most of the modern tech, no cell phones, no sat devices or what have you! We learned to be self reliant! Right from the time a guy was 10 or 11 years old riding dirt bikes or sleds, out hunting or whatever when something went wrong you had two choices, figure it out or walk home! It's a mindset that has served me well over the years,and sometimes I walked home! Once my brother and I hoofed it out 25 miles through the bush and bugs after a mechanical breakdown east of Cree lake sk!
that being said now I always carry a Inreach and radio and sure the hell wouldn't be without! I think most people have never really been involved in life threatening situations in the backcountry and really don't understand how quickly things can become deadly serious and how difficult rescue can be!
I think there are a lot of super capable individuals on here that can get themselves out of anything but there are also a lot that just haven't had the same opertunitys as some of the rest of us to learn these skills. Thankfully we can all benifit from the tech now available!
I have also been on a few unplanned hikes in my younger years.

Catrider16

Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with today's electronic's to help in finding your way out 95% of the time, its that 5% when weather doesn't co-operate or batteries fail.
As part of our training you needed to complete a week in the wilderness with a map, compass and very basic gear and ration's on your person, on your own.
Your blind folded and flown out by helli and dropped off, once on the ground blind fold come off, helli fly's off and you won't see anyone till your out or rescued. You now can look at the map to figure your way home. Its generally 50-55 miles on foot over rugged terrain. You need to have wit to remain half sane, which is 75-80% of the training.
I highly recommend anyone going in to the wilderness in what ever sport they choose to take a basic out doors course covering basic survival techniques and compass map reading.
This would only add to their arsenal of skill's.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes, the back-country is beautiful. Yes, the back-country can be a bitch! I should maybe, no I'm going to start another thread as this topic shouldn't get mired in this presumably electronic thread. Go to "Start a Fire" in Snowmobile Chat.......

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upon further investigation the some wear device is just a communicator not a sat phone hotspot. What a let down.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In revelstoke for the past week I made 10 to 15 sat phone calls in the backcountry all of which connected quickly and only dropped one call. Walked ten steps and turned 90 degrees and it reconnected.

All the calls were made from within the shelter of tree cover not any ridges or peaks.

Top Bottom